Ban on Gay Marriage (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

400miles

Originally posted by katie_tully
Maybe you should have read what I said more clearly, as I didn't specify all gays as being the overly annoying flaboyant turd at the back of the class.
Secondly, I also said I wasn't religous, and as I'm not, I too do not see the point in getting married in a church. What I am saying is that since the bible was created it has clearly stated homosexuality is abornormal, which is why I can't see how gays would want to get married in a religious ceremony. Why worship some "god" who doesn't accept you? That's a plea for help dont you think? If you need faith insomething, why go for a religion that doesnt accept you.
Secondly. MARRIAGE itself has always been a union between MAN and WOMAN. It's not a hard concept to grasp. It's a special thing between two DIFFERENT sexes. I'm miffed as to why they feel they need to get married. As far as I'm concerned NO, you do not have the same rights as a heterosexual couple when it comes to marriage. It has been and should remain a union between man and woman. Call me pig headed, ignorant, discrimatory or whatever else you can pull out of your arse, it just shouldn't happen.
Firstly I am catholic, but that strict and I can see plenty of flaws in our beliefs - probably more than I should be seeing... But this argument about the Bible keeps coming up and it's innaccurate. Yes Catholics say the Bible sees homosexuality as abnormal - and in some catholic's opinion's just plain wrong.
The Uniting Church - an equally valid church - believes the bible does not in any way condemn homosexuality as a harmonious union and the uniting church has no problem with homosexuality at all.
So whether or not the Bible says it's wrong is a matter of opinion. I personally don't believe that a book written a squillion years ago should rule our lives today.

As for marriage having always been a union between man and woman... Did you also know that before 1967 Aboriginals were ALWAYS considered inferior to Eurpoeans... Hell, they weren't even considered as "people" in Australia until '67.
And what about the many racial oppression issues that had "always" been going on...
Just because it's "always" been happening doesn't make it right... Doesn't mean it can't be changed... and it doesn't mean it shouldn't be changed.
If we lived by that rule we'd never move forward as a society and the world would be a very sad place indeed.

Originally posted by neo_o

Apart from the fact that they are homosexuals?
That's a very narrow viewpoint....That's like saying
"I want to vote"
"No you can't, Only I can"
"What's the difference between you and I?"
"Well you're black, and I'm white."

Or it's like saying
"I want to be PM"
"Nup sorry, that's my job"
"What's the difference between you and I?"
"I have blue eyes and you have brown".

Discrimination SHOULD be a thing of the past and all should have equal rights to any area of life - UNLESS by having these rights they would abuse them or harm somebody else, which homosexuality does not do.

eviltama

Mentally Deranged Maniac
HSC
----
1) 70% of Australia's popultion are Christians. Additionally a decent percentage are also muslim and other religions that also prohibit homosexuality.

2) No he isn't supposed to accept all. He doesn't accept murderers, traitors, adulterers, homosexuals and other people who 'sin'.
-----
1) That 70% includes "all Christians, as classified by Australian census bureau for statistical purposes using the self-identification standard: Catholics, Anglicans, Protestants, Eastern/Orthodox, Latter-day Saints (Mormons), Pentecostal, Jehovah's Witnesses, Churches of Christ, Seventh-day Adventists, Brethren, Apostolic, etc., as well as self-identified Christians and Protestants who didn't further define denominational affiliation." (http://www.adherents.com/loc/loc_australia.html)
Not all of that 70% prohibit homosexuality same goes for that other decent percentage u were talking about. Not all religions prohibit (or consider abnormal) homosexuality and not all religious people who follow the religions that do believe in it.

2) Now i remember.. from scripture way back when i actualy gave a shit about catholicism.... he died for our sins? his death meant the absolution of all our sins so that after we die we can go to heaven... or it was something along that line. And for that fact how many times have academics come forward saying 'jesus was gay! and so were some of his disciples! it says so here and here and here and if you read this...' i'd personally find it amusing if someone could find some conclusive proof that was so remarkable that it couldn't be covered up or have the church go 'Never! never!... ur excommunicated u little liar burn in hell for not being one of the sheep!'

----
Sure you can, you just can't get married. Tough shit.
----
Sure you'd be going 'YaY' 10 years down the track if you wanted to get married and they turned you away. 'You're... er too... its illegal ggf'

-----
That's nice, and nobody is stopping them loving each other/spending their lives together. They just can't get married. And please don't attack heterosexual marriage, otherwise, if your so into attacking the institution of marriage i cant really see why you would want it in the first place.
-----
I can't stand the 'institution' that is marriage. I never want to get married to a male or a female. But i can't see why there should be 2 sets of laws, one for them and one for us. What happened to 'One law for all'? Everyone has to follow the same set of laws? Our laws are there for your protection and govern all equally and without bias or discrimination? Its all a sham if they want to start creating another set of laws just for homosexuals.

-----
Apart from the fact that they are homosexuals?
-----
And what should that have to do with anything? I can sleep with anyone i want, so can you and everyone else who is legally allowed to do so. Just because someone is a homosexual doesnt mean that their entire life changes white to black because of who they sleep with or are in a relationship with. Our society isn't that petty. Most agree on a live and let live ideal, as long as they don't bother us we don't bother them. So why should what happens behind closed doors influence our rights to life? And what right will it influence next? And where will it stop once its started? Will it stop?

crazyhomo

under pressure
HSC
2) No he isn't supposed to accept all. He doesn't accept murderers, traitors, adulterers, homosexuals and other people who 'sin'.
we are all born sinners. jesus christ died for our sins, and if we believe in him, then our sins are absolved and will not stop us from getting into heaven

crazyhomo

under pressure
HSC
You're failing to see the point here. I'm sitting on the fence with this, the point however is;
Marriage is a union between man and woman. Always has been. It's about tradition and morals, thats not saying homosexuality is morally wrong, but the fact is "MAN AND WOMAN".
Secondly, the number of people who are religious is alarmingly large, homosexuality is against everything they stand for. Why should we change the rules to suit a small majority of people when this has been the way for the last few thousand years?
morals not cut and dry. they are constantly changing, as are traditions, so why base your argument around points of logic that may not be valid tomorrow?

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Not all of that 70% prohibit homosexuality same goes for that other decent percentage u were talking about. Not all religions prohibit (or consider abnormal) homosexuality and not all religious people who follow the religions that do believe in it.
Give me an example of the "not all 70%" please. Additonally, i never said that all religions prohibit homosexuality. I believe i only mentioned Islam and Christianity? And yes, if people ascribe to a certain belief system, they ascribe to everything else that goes with it.

2) Now i remember.. from scripture way back when i actualy gave a shit about catholicism.... he died for our sins? his death meant the absolution of all our sins so that after we die we can go to heaven... or it was something along that line. And for that fact how many times have academics come forward saying 'jesus was gay! and so were some of his disciples! it says so here and here and here and if you read this...' i'd personally find it amusing if someone could find some conclusive proof that was so remarkable that it couldn't be covered up or have the church go 'Never! never!... ur excommunicated u little liar burn in hell for not being one of the sheep!'
1) All Christian sects believe in Jesus, not just catholics

2) I assume its not good form to go around killing people because Jesus "died for your sin" and the same goes for other sins.

3) "Academics" do you have any links that provide any conclusive proof?

I can't stand the 'institution' that is marriage. I never want to get married to a male or a female. But i can't see why there should be 2 sets of laws, one for them and one for us. What happened to 'One law for all'? Everyone has to follow the same set of laws? Our laws are there for your protection and govern all equally and without bias or discrimination? Its all a sham if they want to start creating another set of laws just for homosexuals.
There isn't a specific law for homosexuals. There won't be one when the marriage law is redifined.

HOWEVER, if you want to allow homosexual marriage, another set of laws for homosexuals will be created. So, if your against creating an extra set of laws for homosexuals, please conceed this argument.

And what should that have to do with anything? I can sleep with anyone i want, so can you and everyone else who is legally allowed to do so. Just because someone is a homosexual doesnt mean that their entire life changes white to black because of who they sleep with or are in a relationship with.
1) There's a difference between sleeping with who you want and marrying who you want.

2) OMG WHITE TO BLACK! are you drawing a RACIAL distinction? BUT I THOUGHT ALL PEOPLE WERE THE SAME!?!

And what right will it influence next? And where will it stop once its started? Will it stop?
See the key word there is right. Marriage isn't a right. I'm sorry and thats absolutely irrelevant, homosexuals can marry, they just can't marry someone of the same sex.

crazyhomo

under pressure
HSC
Give me an example of the "not all 70%" please. Additonally, i never said that all religions prohibit homosexuality. I believe i only mentioned Islam and Christianity? And yes, if people ascribe to a certain belief system, they ascribe to everything else that goes with it.
if this is true then why are their so many types pf christianity? it's because the people did not believe everything their current religion taught. just because you can't be bother starting your own religion doesn't mean you believe everything your current one says

2) I assume its not good form to go around killing people because Jesus "died for your sin" and the same goes for other sins.

1) thanks for pointing that out, because she specifically said that only catholics believe in jesus

2) even murderers can be forgiven by god and accepted into heaven

3) http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=28290

There isn't a specific law for homosexuals. There won't be one when the marriage law is redifined.

HOWEVER, if you want to allow homosexual marriage, another set of laws for homosexuals will be created. So, if your against creating an extra set of laws for homosexuals, please conceed this argument.
ummm...wouldn't defining marriage as the union between two consenting adults count as one law?

1) There's a difference between sleeping with who you want and marrying who you want.

2) OMG WHITE TO BLACK! are you drawing a RACIAL distinction? BUT I THOUGHT ALL PEOPLE WERE THE SAME!?!
1) what difference would that be?

2) nice dodge of what was actually said

See the key word there is right. Marriage isn't a right. I'm sorry and thats absolutely irrelevant, homosexuals can marry, they just can't marry someone of the same sex.
'aboriginals can vote, it just won't be counted, because, you know, voting isn't a right'

eviltama

Mentally Deranged Maniac
HSC
-----
------
An example of not all that 70% : Several off shoots of Catholicism, Anglicans, Protestants, United Church, as well as self-identified Christians and Protestants who don't particularly follow strict doctrine or go to church.
As for ascribing to a certain belief system, religious beholdence is in some families quite low. They put their kids thru the rigmorale and then forget about it . My parents for example catholics if u ask them but neither have put foot in a church for years unless its been for a funeral or wedding and the only thing they stick to is Fishy friday (Easter friday). Of course you have your zealots but hell this is australia and unless you come from that kind of family religion is really low on the 'must have-must be apart of' list.

------

-----
1) I said 'from what i remember' i was speaking in terms of the catholic scripture classes i had. I didnt presume to know anything about christianity.. tho since it's called 'Christianity' ...

2) He died for our sins. I never said we didnt have a responsibility for those 'sins'. And well if u wanna go round killing people sure, its ur life and ur conscience go ahead. Responsibility and respect are soemthing taught by the church.. or any church i'd guess.... so take it in what context you wish.

3) Did u fail to read what i wrote? I guess so. But search the net u'll find the same stuff i found.

-----
------
There isn't a specific law yet... but if it is redefined there will be.

-----
-----
No there won't be another set created, there isn't 2 sets of laws for de facto relationships are there? They were redefined a few years ago to include homosexuals... did someone forget to tell you that?

---
----
There is? I thought it all came down to your choice (as good or bad as it may be) I mean we're all adults here right so we choose these things.. unless of course your mother chooses your girlfriends and is going to choose ur wife for you because you.

----
-----
white to black, ying to yang... take your pick.

-----
----
Marriage is a right. We may not have a bill of rights, but we have a constitution and other ways in which our rights as humans are protected. "homosexuals can marry, they just can't marry someone of the same sex"<- thats the same as saying heterosexuals can marry, they just can't marry someone of the same sex. It means exactly the same thing, it assumes that we should all be heterosexual because only heterosexuals would want to marry someone of the opposite sex. And heterosexual it assumes that heterosexuality is the only way to be. its not. even transgendered people can marry but homosexuals can't... Explain this.

K

katie_tully

When did this become about the Aboriginals? It's a totally different debate. Whites are/were racist, and the fact is we don't really treat aboriginals any better than we used to.

I'm finished with the argument, it's all coming down to matter of opinion...There isn't a right or wrong answer, I just don't see why we're going to change rules that have been inplace for a long time because it suits a small majority.
If that's the case, are we going to keep changing the law everytime it suits?

eviltama

Mentally Deranged Maniac
HSC

I'm finished with the argument, it's all coming down to matter of opinion...There isn't a right or wrong answer, I just don't see why we're going to change rules that have been inplace for a long time because it suits a small majority.
isnt that an oxymoron 'a small majority'? And don't we change the law everytime it suits? we needed new laws to cover id theft and general computer related crimes... so the law was changed and new law implemented. What use is the law if it isn't flexible and open to the changing needs of society?

TiSHa

i think that gay poeple should have the right to get married...just becuase poeple are different doesnt mean it is wrong...they are not commiting a crime or doing harm to others...then where is the problem??

400miles

When did this become about the Aboriginals? It's a totally different debate. Whites are/were racist, and the fact is we don't really treat aboriginals any better than we used to.

You've just shown how you've missed the point.
The aboriginals example WAS the answer to your confusion over why we should change the laws that have been in place fore such a long time.
From 1788, when Europeans first settled in Australia and declared Terra Nullias (land of NO PEOPLE) to 1967 (ALMOST 200 YEARS LATER) Aboriginals were not considered as people and weren't entitled to the rights of the European inhabitants of Australia. That's a hell of a long time for that law to be in place. But then it was decided the law should change, and Aboriginals should be considered equals with Europeans BECAUSE the original law was unjust and unfair.
The law was in place for a long time, yes, but that doesn't mean it was a good law, or that it was correct.
It certainly doesn't mean that it was infallible.

Just because the ban of homosexual union has been in place for a long time doesn't mean that it's just. It doesn't mean it's fair. It doesn't mean it's right.
It doesn't mean it shouldn't be changed.

Loz#1

"03'er"
HSC
Originally posted by TiSHa
i think that gay poeple should have the right to get married...just becuase poeple are different doesnt mean it is wrong...they are not commiting a crime or doing harm to others...then where is the problem??
Simple, but I agree.

crazyhomo

under pressure
HSC

hahahahahahahahhaha

oh dear

steph@nie

narcissistic whore.
HSC
I just don't see why we're going to change rules that have been inplace for a long time because it suits a small majority.
It doesn't affect heteros AT ALL. Either way, we still get to get married. It's homosexuals who are being told that they're not equal to us, just because they state a different preference. What does it matter to you if the law says marriage is the union between a man and a woman or if it says it's a union between two consenting adults? The fact is that no one should have the right to take away the option of marriage from anyone, even if it is two people of the same sex. And please, spare me the religion bullshit.

Ziff

HSC
N/A
When everything has been tallied up and considered my final solution is to abolish marriage and have, for all genders and relationships:

- Civil Unions ("Marriage"/De Jure)

- Registered Partnerships (Registered De-Facto e.g. Tasmanian De-Facto Relationship Model)

- Unregistered Partnerships (Unregistered De-Facto e.g. NSW De-Facto Relationship Model)

That way you take the religious element out forever and you give people greater options on what sort of relationship they want to persue.

I think it's pretty similar to the "international model" they're looking at.

So say we take the religious element out of it, remove the name marriage all together, how do people's idea and opinions about the issue change?

We now have a new category where the legal protections afforded to those in a "civil union" are the same as in a "marriage" but the terms have been changed to reflect a religiously neutral viewpoint with values common to all people irrespective of religion etc (unless of course you like little children or enjoy beating your lover...)

E.g. Civil unions seek to legally acknowledge the intimacy, love and caring that two fellow human beings feel towards each other and recognise this through the bestowing of certain legal rights and obligations on the couple.

Or something to that effect anyway.

Last edited:

tWiStEdD

deity of ultimate reason
HSC
Ziff, old boy, you make a good point, but as you already know i dont agree.

Firstly, eviltama, thank you for your well aimed, emotional critisism. I will not respond to you however, because I find you purely emotional about the topic rather than at least partially objective. Besides, your arguement is flawed and hinged on remaining political correct at all costs, and I will have no time for that. I think you are far too vicious for this thread, take a breather and come back when you're willing to listen to opinions.

Excellent model, Ziff! [Oops, I agreed!]

BUT!

There are many people who still believe in marriage and what it stands for. Marriage has always been property of the Church, and so it should remain (albeit regulated and protected by Government). I will not accept that Government controls marriage, but I will conceed that the Church (including any religious sects) does not control marriage anymore either. My point is, we should not remove something so institutionalised as you suggest, Ziff. Since I was old enough to understand anything I understood the importance of marriage. In any walk of life it is EXTREMELY important. It is abused often, yes, but that is more a product of our society rather than the importance of marriage [NB: I believe so totally in marriage because I had to see my father have an affair, my concept of reality and my #1 role model collapse, only to be rebuilt out of the rubble that was their marriage and my life. Like the phoenix rising from the ashes... and as such I believe marriage to be so real and so important] Cartoons had weddings on them often, I used to speak to my parents about theirs, I went to my Aunt's wedding and I have seen the results of marriage and the happiness they bring about (Children, compassion, happiness support etc) and it is for these reasons that marriage should remain.

The rest of his points are extremely just, equitable, fair and in the best interests of the community. I do still believe that marriage deserves a special place in our community, as it is what brought many all of us into the world today. I accept the social change that has brought about legal recognition of defacto relationships, and I understand why that recognition came about and as such I welcome those changes. I ALSO welcome the recognition of homosexual couples, as per the Property (Relationships) Amendment Act, but we cannot push legal recognition too far.

Now, to the heart of this debate. Should homosexuals marry? [Perhaps I should tell you all something before i start... I am EXTREMELY biased. Why? I was sexually assaulted by one of them. I'd rather it was not referred to again, but let it be known that is the reason for my seemingly extreme policies.] Ms Katie Tully had a point, although she failed to articulate it very well, nor offer alternatives. She is right in that marriage has always been for heterosexual relationships. While I understand the need for legal change on the basis of changing social values, the whole concept of marriage is destroyed if homosexuals can marry as well. The point of marriage has almost always been, with some exceptions, to procreate with an individual of the opposite sex within a mutual relationship of committment and love.

- Perhaps one of the most important points in this is the issue of procreation. Homosexuals CANT procreate. Perhaps if they were to be able to, it would be accepted.. but they cant and they will never be able to.
- Perhaps they think they 'love' one another, but I say that a majority of their friends were girls and they grew up surrounded by girls and thus identified themselves with females, ergo they almost believe themselves to be girls, but they're not.

So, for those reasons I believe homosexuals should not marry, as it is the basis of everything marriage stands for.

I know this all leads onto birth technologies, which I am similarly against for the 'best interests of the child'. That is not a issue in this thread and as such I will not go into it here.

tWiStEdD

deity of ultimate reason
HSC
<<Section innappropriate>>

For the record, my opinion is as valid as the next guy's/girl's, just as yours is as valid as mine. Shoot.

Last edited:

lengstar

HSC
i edited my post because it was an inappropriate reaction to your 'opinion'

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
if this is true then why are their so many types pf christianity? it's because the people did not believe everything their current religion taught. just because you can't be bother starting your own religion doesn't mean you believe everything your current one says
The major sects of Christianity still recognise the Old Testament which includes Leviticus, one of the books that lay it to the homosexuals. If people express a belief in a religion, then they have got everything that comes with, the good and the bad. If they see themselves as a Christian, that means they have to accept all the different rules/regulations of their faith.

1) thanks for pointing that out, because she specifically said that only catholics believe in jesus
She confused Christians and Catholics. I called her on it. Seems fair.

2) even murderers can be forgiven by god and accepted into heaven
So? From my understanding a murderer needs to renounce his sin, and embrace 'God', obviously the same goes for a homosexual. A homosexual who believes that their sin is right will obviously never be forgiven.

That's an article about a church started by gays for gays. The article also states and i quote

That all "so-called" references to homosexuality in the Bible actually refer to other terms – not homosexuality at all?
However, Leviticus states that

1. Leviticus 18:22-23 ";You shall not lie with a male as one lies with a female; it is an abomination. Also you shall not have intercourse with any animal to be defiled with it, nor shall any woman stand before an animal to mate with it; it is a perversion."

2. Leviticus 20:13 "If there is a man who lies with a male as those who lie with a woman, both of them have committed a detestable act; they shall surely be put to death. Their blood guiltiness is upon them."
that seems pretty specific to me don't you think? There goes the credibility of that site heh.

ummm...wouldn't defining marriage as the union between two consenting adults count as one law?
Well obviously, but by changing the law specifically for homosexuals, we are basically doing what evil_tama says that she doesn't agree with.

1) what difference would that be?
A heterosexual is someone who sleeps with members of the opposite sex. A homosexual sleeps with the same sex. I believe that's a difference?

2) nice dodge of what was actually said
I don't see how what she said was relevant in the first place.

'aboriginals can vote, it just won't be counted, because, you know, voting isn't a right'
This is a debate about a) faggots and b) marriage. Aboriginals and voting don't figure into it. Sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)