Bacherlor of Social Science (Criminology) (1 Viewer)

Ausy

HSC
Just wondering if anything that does this course can give me an idea of what it's like, planning to do it next year.

aamslfc

HSC
Just wondering if anything that does this course can give me an idea of what it's like, planning to do it next year.
The criminology part of the degree is interesting and fun. The social science part is not.

As it stands, the degree is too focused on social science and doesn't place enough emphasis on criminology. That's alright if you're a statistics-whore and love progams like SPSS and Nvivo (in which case you're not human), but it's an absolute downer if you're trying to study crime.

Of the core courses, about half are CRIM (though they may have changed the structure since I started). The rest are SLSP subjects, ranging from Research Methods to Social Theory.

Of these SLSP courses, 2001 and 3001 are particularly bad (Research 1 and 2 - god help you if you get George for the former). However, neither compares to 2000 - Political Economy - which is perhaps the worst subject we've ever had the misfortune to take.

However, SLSP3000 with Alan is both interesting and enjoyable, and you'll get the fairest assessments and fairest marking in the whole degree. Similarly, SLSP2002 is also interesting, and though it's hard work, you'll appreciate the hands-on nature of the subject when you apply for a job - it's called Policy Case Studies and will give you an edge if you wish to work in policy once you graduate.

I don't remember much of SLSP courses in first-year, but they were alright.

In terms of CRIM, you do a couple of core courses in both 1st and 2nd year, then you're pretty much left with electives. This would normally be acceptable, but when the imbeciles in the department consistently fail to run any electives...

First year criminology is relatively easy and provides a pretty thorough grounding of the entire area, with a particular focus on current criminal justice issues. Some of these issues are covered in greater depth in the crim electives (when they're actually offered)

In second year, you move onto the legislative and judicial aspects of crime, with CRIM2020 and 2021 looking at criminal law and the criminal justice system in NSW. It's an in-depth study of criminal law and justice, and you'll find it fascinating and thoroughly enjoyable. It's run by Michael Grewcock down in Law and he really knows his stuff (plus he can translate legal jargon into 'Arts-speak')

In 3rd year, you only do CRIM3003, which is harder than it appears, which is marked very strictly, and which is not as good as Leanne makes it sound in first year (though that might change if they force Elaine into retirement, which the idiots are trying to do :mad1:).

I wouldn't have a clue about job prospects. There are the obvious places, like BOCSAR, ASIO, AFP, the Government (Attorney-General, etc. - primarily policy), but you can also work in some strange locations. Indeed, at last week's Careers Q&A, we spoke to former graduates people who had worked for or were working in the RTA and the Department of Transport (that is, planning and implementing transport policy, not crime policy).

So, would I recommend the degree? Short answer, yes. However, I would issue a very big caveat - specifically, be very wary of the social science aspect of the degree. It's incredibly research and statistics-based, which is not indicated in the UAC Guide, and if you're not expecting it (which we weren't) you can be caught off-guard and be stuck with a degree you don't enjoy.

I mean, we do enjoy the degree. It's just that the social science part is often a major pain. But the people are great, the degree is 3 years, and it's immense fun to swear and yell at George and SPSS in the Mathews/Morven Brown Labs.

Ultimately it's your choice, but if you want to to research or policy work, or move into criminal law formulation/enforcement, then you should do the degree.

SFinspired

HSC
LOL about George. The guy is funny and easy going though. Very likeable character but can be up himself at times.

But OMFG - did you have to do a 2500 word literature review for your first semester of 1st year?

^emmie^

HSC
i do social science without the crim bit and i like it it is not all about stats hardly any of it is like 2 courses which are good anyway and its not like its hard stats
i think it is a really good course
LOL about George

^emmie^

HSC
oh and im pretty sure the lit review was not 2500 probly more like 1500 but u need this many words anyways

Ausy

HSC
Thanks for that detailed view on the degree.

PieInTheSky

HSC
it sounds interesting except for the stats bit..im wondering what kind of stats is it..im not the mathematical type in fact last maths i did was in year 10 but im willing to give it a go

tallkid34

In 25 words or less
HSC
However, neither compares to 2000 - Political Economy - which is perhaps the worst subject we've ever had the misfortune to take.
That's probably because you've never had any background in eco before doing that course anyway. I actually don't understand why arts students have to do this.

It's treated as a 3rd year eco course in my degree and I can say that it's not a walk in the park. A lot of reading about diverse economic perspectives that'll be harder to understand if you have no real knowledge of mainstream economics.

I enjoy learning about the different takes on how our economy works but it's still a painful course.

As for social science, it's a load of shit. I did it for a semester and that was all I could take. Seriously though, if you must do it, combine it with an economics degree.

SFinspired

HSC
As for social science, it's a load of shit. I did it for a semester and that was all I could take. Seriously though, if you must do it, combine it with an economics degree.
Well you only did it for one semester. I'm in my first semester and I find the subject really boring and abstract. But I heard it will get better next semester.

Ausy

HSC
If i do Arts, and Major in Criminology do i get the same aspects? Cause yeah, i don't find the social research thing to interesting.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)