Bachlor of Liberal Studies (1 Viewer)

soopacow

Igloo?
HSC
Hi everyone...

I'm doing my HSC this year, and well, I'm interested in parts of every subject. And then I found out about liberal studies in USYD... So I thought I'd ask those that's doing this now, or know people who does...

I'm thinking of putting this as my first preference, oh and also a side note, is it possible to change your preferences again after you receive your UAI results? Say if the UAI I got was 70 (hopefully not >.<), and then I will need to change my first preference to something else, would that be possible after I get my results? Or is it just set. You can't change it, if my first preference was 85, and I got 70, I won't get it? (Sorry if it sounds a bit confusing, I just have loads of questions...)

So, what's it like? What do you do? Do you like it? What are the lectures like? :O What subjects are 'more interesting' than others in your perspective?

Thanks in advance!

tennille

HSC
You can change your uni preferences after you receive your UAI. You can check out the important dates at the UAC website.

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
Yes, you can change preferences after the UAI comes out. Preferences for the main round usually close in the first week of January, UAIs come out in mid-December. (Edit: tennille beat me to it, but yeah.)

There aren't lectures/subjects specific to liberal studies - you just choose from the subjects offered in the arts and science faculties. So the better question to ask is probably 'how are the lectures/subjects in those faculties?'. We can probably help you out more if you give us an idea of what subjects you'd be interested in.

Last edited:

soopacow

Igloo?
HSC
Ok, thanks.

So, you can chose anything from both the arts and science faculty, yes? Then what's the difference between bachlor of liberal studies and bachlor of art & science besides that liberal studies takes 1 year less to finish?

:confused:

Last edited:

Ennaybur

HSC
N/A
that's the thing, i would recommend doing an arts&science, or sciene/arts if I were you. if you want to choose a language and maths then you can take that in the above degrees, whilst still leaving your options open.

I started in liberal but found it too restricting (on a side note you might get sick of explaining what liberal studies is), so i changed degrees - however I could only go to arts OR science. so it's a bit shitty there.

.... holy shit i think i just 'helped' someone :eek:

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
soopacow said:
Ok, thanks.

So, you can chose anything from both the arts and science faculty, yes? Then what's the difference between bachlor of liberal studies and bachlor of art & science besides that liberal studies takes 1 year less to finish?

:confused:
Liberal studies takes 1 year more to finish, not 1 year less.

Main differences apart from that:
-BLibStud requires you to do both an arts major and a science major, whereas BAS requires you to do an arts major or a science major (although you can do both if you want).
-BLibStud gives you a bit more flexibility because you have more time to finish and can therefore do more units.
-BLibStud has different core units to BAS. BLibStud: a language, some maths/stats and some english/lingustics. BAS: some economics/business and socio-legal studies.

Not really massive differences. They're quite similar degrees.

soopacow

Igloo?
HSC
Triangulum said:

-BLibStud requires you to do both an arts major and a science major, whereas BAS requires you to do an arts major or a science major (although you can do both if you want).
-BLibStud gives you a bit more flexibility because you have more time to finish and can therefore do more units.
-BLibStud has different core units to BAS. BLibStud: a language, some maths/stats and some english/lingustics. BAS: some economics/business and socio-legal studies.

Thank you thank you...! And Ennaybur too!! (man, this choice is getting harder now)

(More questions? I've got too many... sorry :()
Well, I want to do another language, I wouldn't mind the maths, but now the whole English thing is turning me down on BLibStud. Is it 'compulsory' to do some sort of English (related?) subjects in LibStud? (I'm not very attracted to the word 'English' altogether...
:bomb:

Ennaybur

HSC
N/A
seriously, what is stopping you from doing double degree science/arts? five years? I wouldn't worry about that now, you may change when you're in there etc.

it gives you everything lib studies does and more. also you get two degrees out of it, not one unheard of one.

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
As a side note, the UAI for BA/BSci is usually lower than BLibStu so it might just be more expedient to go for that.

soopacow

Igloo?
HSC
Lol, I guess I'll give it a try in Science and Art first... and we'll see how I go in that (if I can make it in lol) :]

And yes, I can be persuaded easily.........

stazi

Nightman
HSC
soopacow said:
I'm thinking of putting this as my first preference, oh and also a side note, is it possible to change your preferences again after you receive your UAI results? Say if the UAI I got was 70 (hopefully not >.<), and then I will need to change my first preference to something else, would that be possible after I get my results? Or is it just set. You can't change it, if my first preference was 85, and I got 70, I won't get it? (Sorry if it sounds a bit confusing, I just have loads of questions...)
Yes, you'll be able to change preferences after you get your result, and it doesn't matter what you set as your upper preferences.
Say you get a UAI of 93, and your preferences are:
1. Combined Law USYD (99.6 cutoff)
2. Engineering (Space/Aeronautical) (98 cutoff)
3. Commerce/Arts (94 cutoff)
4. Arts/Science (93 cutoff)
5. Liberal Studies (88 cutoff)

You would get offered the course you have in 4th place, as it is the highest-preferenced course you have that your UAI meets.

HSC
Yes I do Liberal Studies. It claims to be all flexible, but it's actually quite restricting. I'm feeling it now as I'm doing my compulsory 6cp of a subject in Mathematics and Statistics. :( Oh and for the compulsory communications/analytical subject, you don't have to choose English. There IS Linguistics which is pretty awesome. :) Oh and I do Philosophy, and can I just say that Reality, Ethics & Beauty was awesome and the Society bit in the Society, Self & Knowledge course really sucks. Death to Political Philosophy!

Oh and you have to do 30cp in a language other than English. Not entirely sure about the number.

Good luck with your choice.

Last edited:

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
If LibStud and BAS got rid of their pointless core units they'd be much better degrees. The inclusion of Socio-Legal Studies in the BAS is particularly insane.

kokodamonkey

HSC
as this was brought up in this thread, i think its like the 3rd or 4th of jan that you have to have your pref's "locked in" for the first round. but after that day, when do you find out your offer?

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
kokodamonkey said:
as this was brought up in this thread, i think its like the 3rd or 4th of jan that you have to have your pref's "locked in" for the first round. but after that day, when do you find out your offer?
Main round offers come out at 9pm on January 17.

HamZhao

HSC
To the Poster,

Since everyone else have covered the Liberal Studies Degree in a nutshell already, I'd just like to say that with the compulsory units, you DON'T have to do them in ur first year.

Basically, the compulsory maths unit and the comm./language unit u can do anytime during ur degree so long as u complete them b4 the degree is done.

And yea, u have to study at least 5 semesters of language (30 credit points worth) - it's a requirement. On the bright side, u can use it as ur arts major:). That means u would be able to free up quite a few credit points in ur intermediate, and especially senior year, so u can dabble in a couple of electives etc. (heapz of options there!!!)
That's my plan anyways. :)

But yeah, it's a fairly rad degree (biased as I do it), but give it a shot and see how it turns out.

I think u'd be fine with ur subjects - the scaling seems quite good.

Good luck :)

P.S. : You may want to check out the B.Lib Studies (International) Degree if u get the high UAI (98.5 I think)

HSC
Triangulum said:
If LibStud and BAS got rid of their pointless core units they'd be much better degrees. The inclusion of Socio-Legal Studies in the BAS is particularly insane.
Yeah well said. I'd just be happy if they removed the compulsory maths bit.

becthelank

Study Avoider
HSC
Triangulum said:

Isnt the uai way higher for BAS?? and you cant do languages...i really want to continue my french!

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
UAI is lower for BAS. LibStud is in the high 80s, BAS is 75. And you can do a language in the BAS, you just don't have to.

soopacow

Igloo?
HSC
HamZhao said:
To the Poster,

Since everyone else have covered the Liberal Studies Degree in a nutshell already, I'd just like to say that with the compulsory units, you DON'T have to do them in ur first year.

Basically, the compulsory maths unit and the comm./language unit u can do anytime during ur degree so long as u complete them b4 the degree is done.

And yea, u have to study at least 5 semesters of language (30 credit points worth) - it's a requirement. On the bright side, u can use it as ur arts major:). That means u would be able to free up quite a few credit points in ur intermediate, and especially senior year, so u can dabble in a couple of electives etc. (heapz of options there!!!)
That's my plan anyways. :)

But yeah, it's a fairly rad degree (biased as I do it), but give it a shot and see how it turns out.

I think u'd be fine with ur subjects - the scaling seems quite good.

Good luck :)

P.S. : You may want to check out the B.Lib Studies (International) Degree if u get the high UAI (98.5 I think)
Well, since you've also mentioned it, what is the difference between liberal studies and liberal studies (international)? Of course by that I mean excluding the part where the int'l degree needto have at least a semester overseas and a 75+ average (I think?), and the huge almost 15 UAIs apart... otherwise, what is the difference? If any? I mean, you still can go study abroad in university overseas, even if you're just doing liberal studies (without the int'l) right?

Though I really doubt I'd get 99 UAI, because I out of all things, I can't do chemistry............ I'll probably never understand chemistry anyways.... sigh...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)