BAH B science vs B science (advanced) (1 Viewer)

Alcest

HSC
N/A
Ok folks, if I could get some opinion/advice/whatever. I'm planning to do either science or advanced science, and then move into graduate medicine after completing the degree. I'd like to do advanced science at usyd, but didn't get the uai. However, I can do it at uws, wollonging or nsw, or regular science at usyd. So my question is whether or not adv science will offer me a significant advantage over the plain Bachelor's degree, especially when considering this particular career path.

SL33pY

ceo of the banana factory
HSC
science and science(advanced) is basically the same course, except i think science advanced people have to choose a certain amount of advanced subjects to fulfil the course outlines, unlike normal science people who just have to do normal subjects...however from my knowledge im pretty sure regular science students can pick advanced subjects after they get permission from the course co-ordinators... so u can basically make a regular science degree an adv science degree based on your subjects selections...

i would pick usyd or unsw over the other 2 unis you mentioned, and i doubt the adv science would offer a major advantage over a regular science degree...

hope this helps...

loser101

HSC
at UNSW when i did Mathematics, when they have an advance subject and a normal subject, normally the exam is exactly the same except for the last question in the exam. the advance subject is also scaled higher aswell.

it is only worth doing advanced if you can handle it. i.e can get at least a DN in the normal course.

paramount8000

HSC
I have the same plan of doing B.Sc/ B.Sc (advanced) then hopefully Grad med. however i'm not sure what i'll do if i dont make it to grad med. my planned majors are neuroscience and nanoscience. if i dont get in, mebbe i'll do grad. dip. psychology, and pursue that avenue (one i actually turned away from for medicine).

What your plans are if you dont make it to Grad med?

Moldy81

UWS Course Info
HSC
In terms of considering B/Science vs B/Science (Advanced) as a pathway to Medicine at UWS, one is not advantageous over the other for admission purposes. The higher the GPA you achieve the greater the chance you will have of getting into Medicine, so whichever course you think you will perform better in is the best one to use as a UWS Medicine pathway. A Distinction average at least would be required, in conjunction with a high enough UMAT score and an interview. You also don’t get any advanced standing so you should just study what you will enjoy and do well in. Hope this helps 

Alcest

HSC
N/A
paramount8000 said:
I have the same plan of doing B.Sc/ B.Sc (advanced) then hopefully Grad med. however i'm not sure what i'll do if i dont make it to grad med. my planned majors are neuroscience and nanoscience. if i dont get in, mebbe i'll do grad. dip. psychology, and pursue that avenue (one i actually turned away from for medicine).

What your plans are if you dont make it to Grad med?
I don't have a particular plan at the moment, however I am fairly confident that I would be able to make it in if I choose to dedicate myself (I achieved a good uai whilst being little more than a lazy arse). Failing that, I'm sure the study at uni would give me a clear direction.

Lodgic said:
My advice would be to do the normal b sci. course at USYD or UNSW for your 1st year and if you do good enuf you can get into the advanced course - that way you can have a good estimate of what you can handle in terms of study.
That sounds like fairly good advice, I think I'll do this.

Thanks for the help everyone :)

Alcest

HSC
N/A
Moldy81 said:
In terms of considering B/Science vs B/Science (Advanced) as a pathway to Medicine at UWS, one is not advantageous over the other for admission purposes. The higher the GPA you achieve the greater the chance you will have of getting into Medicine, so whichever course you think you will perform better in is the best one to use as a UWS Medicine pathway. A Distinction average at least would be required, in conjunction with a high enough UMAT score and an interview. You also don’t get any advanced standing so you should just study what you will enjoy and do well in. Hope this helps 
I'd plan to study med at USYD rather than UWS. It did help however, but at open day, the lecturers said that a credit average was needed, not advanced. Then the GAMSAT, then a series of interviews.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)