"Bamboo Ceiling": Where are all the asians? (1 Viewer)

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
http://www.smh.com.au/national/educ...-out-on-leadership-roles-20160418-go8w1u.html

For the past 20 years in a row, one Sydney high school has taken out the top HSC results in the state.

At James Ruse High in Sydney's north-west, an ATAR of above 99 is so expected that it became its own satire song.

"100 ATAR, 100 ATAR, 100 ATAR," year 12 students rapped in a take on Psy's Gangnam Style. "99.95, not good enough".

It is also a school where up to 80 per cent of students come from a language background other than English, most of them from Asian families, according to the NSW Department of Education.

And yet, the statistics show that despite students of Asian origin dominating the academic scale at schools like James Ruse Agricultural High around the country, few rise to the top of the political, business and academic pile.

Australians of Asian descent make up to 12 per cent of the country's population but only four members of the federal Parliament. Of the 17 government departments only one counts a leader of Asian descent as its head.

The statistics are similarly damning in the private sector. Only 1.9 per cent of executive managers and 4.2 percent of directors come from Asian backgrounds, according to a 2013 Diversity Council Australia study.

At the entry level, discrimination, conscious or unconscious, is endemic. On average, a Chinese person must submit 68 per cent more applications to gain employment than a person of Anglo-Saxon descent, according to a 2011 study from the Australian National University.

"For 30 years, James Ruse has been pumping out very clever Asians," said University of Sydney vice-chancellor Michael Spence. "Where are they?"
[...]

turntaker

HSC
Cause most of them are too basement.

Probably just became doctors.

Doctor doesn't really mean leadership role.

Flop21

HSC
A lot of people in those positions are quite old. Were there really as many asians in the school system 30 years ago?

I think we will start to see them popping up in the near future.

(maybe?)

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
Gee, it's almost as if being a valuable, successful employee depends on a lot more things than just your HSC results. It's almost as if being a basement asian who spends all of your free time studying doesn't mean you have all the necessary skills to be productive in the real world.

Last edited:

turntaker

HSC
Gee, it's almost as if being a valuable, successful employee depends on a lot more things than just your HSC results. It's almost as if being a basement asian who spends all of your free time studying doesn't mean you have all the necessary skills to be productive in the real world.
Most of hsc is rote anyway.

I agree with you

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
That's strange, not many asian politicians. Imean, we know that there are exactly the same proportion of asian and white students studying law and attempting to get into poltiics. Don't we? We know that right?

Except we don't know that at all.

BandSixFix

Disillusioned
HSC
http://www.smh.com.au/national/educ...-out-on-leadership-roles-20160418-go8w1u.html

For the past 20 years in a row, one Sydney high school has taken out the top HSC results in the state.

At James Ruse High in Sydney's north-west, an ATAR of above 99 is so expected that it became its own satire song.

"100 ATAR, 100 ATAR, 100 ATAR," year 12 students rapped in a take on Psy's Gangnam Style. "99.95, not good enough".

It is also a school where up to 80 per cent of students come from a language background other than English, most of them from Asian families, according to the NSW Department of Education.

And yet, the statistics show that despite students of Asian origin dominating the academic scale at schools like James Ruse Agricultural High around the country, few rise to the top of the political, business and academic pile.

Australians of Asian descent make up to 12 per cent of the country's population but only four members of the federal Parliament. Of the 17 government departments only one counts a leader of Asian descent as its head.

The statistics are similarly damning in the private sector. Only 1.9 per cent of executive managers and 4.2 percent of directors come from Asian backgrounds, according to a 2013 Diversity Council Australia study.

At the entry level, discrimination, conscious or unconscious, is endemic. On average, a Chinese person must submit 68 per cent more applications to gain employment than a person of Anglo-Saxon descent, according to a 2011 study from the Australian National University.

"For 30 years, James Ruse has been pumping out very clever Asians," said University of Sydney vice-chancellor Michael Spence. "Where are they?"
[...]
Yes. They do get the 'academic marks required'. But most of these roles rely in social contact and face to face communications. I'm not saying they all are like this - but most of these "100 ATAR" individuals are so socially alienated when achieving their marks they fail make connections and in effect rise to the top. They are much better off staying under the radar instead of being outgoing and grasping all opportunities. Obviously I don't say all of them like that - but an enough majority of people.

enoilgam

HSC
The problem is that unlike Japan, China, Korea and to a lesser extent the USA, High School performance isnt a reliable predictor of future success in Australia. In those countries, success at High School sets you up to go to a top uni which in term sets you up for a top role. Conversely, a poor showing at high school really cripples your future prospects. Australia being the land of the fair go, success in HS or Uni doesnt set you up for future success much in the same way.

si2136

HSC
N/A
They're all overseas getting paid heaps more, or they're a doctor. No jobs here in AUS.

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
"Bamboo Ceiling": Where are all the asians?

The problem is that unlike Japan, China, Korea and to a lesser extent the USA, High School performance isnt a reliable predictor of future success in Australia. In those countries, success at High School sets you up to go to a top uni which in term sets you up for a top role. Conversely, a poor showing at high school really cripples your future prospects. Australia being the land of the fair go, success in HS or Uni doesnt set you up for future success much in the same way.
Would you rather a society where people think of suicide in the dozens just cause they can't get a job + grades

Or

Would you rather a society that gives second chances?
From my experiences with Hong Kong , Singaporean, Chinese and Taiwanese relatives / friends, it doesn't sound great (first option ).

The amount of pressure is crazy not only cause their entire life is based on one exam but their value in society is as well.

The amount of societal division based on education and occupation is crazy too.

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
Australia being the land of the fair go, success in HS or Uni doesnt set you up for future success much in the same way.
It has nothing to do with a "fair go". Academic marks alone are not a reliable indicator of future performance and employers know this. They seek people with strong communication skills, leadership potential and the right culture/personality.

enoilgam

HSC
Re: "Bamboo Ceiling": Where are all the asians?

Would you rather a society where people think of suicide in the dozens just cause they can't get a job + grades
Im not saying it should be that extreme. However, I believe the HSC and University should count for a lot more. I dont like the whole "People only care about your ATAR for two weeks after your results" mentality. The system should reward those who do well much more and should make it much more difficult for those that dont. I think Australia should become more of a meritocracy as opposed to the current state of mediocrity.

enoilgam

HSC
It has nothing to do with a "fair go". Academic marks alone are not a reliable indicator of future performance and employers know this. They seek people with strong communication skills, leadership potential and the right culture/personality.
I realise this, hence why school/uni should reflect this to a far higher degree. In the US, you need a combination of grades, SATs, ECs, essays etc to get into the better universities. Going to better unis offers a higher calibre education which opens the door to better opportunities.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Re: "Bamboo Ceiling": Where are all the asians?

Or

Would you rather a society that gives second chances?
From my experiences with Hong Kong , Singaporean, Chinese and Taiwanese relatives / friends, it doesn't sound great (first option ).

The amount of pressure is crazy not only cause their entire life is based on one exam but their value in society is as well.

The amount of societal division based on education and occupation is crazy too.
meanwhile i have friends with frigging awesome marks who can't even get a job

i'd rather a meritocracy

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
"Bamboo Ceiling": Where are all the asians?

meanwhile i have friends with frigging awesome marks who can't even get a job

i'd rather a meritocracy
There is meritocracy. If social skills are the problem (which some people suggest), make an effort to improve them.

Ta da. Equal playing field.

Red_of_Head

HSC
Going to better unis offers a higher calibre education which opens the door to better opportunities.
So how are we increasing the calibre of our unis? Doesn't the USA need all those things mentioned because the competition is so fierce?

enoilgam

HSC
Debatable, or at least its marginal
Im saying in the US, in Australia they are all pretty much equal. Harvard is a vastly superior uni to San Jose State. Sydney University isnt that much better than something like UOW or Notre Dame.

turntaker

HSC
Kebab ceiling is the next thing. "Why are not enough lebs in leadership roles"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)