bad marks (1 Viewer)

jimmayy

HSC
ok

im kinda not one of ur top student academic people but i really want help to improve myself for my yearly's

i did quiete bad =/

i got 45% in physics
40% engineering
50% general maths =/
46% biology
56% ancient history
80% english witch is perfectly fine for me i guess xD
and studies of religion with 90% :)

quiete happy with english and religion

im worried bout my other subjects.. As im not a academic student
i work hard i do well in classes as in i do well in assessments and so on but when it comes to tests i choke or fail =/

could i please have some really useful adivce to get my grades improved and also to be focused abit more im doing 2 hours of study a day now i guess to improve but what else could help me

bored of sc

HSC
Being good at assignments and not too flash at exams is quite normal.

It seems as though you may be struggling with the time constraints and pressures of examinations. So I suggest you ask your teacher for practise exams (or more practise exams), completely these in the time conditions and asking your teacher to mark it. Maybe, you need to adapt your exam technique too. Problems with exam technique include failing to finish due to slowing work, not answering the question, not knowing what the verbs in a question mean (e.g. analyse, explain, evaluate etc), not thinking clearly (often as a result of nerves, anxiety, lack of confidence or being over-confident), reading the questions but thinking about something else (lack of concentration) etc.

Do you think your exam tehnique needs changing? Study habits need refreshing? Or maybe there is an irrational negative thought associated thought that happens in exams that makes you think you are going to go bad!

jimmayy

HSC
Its normal?

wow. I guess i struggle with the pressure my parents give me, as they always say
"go study, we never see you studying" i tell em how they feel they dont listen i guess thats the problem mainly. I use to do well in exams at least 75-80%
now my confidence is now dropping. I understand those verbs as much as possible i always read my question carefully and thoroughly.
I just want to do well and get myself on track onwards to university =]

hmmm i guess i shud get practice exams to do and revise as long as the knowledge gets in my head. I think i do lack not thinking clearly

thanks for bringing these up really helps :) but mostly as i said it ma be my parents always forcing me to study in the end xD

jimmayy

HSC
tutoring i go on saturdays as it is free, my school teachers pop by in and help
but it somehow dont really work maybe as there are plenty of us there. Or just cause its free to come in and need help with what were doing.

yer8899

HSC
set a goal.
what do you want to do after school?
what uni course do you want to do?
which uni do you want to go to?
what is the uai for the course you want to do?

if you answer all these questions now, you will have something to aim for and hopefully achieve. also, the fact that you've set a goal will give you the motivation to study. i think that its good that you want to improve your marks in year 11. i slacked off in year 11 and i am really regretting it. just ask lots of questions to your teachers if you dont understand something and also use the bos resource section.

jimmayy

HSC
i slacked off 7-10 it was natural but when i hit year 11 and people in my school are doing good and all i decided

i dont wanna waste my parents money by them sending me to school and not doing those hard yards. Now im serious about my studies i really wanna earn my way into uni and work effing hard xD i really wanna be those students that slacked off then work extremely hard im aiming that hard just to get where i want
70 + UAI will be fine for me xD

btw may i please have the link to the bos study resource guide im not familiar here yet xD

jazzbaby

HSC
some of my friends tutor through the shak (maroubra) at unsw
i dont know the details
but i know its free
and it seems to be beneficial

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
Study smart and consistently, and continue to persevere, even with good or bad marks :uhhuh:. Your English and SOR marks are quite good :). Since they're of a high standard, concentrate on your weaknesses. Hope that helped..

jellybelly59

HSC
Accept ur bad marks and move on cause the wave of assessments ain't gonna stop. :D there's room for improvement so start studying consistently (study smart as razizi ALWAYS says) and get ur exam and assessment skills up to scratch.

HSC guy

HSC
I'm the complete opposite. I usually go great in exams and go badly in assessments that are done at home. Just ask teachers about where they think you're going wrong and do practise papers under exam conditions.

laurasia

HSC
N/A
dw folks
year 11 marks dont even count much
year 12 is when the big guns start

jst improve and ask teachers what you did wrong

11kloseboy

HSC
N/A
You better start cramming. Hitting the books should be automatic for senior students in High School.

jimmayy

HSC
yeahh thanks alot for the pointers and tips

also yeah i know year 11 dosnt count xD but my parents xD haha are one hella of people who tell me to study like 24/7 xD
its annoying and yeahh but yeahh i like the pointers and tips xD

thanks alot guys

solomarc20

*Yawn
HSC
N/A
The funny thing is that basically every1 screws up Y11 because it is such a big step up from Y10. Ppl generally don't start going with studying and doing well until about Term 4...

For example, my marks weren't wanted in Y11, but they picked up substantially in Y12! Just use the year to get used to the course

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
Dont stress this year. The way I took year 11 was a practise for year 12. I didnt care if i stuffed up things and i used it as an opportunity to learn from my mistakes.

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
Exphate said:
Tell them to stop being asian.
Lol or Indian ;).

My tips: Be focused and committed of every single task you get, even if they don't count. Build up upon your determination and commitment towards your studies, even in extra-curricular like sport. Revise consistently and make studying a habit [Refer to signature quote]. Then in the end, say to yourself: 'Did I do my best?'. If you did, *applauds*.

All the best.

Rhanoct

zzzzz
HSC
start going to 2-3 different tutoring places if you can afford it
read 1-2 hours a night
study 2-4 hours a night, make sure you know everything from y7-11
pick it up in y12

99+ uai gj

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)