• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Ban on Gay Marriage (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

eviltama

Mentally Deranged Maniac
HSC
you mean it hasn't already taken time?!

and yes several other countries have already legalised homosexual marriage or homosexual unions, or have a register of homosexual couples and there are several others who are setting up to do so at the moment.
(An exerpt from a website that has more info if you're interested)
"In April 2001, the Netherlands became the first country to allow same-sex couples to marry, granting them all the rights of different-sex married couples. Belgium followed suit in January 2003. In June and July 2003, the Canadian provinces of Ontario and British Columbia began issuing marriage licenses to same-sex couples following rulings by their Courts of Appeal that excluding gay and lesbian couples from marriage is unconstitutional. " http://www.glad.org/rights/OP5-aroundtheworld.shtml

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Making an amendment to the law for a minority group is just a bad idea. Maybe we should legalise polygamy as well to make the Mormons happy?

eviltama said:
you mean it hasn't already taken time?!

and yes several other countries have already legalised homosexual marriage or homosexual unions, or have a register of homosexual couples and there are several others who are setting up to do so at the moment.
(An exerpt from a website that has more info if you're interested)
"In April 2001, the Netherlands became the first country to allow same-sex couples to marry, granting them all the rights of different-sex married couples. Belgium followed suit in January 2003. In June and July 2003, the Canadian provinces of Ontario and British Columbia began issuing marriage licenses to same-sex couples following rulings by their Courts of Appeal that excluding gay and lesbian couples from marriage is unconstitutional. " http://www.glad.org/rights/OP5-aroundtheworld.shtml
*said before

This is Australia not the Netherlands.

Using your logic Australia should legislate against sodomy, because I know many more countries that have illegalised sodomy, as opposed to legalising gay marriage.

Last edited:

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Sweetless_Angel said:
the matter is that gays should have the same rights as others
Explain to me what right you have that gays don't? Homosexuals can marry, they just can't marry a member of the same gender, and for that matter neither can heterosexuals. If heterosexuals could marry, and homosexuals were prohibited from marrying ANYONE then you'd have a cause to cry discrimination.

As it stands they have the same rights.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
i believe in freedom of choice, and that choice should extend to who we marry. if we fall in love with someone of the same gender, why should we not be able to marry them just because both partners will have either the XX or XY chromosomal pairs?

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Chromosomes, typical bio student :rolleyes:

The freedom of choice argument doesnt really have any solid ground to stand on.

According to your "freedom of choice" logic polygamy, incestuous marriages and human-animal unions should all be legalised.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Human-animal unions would be completly different despite how the other one's have logic. An animal can't make a choice like that (or at least express it clearly).

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Xayma said:
Human-animal unions would be completly different despite how the other one's have logic. An animal can't make a choice like that (or at least express it clearly).
By not refuting my other examples I will assume that you agree with me.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Although I personally do not agree with them, polygamy I see no reason why it should be stopped (as long as it isn't in secret).

The other issue I see no moral reason why it should be stopped, although the mental health and relationships would need to be closely examined (especially if it was a sibling thing or parent-child thing). And the increase in vulnrability to a child to birth defets etc should also be examined.

thorrnydevil

Ancient Member
HSC
N/A
Although I agree with polygamy :uhhuh:,I dont think gay marriages should be legalised...commitment cerimonies-yes-but no to legalising it. Just my personal opinion. I have no doubt that in the future it will be legalised, but I just think its wrong.

EDIT: For the moment anyway.

Last edited:

eviltama

Mentally Deranged Maniac
HSC
neo_o said:
Making an amendment to the law for a minority group is just a bad idea. Maybe we should legalise polygamy as well to make the Mormons happy?

This is Australia not the Netherlands.

Using your logic Australia should legislate against sodomy, because I know many more countries that have illegalised sodomy, as opposed to legalising gay marriage.
So then all the other minority groups out there that have laws for themselvse shouldn't have them? (deserved as they may or may not be) Legalise polygamy.. and polyghandry, it doesn't bother me. As far as i'm concerned if you wanna go marry your toilet i wouldn't mind. (I'd think you were a bit whack, but sure go ahead) same with sodomy, sure lets legalise it too... pretty soon every drug known to man is going to be legal so what the hell, why not.
Explain to me what right you have that gays don't? Homosexuals can marry, they just can't marry a member of the same gender, and for that matter neither can heterosexuals. If heterosexuals could marry, and homosexuals were prohibited from marrying ANYONE then you'd have a cause to cry discrimination.

Wrong, as it stands the law (and most religions) are biased towards Catholic/Christian views (so is the dewey decimal system of classification if anyone cared.). So basically if you fall outside those religions and their views then you're f*cked. Heterosexuals are heterosexuals because they 'love' people of the opposite sex. Homosexuals are homosexuals because they 'love' people of the same sex. (We are all people just the same but some people are so narrow minded they fail to see that.) So as its supposed to go we should be able to marry anyone with whom we fall in 'love' with. Thats the social perception of marriage, 2 people in love wanting a deeper commitment to their relationship. The legal position is of course religiously biased because it is a voluntary union only between a man and a woman to the exclusion of all others for life. Now if you belong to another religion you're stuffed, if you're homosexual you're stuffed and if you get divorced you should be stuffed but the church (catholic or christian take your pick) had to do a 180 on that because of the amount of divorcees... but still you can't get married at the main alter, but its still marriage...

So in there somewhere is supposed to be an equal opportunity based system for our society that is not biased towards society itself but yet gives everyone the same rights. BULLSHIT. One person cannot marry another person unless... <insert criteria>. Sorry no equality there.

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
So then all the other minority groups out there that have laws for themselvse shouldn't have them? (deserved as they may or may not be) Legalise polygamy.. and polyghandry, it doesn't bother me. As far as i'm concerned if you wanna go marry your toilet i wouldn't mind. (I'd think you were a bit whack, but sure go ahead)
Legalising polygaming, incestuous marriages, marriage to animals (or marriage to toilets as per your example) and marriages to children under 18 may not bother you, but I think they may bother others.

same with sodomy, sure lets legalise it too... pretty soon every drug known to man is going to be legal so what the hell, why not.
Sodomy is anal sex, not a drug. So answer my hypothetical. You claim that Australia should allow gay marriage because the Netherlands does, why not ban sodomy because so many countries around the world ban IT?

Wrong, as it stands the law (and most religions) are biased towards Catholic/Christian views (so is the dewey decimal system of classification if anyone cared.). So basically if you fall outside those religions and their views then you're f*cked. Heterosexuals are heterosexuals because they 'love' people of the opposite sex. Homosexuals are homosexuals because they 'love' people of the same sex. (We are all people just the same but some people are so narrow minded they fail to see that.) So as its supposed to go we should be able to marry anyone with whom we fall in 'love' with. Thats the social perception of marriage, 2 people in love wanting a deeper commitment to their relationship. The legal position is of course religiously biased because it is a voluntary union only between a man and a woman to the exclusion of all others for life. Now if you belong to another religion you're stuffed, if you're homosexual you're stuffed and if you get divorced you should be stuffed but the church (catholic or christian take your pick) had to do a 180 on that because of the amount of divorcees... but still you can't get married at the main alter, but its still marriage...

So in there somewhere is supposed to be an equal opportunity based system for our society that is not biased towards society itself but yet gives everyone the same rights. BULLSHIT. One person cannot marry another person unless... <insert criteria>. Sorry no equality there.
That slab does not refute what I said.

Homosexuals - Can marry someone of the opposite gender.
Homosexuals - Can't marry someone of the same gender.
Heterosexuals - Can marry someone of the opposite gender.
Heterosexuals - Can't marry someone of the same gender

Your arguing that that doesn't equal equality. Strange.

Last edited:

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
neo_o said:
That slab does not refute what I said.

If that situation was reversed and one could only marry one of the same gender, would you be arguing it?

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Xayma said:
If that situation was reversed and one could only marry one of the same gender, would you be arguing it?
1) That's a stupid hypothetical

2) Disregarding 1) I would still argue that it would be equal, since obviously it would be.

Homosexuals can marry same gender
Homosexuals can't marry different gender
Heterosexuals can marry same gender
Heterosexuals can't marry different gender

Seems like the same deal doesn't it?

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
neo_o said:

That isn't the point though. Of course heterosexuals and homosexuals have 'equal rights', in that regard. The difference however, is in preference, that is, that heterosexuals generally do marry members of the opposite sex, whereas the preference of homosexuals is 'legally' excluded. In that case then, it does seem to constitute some form of discrimination, and as such, truly equal rights are not enjoyed.

Also, there are major differences between same-sex marriage and marriage between humans and animals.. Its the 'slippery slope' argument again, with no real explanation as to why one action opens the floodgates, as it were.

400miles

neo_o said:

Heterosexuals - Can marry someone they love.
Homosexuals - Can't marry somone they love.
Heterosexuals - Can marry someone they choose.
Homosexuals - Can't marry someone they choose.

You keep ignoring this, but I've come to expect that of you.

I've kept out of this whole thread lately but have chosen to reply because I'm so sick of the amount of discriminatory people around me... like you. How annoying is it that you can't see there is nothing abnormal about homosexuality? I think you've really got to grow up a bit and accept that not all people can be like you (thankgod) but yes, we have to accept them anyway. It's so depressing that we live in a society that brandishes such discrimination against people who aren't at all hurting anyone else. That's what I don't get about your point of view. I could understand your objection to homosexual marriage if the union was actually negatively affecting ANYONE... but it's not, and you haven't proven it to be (you conviently ignored this last time and answered with some shit about 'Oh you post meaningless threads'). Because it doesn't affect anyone negatively I can't see how you can justify homosexuals not being allowed the right to marriage. Show me how you can and maybe then I'll think about what you're saying. Until then I think you're being extremely unjust and narrow-minded, but hey...

frenchie

HSC
It is interesting to note why people need permission to enter into a marriage in the first place. In the good ol' USA the first marriage licence was sometime after the civil war, and was purely a restriction on the ability to interracially marry. That was it. Two whites...marry no government permission needed, two blacks....marry, fine aslong as you don't try and destroy the purity of us whites!...

I can't objectively judge past acts as wrong or right..different time different values, but come on, the same bigotry and prejudice is driving the fight against letting gays and lesbians marry. It is a right. Not something that needs permission. A right can't be given to some and not to others...that's against the definition of what a right is!....the Christian-right should amend thier language to 'we have the privilege to marry', hence why we want you to ask the government for permission.

The real issue is religious tolerance. Religious institutions have every right to believe same-sex marriage is wrong, but they do not have the right to enfore that will on everybody else. Preach from pulpit till the cows come home! But return the freedom back to the individual to make the decision about what is best for him/her self.

Do gays and lesbians really want a white wedding? hmm. Not so sure. But do most heterosexuals want the same nowadays aswell? The number is falling. The whole reason is to eliminate one of those barriers erected to distinguish between two groups of citizens - straight and gay...effectively labelling the latter as second classand unworthy of this 'great' privilege.

In summary, marriage licences were born out of prejudice and a belief that one group was 'better'. What's different in the current debate about same sex marriage? Nothing.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
It's not about getting a marriage licence. Married couples have more rights then the non-married counterparts, it is these rights that gay/lesbian couples want.

classics_chic

HSC
untying_average said:
OK, so you say that it isnot healthy to have same sex parents, can anyone give any evidence?
Psychologists have done research into this, and found that children of same-sex parents (sorry about the scientific confusion, but you know what I mean) have, all in all, no additional problems over children from a heterosexual relationship. Actually, it's been found (when the parents were judged equally: some studies studied gay parents who happened to be drug addicts and compared them to hetero parents who weren't...) that kids from a same-sex union are better adjusted and are more comfortable with themselves. And that's a big thing when you're a kid.

sugaryblue said:
the bible says it's wrong
That's a complex issue, and you'd have to go into the Ancient Greek and Hebrew for that. Basically in the Hebrew Scriptures (Torah/ Old Testament) it's condemned because you can't have children from it (if so, then why is a man allowed to have sex with his pregnant or infertile wife? Surely that's just as bad). In the New Testament the references are a lot more subtle and can mean many different things: all in all there's no conclusive evidence as to what the Bible really says about the matter. Especially because Ancient Greek is such a vague language.

And besides, one thing I'd like to say which is a bit off the topic: when Christians show their hatred for people who are different, including homosexuals but also others, they are going against one of the basic tenents of the Bible: love thy neighbour as thyself, and love thy enemy. It makes me angry when they say "oh, this obscure passage condemns gays, so we can too" when the central tenent of Jesus' teachings says that you must love all people.

The Bible has been twisted since it was written to mean whatever the powerful who read it want it to mean. I'm a spiritual Christian, and therefore discount a lot of what people say it says.

neo_o said:
Be it for better or worse, society is uncomfortable with the idea of gay adoption.
Just because society is uncomfortable with something, doesn't mean it's not right. American society (in the same way you talk about "society" because all in all it's the powers of society- the government- deciding what's 'acceptable' and not) is uncomfortable with ending wars on poor countries in the Middle East. And please don't tell me that you think that killing all these innocent people will help to stop terrorism. In fact, studies are continually showing that the more a country acts in the "war on terror", the greater the chances that the terrorists will strike there. So society's comfort doesn't mean a damn thing.

neo_o said:
Marriage is a religious based institution. Don't you think its hypocritical to unite two people, in the name of something that condemns that very union?
Yes it's religiously based. So is the idea of government, funnily enough. And I don't see people trying to get atheist/ agnostic/ non-Christian (because this debate does come down to that with your arguments) politicians out of office because they're not pious enough.

neo_o said:
Is marriage a right?
Yes. Because without marriage available to all adults (children fall under a different category) then some people are being labelled as less human than others. In many constitutions around the world, an equality under law applies to all people. Without marriage, name and all, homosexuals have been labelled as sub-human.

neo_o said:
Since the majority of people arent fags, less then 10%, lets assume its the norm to be straight eh? Homosexuality is a lifestyle choice
I have blue eyes. Am I 'abnormal'? Should I be denied my rights as a human being because I have blue eyes?

I have had psychotic episodes. Am I 'abnormal'? Should I be denied my rights as a human being because I have had psychotic episodes (this is about 1% of the population), despite the fact that I'm medicated for it?

My brother is left handed. Same question.

Very few anglos are born with brown eyes (most babies have blue eyes which change to brown or other colours). Is it therefore unnatural for anglos to have brown eyes?

And please, 'fag' is an offensive term. Please desist.

Ziff said:
Shouldn't homosexuals have been bred out by now? Why do they still exist?
There's a theory that people started out as two groups: the group with homosexuals and the group without, and that the first group survived better. But what does it matter in any case? People are people are people, regardless.

George W. Bush said:
homosexuality was quite reasonably accepted amongst the Greeks (with some notable exceptions). But still, even they thought marriage was between a man and a woman.
Rubbish:

1. Homsexuality did not exist as a concept until C19.
2. Sexuality was something that men did, not women.
3. Having sex with a woman, in the minds of the Ancient Greeks, did a man damage.
4. Sex with a woman was not sex, it was reproduction, and men and women were taught to hate it.
5. Sexuality between men was for two reasons:
a) Coming of age: a man would have sex with a boy along with teaching him the way to be a man.
b) Friendship.
6. Marriage may have between a man and a woman in the most simple terms, but in actuality marriage was a man taking property that he'd bought.

[QUOTE: George W. Bush] I'm about to sleep, so I will get back to the other stuff later, but you keep stating that homosexuals can fuck, and do fuck, women. ... homosexual men can easily have sex with women IF THEY WANTED TO, but yet they CHOOSE NOT TOO [sic]. Ergo, homosexuality is a choice. ... are you somehow implying that two lesbians can get togeather and impregnate each other? ... If you are sexually attracted to th same sex, you are a homosexual. Fuck what society sees about you, fuck how often you have sex, it matters WHAT TURNS YOU ON. ... Just because they're both human doesn't mean they aren't different. ... Just because men and women are entitled to equal rites doesn't make them the same thing. [/QUOTE]

Yes they do. They're called lesbians, you patriarchal so and so.

Heterosexual men can easily have sex with men IF THEY WANTED TO, but yet they CHOOSE NOT TO. Ergo, heterosexuality is a choice.

The wonders of science... a lesbian couple can now have a child with only their genes.

Science proves that people are attracted to people: I find both men and women attractive, and I'm not bi. My straight friends sometimes find members of the same sex attractive, and my gay friends members of the opposite sex. Haven't you ever heard a guy say "yeah, I'd do it with Brad Pitt"? It's a common phenomenon.

Just because they're both human doesn't mean they're both different: See my point about left handedness and blue eyes. Just because they're different doesn't mean they're not both human and therefore have the right to be respected for who they're attracted to, and treated as a human.

Up until recently, men and women were seen as the same thing. And I think it's a good way to look on society. Maybe then the old boy's clubs will finally disappear and we'll have equality for all members of society.

And, if you're going to quote the Greek situation as to your case, then why do you keep saying that lesbians are gay too? You're contradicting yourself. (I think lesbians are homosexual, before you say anything)

[QUOTE: Ziff] A straight man can't get an erection over another man. [/QUOTE]

Absolutely not true. I know plently of straight guys who have, as I have plenty of gay guys who have over a woman, plenty of straight women who orgasm because of women, and plenty of lesbians who orgasm because of men. Orgasms and erections are beyond the control of a person, regardless of their sexuality. It's like a knee jerk: can't be controlled.

[QUOTE: HaBibi~] HIV/AIDS is a result of homosexual activities.
umm, well it is not possible to be "born gay"...it is proven that homosexual behaviour is developed from two main factors:
1. values/ morals and 'family beliefs'
2. experiences[/QUOTE]

Wrong. HIV/AIDS is a result of unsafe sex with someone who's infected.

It might be true that gay men are more likely to contract it, but not much more so than straight people. And lesbians are far less likely to get any form of STD than straight people. So lesbians are the best form of sexuality around, by your logic!

2nd point: what about the gay people who've had lots of sex with people of the opposite sex and have grown up in a fundamentalist religious family? Then they discover they're gay... and disprove your point.

[QUOTE: eviltama]
the arguement isn't about their religious stance. It has no bearing on the 'discussion' at hand. So hence i think they should stfu abt what their religion may or may not say its irrelevant.

What is right in the minds of the general community they may see as right, but there is nothing to say it is right [/QUOTE]

It matters to the person whose religion it is. But they don't have the right to push it onto people who don't share that belief.

2nd point: what's said in the general community, just like on TV: is in the minds of the lowest common denominator, who aren't intelligent enough to embrace difference as a gift.

[QUOTE: Xayma] That is debatable, numerous studies into animals have shown brain differences, a female rat injected with testosterone while developing it exhibited lesbian properties. [/QUOTE]

So you're trying to say that lesbians are really male in a woman's body? And gay men female in a man's body? Oh, brother.

And anyway, if a lesbian were a man, then she would be attracted to straight women, being women, not lesbians, being men, if homosexuality works like that. That's obviously garbage.

[QUOTE: neo_o] WTF is with you people and mouthing off random racial examples that have nothing to do with the topic.
That's like a necrophiliac complaining because that it's discriminatory that the law won't let him root corpses. He has the same right as everyone else, except he just chooses not to exercise it.
Civil unions (which I support fully btw) just aren't good enough for them. [/QUOTE]

Racial examples have everything to do with it. This is about a fear of difference, which you obviously suffer quite severely. Homosexuals are different to heterosexuals, as blacks are different to whites. If you think one is offensive and the other not, then you should look at your views, and try for consistency.

The difference in the second example isn't even subtle. A dead person does not have a choice in whether they want to have sex with the living person. Homosexuals do have a choice. To me, necrophilia is in a similar category to rape. Therefore it's relevant because doing it denies a person's choice (and if the corpse is no longer a person, their loved ones should have a choice in the matter).

Third point: why aren't they good enough? Because they're not the same thing. If homosexuals are denied the same form of union as heterosexuals, then that's condemning them to be a sub-standard human being. Which is not on.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
classics_chic said:
Xayma said:
That is debatable, numerous studies into animals have shown brain differences, a female rat injected with testosterone while developing it exhibited lesbian properties.
So you're trying to say that lesbians are really male in a woman's body? And gay men female in a man's body? Oh, brother.

And anyway, if a lesbian were a man, then she would be attracted to straight women, being women, not lesbians, being men, if homosexuality works like that. That's obviously garbage.
Actually I don't remember suggesting that at all. All women have testosterone in their system, the amount varies. But if there was a surplus into the development of the brain surely it would exhibit more male properties. Particularly for animals that lack any sufficient amount of intelligence where mating does not depend on as many factors.

But in humans it may purely contribute towards a tendency for one to become homosexual/bisexual. However, before such a large and complex animal such as humans can be studied (and I doubt any parent would allow their child to be in a study into homosexuality that requires that they change their development).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)