Bad handwriting affecting ATAR? (1 Viewer)

wogboy23

HSC
Hi all,
I have HORRENDOUS handwriting, yet still remain somewhat optimistic for a good ATAR (preferably 95-99)
My handwriting was so bad that all my teachers obviously suggested I improve it, but I even had to read some of my trials to the teachers marking them.
Could I have an ATAR estimate on these marks and rankings (my averages also included)
Advanced English trial: 95 average: 96 Rank 1/19
English Extension 1 trial: 48 average: 96 rank 1/4
English Extension 2 trial major work and reflection statement: 22/25 average 96 rank 1/3
Modern History trial 99 average 98 rank 1/23
Ancient History trial: 97 average 97 rank 1/23
Legal Studies trial 97 average 97 rank 1/10

I am so TERRIFIED because I even actually remember looking back upon finishing on some of my HSC papers and the writing was HORRIBLE!!
I know they always say that HSC markers are professionals and have had experience in reading all sorts of writing. Will they be able to read mine thoroughly and meticulously? (some words look indecipherable :'( )

If there is a vast difference will they refer to my internal marks??
What do you guys think will happen overall? Will they be able to give it its due marks? Will it reach the senior marker? >SCARED<

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
If they can't read it, now they can't read your very good answer now can they?

How can they give you marks for a 20/20 essay if they can't decipher the words? It's common sense, m8.

wogboy23

HSC
my teachers said it would probably end up with the senior marker which is a good thing. they said more time will be taken on it.

passionxmusic

HSC
N/A
If they can't read it, now they can't read your very good answer now can they?

How can they give you marks for a 20/20 essay if they can't decipher the words? It's common sense, m8.
*nods nods* Sucks even more when you're in university writing a b*tchy a** response to S18/S29 of the ACL ~ so much to write with so little time. Bad handwriting means misunderstanding! If the examiner cannot see or depict what you wrote then they cannot obviously give you full marks because that particular sentence can be anything! However horrific your handwriting the examiner should be able to determine your purpose of the essay and they are understanding to the fact you are under extreme time pressure.

Plus look at your marks! I wish I had an inch of your intelligence! Above 95.000 for sure! A 99.95 or at least 99.000? Highly likely so best of luck and don't panic.

PS. if only I could show you how bad my handwriting is to stop you from panicking...

wogboy23

HSC
hmm, if they see the amount of writing for a particular response would they take more time on it. I'm quite a fast writer by nature. Can write up to 6 hsc booklets in 40 mins (usually 5)

passionxmusic

HSC
N/A
hmm, if they see the amount of writing for a particular response would they take more time on it. I'm quite a fast writer by nature. Can write up to 6 hsc booklets in 40 mins (usually 5)
They definitely would. You can't just presume the grades of one person through the first page ~ some essays don't reach a purpose until the second or third page (I know my law/management units don't until the last page). Good Luck anyhow. What course did you want to get in btw?

wogboy23

HSC
They definitely would. You can't just presume the grades of one person through the first page ~ some essays don't reach a purpose until the second or third page (I know my law/management units don't until the last page). Good Luck anyhow. What course did you want to get in btw?
Thanks for the hope and encouragement! I was hoping to get into law! seems a bit ambitious though...

passionxmusic

HSC
N/A
Thanks for the hope and encouragement! I was hoping to get into law! seems a bit ambitious though...
You my friend will be a great lawyer don't let your fears of bad handwriting hold you down. With Accounting I have to do three sets of law units. They're okay. But it depends what field of law you plan to get into. Anything outside contracts, taxation and consumer law is beyond me. I only remember half the sections of the ACL etc.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Does anyone have tips for neater handwriting? I can't work out why mine is quite messy, I think its something to do with how I link the letters?

I don't understand how my writing has deteriorated, in junior school it was fine but I've had two comments from teachers that it's a hard to decipher lately. How do I make it neater?

passionxmusic

HSC
N/A
Does anyone have tips for neater handwriting? I can't work out why mine is quite messy, I think its something to do with how I link the letters?

I don't understand how my writing has deteriorated, in junior school it was fine but I've had two comments from teachers that it's a hard to decipher lately. How do I make it neater?
Everyone's handwriting is readable (unless its cursive)... as soon as you write more than two pages your hands just die and becomes lazy and your handwriting becomes messier because of this as it no longer has the capability to perform efficiently. My tip is to use pens with heavy lids (or attach something such as a rubber on the top end of your pen) as they help balance things out or get use to writing more then typing. Hand exercises help a little as well but do not do them before an exam.

wogboy23

HSC
passionxmusic, thanks for the kind words and yes hoping for the best .Would you like me to upload a pic of my writing and what it looks like to show you just how bad it gets (and in some cases, it may look like this in my HSC tests?)

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
The time given to you is good enough to write a decent essay. As long as you keep writing.

passionxmusic

HSC
N/A
passionxmusic, thanks for the kind words and yes hoping for the best .Would you like me to upload a pic of my writing and what it looks like to show you just how bad it gets (and in some cases, it may look like this in my HSC tests?)
No need. Glad to help and best of luck. University is not to shabby so don't panic about that either. Its easy to get Ds as long as you do well in your assessments.

passionxmusic

HSC
N/A
The time given to you is good enough to write a decent essay. As long as you keep writing.
True but some people tend to over emphasise on short answers rather than extended responses. Depends if you're the type who can get your answer down efficiently and effectively. If not then you need to understand how to l prioritise questions and time.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
True but some people tend to over emphasise on short answers rather than extended responses. Depends if you're the type who can get your answer down efficiently and effectively. If not then you need to understand how to l prioritise questions and time.
That's true. Knowing how much to write for those is important. I say two paragraphs for a two mark question, half a page for a three mark question or so.

wogboy23

HSC
[ATTAC28112011019.jpg28112011017.jpg

1st attachment is the worst my writing can get - probz for the15 marker in legal and module b essay in advanced english :(

Attachments

passionxmusic

HSC
N/A
[ATTACView attachment 23725View attachment 23723

1st attachment is the worst my writing can get - probz for the15 marker in legal and module b essay in advanced english :(
Thats not too bad. Very elegant. I do bubble letters. Your handwriting isn't as bad as some doctors haha. No need to panic I am sure they can read it. If they can read my horrible cursive writing they can make do with yours. XP

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)