Balancing uni and casual work (1 Viewer)

Tenax Propositi

there's just no oxygen
HSC
How many hours a week of casual work do you think is suitable to balance with uni if you are doing a double degree, one of which is Law.

Of course, uni is the main priority in this scenario with a goal of achieving at the very least a credit average.

How many hours a week do you work?

How do you handle the balancing act?

By the way, my first semester is mainly arts subjects and I have to go 4 days a week.

Last edited:

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
Wouldn't ya rather be earning your own money than relying on the taxpayer for it?

Im going to be going to uni 3 days and hopefully working the other 4 (at least first year so I can build up a bit of money)

Tenax Propositi

there's just no oxygen
HSC
Originally posted by Ms 12
Wouldn't ya rather be earning your own money than relying on the taxpayer for it?
I think it's people's own perogative, especially if they suffer from circumstances which makes them eligible. I would drain every cent from centrelink if i could.

But i find YA unsecure for me personally at the moment because of their incompetency with handling and analysing means tests.

Last edited:

fringey

HSC
At least u can get it & im moving away from home too. But, if i could get it I would suck every cent out of them too so good on ya.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
if you can get money, there is no point working extra hours to make the same or less of what YA would give you if you didn't work. because it just takes away study time.

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
It just shits me cos you aren't 'sucking centrelink dry', you are taking the hardearned money that I have to pay to the government and getting it for nothing. Centrelink is there to help people in genuine need, not those who want something for nothing and use at is an excuse to avoid that little bit of extra work. I would never be eligible for YA as it is means tested and my parents' income would immediately proclude me, but they don't just hand this money to me, I have to work for myself. In the end there is no difference between yours and my situations. My mentality is if I have to work for my money, so should everyone else who is capable.

EDIT: Not a personal attack on anyone, my feelings in general

suz

HSC
I've got myself a three day timetable and I think I'm gonna work two days and have the other two days for relaxing and uni stuff

s2ophie

HSC
i hate people who are in it just to the rip off the system. For example my friend has worked this year and earned about $8000 but she is likely to be able to prove independence because her father is a GP and she has been on his books (as a tax deduction for him!) for the past year and she should be over $16000. Its quite a ridiculous system because my mum is a nurse and her income is over the threshhold. for a family of four kids that wage doesn't go too far but the system assumes that my parents can easily afford to send me away. hmph!

bubz :D

the last laugh
HSC
hmm.. is working three nights a week (around seventeen hours) ok? i still havent' gotten my timetable sorted out yet

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by Ms 12
It just shits me cos you aren't 'sucking centrelink dry', you are taking the hardearned money that I have to pay to the government and getting it for nothing. Centrelink is there to help people in genuine need, not those who want something for nothing and use at is an excuse to avoid that little bit of extra work. I would never be eligible for YA as it is means tested and my parents' income would immediately proclude me, but they don't just hand this money to me, I have to work for myself. In the end there is no difference between yours and my situations. My mentality is if I have to work for my money, so should everyone else who is capable.

EDIT: Not a personal attack on anyone, my feelings in general
well don't think that ppl. who choose to study are really "sucking centrelink dry"- coz think abt. it, they in 5 years time will soon start working- and paying taxes, and hence will b paying back all the money that they got off from centrelink as well.

Generator

HSC
N/A
I would just like to point out that there is no need to think that you will have a heavier workload with a double degree than you would with a single. It's a myth.

Youth Allowance... I agree with Ms 12's position, although I cannot see a problem with any student taking what they need, especially when their mum and dad have been tax payers for however many years... I would never accept it, though.

As for casual work... Only you can determine what is appropriate.

Generator

HSC
N/A

The only part of the degree programme that is heavier is the number of years spent at the uni... You still complete the same number of credit points per semester as any other student, and rather than having a number of 'free' credit points as you would in a single degree, those credit points are directed towards the other degree in the combination, and that is how you are able to complete two degrees in five years.

Some may find certain degree combinations as being heavier than another combination or a single degree, but that would vary between each student.

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Well I am going to be (and have been) busting my gut trying to earn money for university.... I am hoping to earn the 16000 over 1st year so I can get YA in the second year so I can do more work experience etc for my course in second year.... my parents earn over the threshold but the financial burden of sending a child away is enormous.... for those earning over the threshold it is still a major financial struggle... lucky we have a family business so from finishing the HSC I have been able to work as much as possible to save up money.

I don't think it's sucking the system dry if you get YA while you study. You are only at uni for 3-5 years normally then u have to get a job and as the others have said you will quickly pay back the government what you were paid in YA when you get a full time job and pay tax.

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
When I referred to 'sucking centrelink dry' it was because some said it a few posts back...I didn't co-in the term myself.

shattermenow

this thread just went off-topic. or, at least its not answering the question. i was wondering the same thing too, and im doing a combined law degree. im going to try out doing 12 hours a week, it sounds too much, but if it really does overwhelm me i'll either cut down or quit the job.

Generator

HSC
N/A
I answered the question. Double degrees do not require any extra effort apart from the extra years, and only you can decide whether 12 hours of employment is appropriate. I manage 12 hours at Coles and also spend at least 3.5 hours a day travelling while studying (for a double degree, too, but as I said that makes no difference), yet I could easily manage 24 given the amount of time that i waste each week. It would differ for other people, though, which is obvious.

HSC
I am doing law/commerce 18 hours a week.
I am working
Wednesday 9pm-1;30am
Friday 9pm-5am
Saturday 10pm-5am

So about 20hour per week part time work.

Hopefully it will go ok... it worked fine for the hsc ;o

edit: and i think i will soon be working thursday nights aswell

*~Dazed~*

fuck a duck
HSC
shit dude you arent going to have a life at all... friday and saturday nights! i was complaining about having to work fris and saturdays finishing at around 10... at least ill have thew rest of the night/morning but fuck you wont be able to do shit all... i feel for you...

and i see uni and causal/part time work as going hand in hand... its just the thing to do. I dont know how someone could be at uni and not word. Not that i've started uni but still..
i think ill be keeping up around 12-15 hours a week depending on how busy it is... should be easy

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)