backup courses for university (1 Viewer)

HSC
N/A
hi. i was just wondering if you all have back up options in your nine preferences. like the courses where you don't really know much about but you have it on the 9th spot because it has a low uai cut off.

mine is international studies with 91..is that too risky?

santaslayer

HSC
You can change the preferences after you recieve your UAI.
91.00 is quite high, but if you believe that that is your ability, then go for it.

ishq

brown?
HSC
Is there any need to have back ups as yet? These are our first choices, with us having a fair estimate of what we expect. I'm going to go for my top 9 within my UAI range. Because we can change these anytime we want - should our UAI's drop way below our expectations, then yeah, it cant hurt.

Nothing is risky at this stage, I think.
Of course, I could be wrong.

And 91 is a LOW UAI cut off?

HSC
N/A
no, 91 is pretty alright but not the score i want.
i was given a high estimate so yeh, i think i am guaranteed a >90 at the normal pace i am going.

RyddeckerSMP

Go The Knights!
HSC
My lowest one is like 80 i think or something, but seeing as you can change your preferences when you get your UAI, then there's no real worries then......

tennille

HSC
Like others have mentioned, there is nothing to worry about because you can always change your preferences after you get your UAI.

Peartie

HSC
My lowest will be a 70.00 @ UNE for International Studies
(and B LANG)

toeknee

HSC
I wonder what a North Sydney or James Ruse back up would be...
lol back up--actuarial studies or ANU's PhD at 99+ uai a piece.

I think 91 is too high anyway because if you change your preferences wouldn't that mean you get a late round offer which is risky? (like for the early place subjects)

l-mercedes-l

Has left the building :D
Thanks to everyone who went out of their way to he
HSC
backups

How did u guys go about choosing backups?

I know that i want to do physiotherapy, and that is all i can ever see myself doing - working in the health industry in the hospital system, i like people and the idea of being able to make them better.(how corny) I know i can't do medicine because i havent taken the UMAT or anything. The inconvenient thing is physio has a cut off >UAI 97and im starting to panic about not getting there and not having back up subjects i am interested in and want to do.

Can anyone else aiming at the health industry share their backup preferences? Coz that would be great

Im currently taking Adv Eng, Ext Eng, Mathematics, PDHPE, Chemistry and Biology.

Last edited:

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC
sikeveo said:
My back up is 96.4.

Physio is 94.10. Dont stress.
96.4?? are u certain you will get over that..

alissa_xoxo

Share the Love.
HSC
My back-up was a B Arts (Psy), UAI of 80..

After screwing up my ranks, i don't even think i'll get 80 :(

This forum depresses me lol

l-mercedes-l

Has left the building :D
Thanks to everyone who went out of their way to he
HSC
thanks...

if i go to newcastle uni coz its my local uni i need about 94 which hopefully will be ok...

is anyone else putting anything on there preferences that is really low... my biggest fear is not getting into uni coz then i wouldnt know where to go from there...

im considering putting nursing... hmmm.... 70?

HSC
You should always be honest in your UAC preferences. Always put the course you want to do most in the first preference, then second etc etc etc.

Of course, after you get your UAI you may say: "hmm, I only got 70.00 so I won't get into my first preference course which needs 80.00". But always put the one you are able and WANT to do in the first preference.

I don't even think the universities know what preference you put the course at. I think they just look at whether you fit the entry criteria and send it back to UAC and UAC then spits out what you have been granted (but only the course with the highest preference that you were accepted into).

HSC
l-mercedes-l said:
thanks...
im considering putting nursing... hmmm.... 70?
My mum is a registered nurse and she always told us that she would kill us if we ever chose nursing. I think thats only because she has done it for 16 years :D

But Charles Sturt University has a good nursing course. It was one of the first universities with nursing when hospitals stopped doing 'hospital training'. But it wasn't called CSU back then, it was the Mitchell College of Advanced Education. They do Nursing in Bathurst and also Wagga Wagga I think.

Considering you're from Newcastle, Bathurst would be the best for you (if you were to be selected by any CSU campus) because its closer to Newcastle than Wagga Wagga is.

Bachelor of Nursing:
http://www.csu.edu.au/courses/ug/hea/nur/

CSU UAI cut-off: 70.00
No pre-req HSC subjects.

Last edited:

Jago

el oh el donkaments
HSC
my 9th preference is B comm at ANU for 85UAI. i also considered having a backup of 90.05, but decided better safe than sorry.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
MasterOfDisgyis said:
You should always be honest in your UAC preferences. Always put the course you want to do most in the first preference, then second etc etc etc.

Of course, after you get your UAI you may say: "hmm, I only got 70.00 so I won't get into my first preference course which needs 80.00". But always put the one you are able and WANT to do in the first preference.

I don't even think the universities know what preference you put the course at. I think they just look at whether you fit the entry criteria and send it back to UAC and UAC then spits out what you have been granted (but only the course with the highest preference that you were accepted into).
Not true, often alot of scholarships require that u put the university at the top, or in the top 3 of ur preferences.

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
Not true, often alot of scholarships require that u put the university at the top, or in the top 3 of ur preferences.
And most people don't get the scholarships for the lower UAI courses. The most equitable scholarships out there are ones funded by the Government, because the universities (from what I have read) have no say (or very little say) in who gets them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)