Bad Math + Medical Career hopes = success? (1 Viewer)

diametric

HSC
Hi,

I'm in year 10. And well, yes, I know that it's a tad early to start thinking about this sort of thing, but, with the situation I am in (an accelerated school, i.e: prelim. in year 10, HSC in yr 11, and so on), I'm forced to.

I want a medical career, specifically surgery. I know that achieving such a goal requires a lot of effort, which I am willing to put in.. but I think I've hit a roadblock.

Math. I suck at it. No matter how hard I try, my brain cannot properly understand the concepts. My SC mark was 77 for Math and I've really been struggling this year, especially with functions and the like.

So, I plan to drop Math and pick up 4 units of English.

By dropping Math, have I lost all chances of finishing HS, entering into a med. course and then into surgery?

I plan to take the following subjects for the HSC:

4 Units of English
Biology
Chemistry
Legal Studies...

SO what you think?

bboundy

HSC
Check out the UNI guides and see what subjects are assumed knowledge, and which you have to have done. If a doctors degree requires math, get a tutor or somethin.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
No you haven't, especially if you perform well in biology/chemistry... I doubt the interviewer will give you too much trouble and you're in NSW so as far as I know there's no mandatory pre-requesite math for medicine.

(enigma)

no soup for you
HSC
depends on which uni you go to. some (most? not sure which) have hsc maths as a prerequisite for any science course.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
(enigma) said:
depends on which uni you go to. some (most? not sure which) have hsc maths as a prerequisite for any science course.
In NSW these are generally recommendations and not mandatory for entrance to the course.

diametric

HSC
I am aware of the fact that Mathematics is part of the assumed knowledge criteria for uSyd, not too sure about UNSW.. However, does assumed knowledge mean pre-req.?

Last edited:

bboundy

HSC
No, just that if they say something involving math they're assuming you know what they mean.

diametric

HSC
So, generally speaking 97+ UAI, acing the UMAT and the interview is good enough for uni's like UNSW or uSyd?

They won't turn me 'round because I havn't completed Math for the HSC?

I'm sorry if I sound like a worry wart, I just want to be REALLY sure before I drop Math..

I just know that if I continue with it, it will adversely affect my UAI.

modezero

HSC
If you don't do maths, you won't get into Usyd med, as their undergrad med involves TSP science which has a maths requirement.
It may be a moot issue as the UAI cut-off is 99.95 (no UMAT at Usyd)

aussiechica7

HSC
USyd's interview cutoff is like 99.90 so no 97 isn't good enough. its fine for unsw with a half decent umat.

i can't think of any undergrad med course that has maths as a prereq EXCEPT for umelb. there u need to do any 2 of methods, spec and physics which for a NSWer would be any 2 of the following 3: 3u maths, 4u maths or physics.

however 2 get a csp unbonded place at umelb u need 99+ anyway. if ur not confident w maths and u take it u might not get 99+. so its up 2 u whether ur willing 2 risk it or not.

ooh, also, at utas u have 2 have taken physics (though i think that will change by the time u r in med).

u could always call the med faculties, ask their prereqs, and if its something u don't have, ask if u can take a bridging course.

so just curious, y do u want 2 b a dr?

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
well u could.. as long as u have a high enough UAI..

Maths is useful.. since in medicine there are some equations.. but unless ure in like anaesthesia or physicianship.. there is no real need to..

i think that 2u advanced maths is all u need.. and u need to do statistics.. in medicine there is SHIT load of statistics..

diametric

HSC
..I love UNSW:
pre-req. is:
Undergraduate Medicineand Health Sciences Admission Test (UMAT) and interview
assumed knowledge:
english standard (i'll most likely be doing 4 units)
recommended:
chemistry, which i will be doing.

^_^

EDIT: The why I want to be a doctor comment? .. I've always wanted to become a doctor. Ever since I was a kid. But, well, then, I didn't know too much about the gore, etc..

And then I started getting into documentaries, medical journals, etc.. love it! Especially surgery, I'm quite keen on either cardiotheurasic surgery or neurosurgery.. But, I can think about that stuff later on.

And the money isn't too shabby. I just feel.. attached to it.

Last edited:

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
diametric said:
So, generally speaking 97+ UAI, acing the UMAT and the interview is good enough for uni's like UNSW or uSyd?
Kind of. It wouldn't be good enough for USyd (as mentioned) since they require top 99.9+ (or 99.95+?) marks. At UNSW both the average and median UAI entry scores are around 99.5ish. Of course, if you ace the UMAT, getting around 200+, then you could get in with a UAI between 97 and 98. I think these are the score ranges required for getting an interview offer:

152 100.0
169 99.5
176 99.0
192 98.0
205 97.0
219 96.0
232 95.0

diametric

HSC
I think I can really ace the HSC if I do the subjects I like. At least, I hope so. I think that I can achieve a UAI of 96 or so +.. 96 minimum. And I've gone through the UMAT.. very briefly, and I think, well that, hopefully, God willing, 210+/300 is achievable.

And I think that trying to gain admission into UNSW would be the best idea.

aussiechica7

HSC
only about 1% of all umat takers get over 200 on the UMAT. what makes u so sure u will? have u bn studying 4 it? (pls no one give me that crap that u can't study 4 it)... u have 4 months, start now. personally i like prep courses but there r non prep course ways u can prepare. remember, especially if u get below 99, ur umat will b just as important or more so than you uai for getting into med! so respect it :)

pointy what kind of maths do physicians have 2 do? I <3 maths.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
Cockcroft–Gault equation for eGFR is very common.. but u mostly use a calculator..

there is one for acid-base instability and diagnoses..

look at harrisons.. lots of them in there :)

Edit: DOSING!!! lolz this is one of the most important parts :$.. like... bioavailability.. and if they tell u an antibiotic is 2mg/kg of lean body mass.. then u use the recommendations.. or its not going to work.. simple stuff tho..

Last edited:

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
diametric said:
I think I can really ace the HSC if I do the subjects I like. At least, I hope so. I think that I can achieve a UAI of 96 or so +.. 96 minimum. And I've gone through the UMAT.. very briefly, and I think, well that, hopefully, God willing, 210+/300 is achievable.

And I think that trying to gain admission into UNSW would be the best idea.
Keep in mind that the figures I posted were UMAT 'scores' rather than 'percentiles'. As aussiechica mentioned, it's quite difficult to get over 200 (score) on the UMAT. Just work to the best of your ability and start studying for the UMAT early on (sign up with a UMAT prep program in the next couple weeks and start doing the occaisional practice exam). Also, apply to a wide range of universities. Each uni has its own entry scheme and you will often find that certain schemes will favour your results more than others. In any case, if undergraduate options fail you can always go for graduate medicine. Good luck :).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)