Bachelor of Security Analysis (Asia-Pacific) Degree (1 Viewer)

romancandle

HSC
Anyone doing this course?

Whats it like? and can you combine it with law?

Ive heard its almost a garruntteed place in ASIO or DFAT, but are there any other jobs on offer?

Evilo

HSC
i've got a mate doing it - hes really enjoying it.
He has troubles with the language component, but otherwise its great.

Jobs are also in the private sector too - particularly in global companies that operate in the area.

I'm not sure about the combination with law - maybe one of the other students can clear that up.

Last edited:

Hercules6

HSC
Hey

I've just discovered this degree, and am very interested in it.
can someone please clear this up?, am i right in understanding that you can take electives in any faculty? - does this mean that i could take all of my electives as psychology courses?

Any advice / feedback would be massively appreciated

cheers

Davo1111

HSC
N/A
http://asianstudies.anu.edu.au/Bachelor_of_Security_Analysis_(Asia-Pacific)
http://studyat.anu.edu.au/programs/3551XBSECA;overview.html
ANU said:
Degree Requirements

The Bachelor of Security Analysis (Asia-Pacific) requires completion of 144 units (24 courses) including:

1. Core component: Ten approved core courses (60 units) giving a foundation in security analysis from Faculty of Asian Studies offerings or specifically identified cross-Faculty offerings;

2. Asian language component: An Asian language sequence comprising four courses (24 units) in an Asian language offered by the Faculty. Students planning to pursue the Faculty of Asian Studies Honours program, must take an Asian language major (eight courses);

3. Elective component: Ten courses (60 units) unprescribed. This allows a student the option to take a relevant major in another Faculty. It also allows the taking of further language courses. Students pursuing Honours must draw their additional four Asian language courses from this elective area.

freaksoutalot

HSC
this is the degree im interested in.

either this one or B. arts international relations.

Sammy-Blue

HSC
Hercules6 said:
Hey

I've just discovered this degree, and am very interested in it.
can someone please clear this up?, am i right in understanding that you can take electives in any faculty? - does this mean that i could take all of my electives as psychology courses?

Any advice / feedback would be massively appreciated

cheers
Yes but you're better off majoring in your chosen language.

Sammy-Blue

HSC
romancandle said:
Anyone doing this course?

Whats it like? and can you combine it with law?

Ive heard its almost a garruntteed place in ASIO or DFAT, but are there any other jobs on offer?
You can't combine it with any other degree.

Hercules6

HSC
Hi 'Sammy-Blue',

Firstly, what makes you say or justify your argument that it's best to major in your chosen language?
Secondly, although I have no intention of doing so, why can't you study this as a double degree? I am of the opinion that security anaysis is simply a major within the asian studies degree. Thus you could choose one of the many asian studies double degrees then do a cognitive major in security analysis?

I'd be interested in hearing what you've got to say.
Hey, and also, are you currently doing this degree? If so, how is it? find it enjoyable? If not, I suppose you're at ANU in which case how is the university and living in Canberra?

Cheers

Davo1111

HSC
N/A
(for the record - Sammy doesn't do this degree)

Sammy-Blue

HSC
I guess it wouldn't matter if you chose not to pursue the language to a major level, but it would probably put you at a disadvantage when applying for some jobs (or at least, having the extra skill would look good to employers). Either way you shouldn't just waste your electives on courses that have no relevance to you degree (yes, I am having a dig at psych). Degree isn't listed in combination with any others on ANU website, that's all I'm going on. I'd call it a variation of the asian studies degree rather than a major, the major is generally your language or "cognitive" stuff.

I don't do the degree although my electives come from asian studies, and I'll probably be taking more from there next year. I've seen the stuff that you do in sec. analysis and although it doesn't interest me alot I can see why some people would enjoy it.

Won't bother repeating it here but there's a few threads about living in Canberra already, ANU and colleges already up.

Hercules6

HSC
Oh and sammy, thanks for you ridiculously prompt reply... you're a good man, I guess i just never saw it until now.

As for majoring in the language component. I have little doubt that it would not look good/increase employment opportunities.

However, you see, I will not let my education be driven or directed by what I, or the man for that matter, think will offer me the greatest career prospects. For that reason, I plan to chose electives that: tickle my fancy, butter my muffin, or float my boat... so to speak.

Thanks, and all the best

Andrew

Davo1111

HSC
N/A
you're required to do 24 units (4 subjects) as part of your asian language component. Unless you were really bad at languages i would take sammy's advice and major it. The degree is designed for you to pretty much have a language major anyway. I would do the degree with the intention of majoring in an [asian] language.

http://studyat.anu.edu.au/programs/3551XBSECA;majors.html

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)