• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Band 6 for Standard (1 Viewer)

S

systemx

Why is it so hard to get a band 6 in standard but relatively easy for those in advance? Advance is suppose to be harder than standard, but each year I see more students getting a band 6 in advance than in standard. I'm currently a year 11 student doing standard at Sefton and I'm very worried about those statistics. Is it because the markers are tough or is it because most students are just plain stupid? Please explain!

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
*IMO* it is because essay writing is taught in a different way in Adv to Std (according to my old english teacher, HT english/Snr HSC marker), something about linking points together or something, adds to the cohesiveness of the peice, increasing marks.

QuaCk

they assume that if you can get a band6 in standard, that you should be doing advanced english. case being .... standard is somewhat capped at a certain mark. from what i recall, i think 2 people? got band 6 for standard in 04. not sure, but it wasn't that many.

HSC
i was told by someone who did their hsc 2 years ago whatever result you get in standard english is * 0.9

that good be full of shit

my guess is because of the strictness of marking, they see as standard english as easy and mark like nazis?

sNiPeR_24

Fo' shizzle
HSC
I'm doing Standard English and I also think it is unfair how they seem to cap the marks they give to us for assessment tasks.
For example in the first HSC AOS task at my school, the top mark in Standard was 45/60 whereas in Advanced this mark would have been thoroughly substandard as the top mark was 59/60.

I hope it doesn't reflect to negatively upon my UAI though. But I've seen people at my school get UAI's in the 95.00+ range even with marks as low as 77 for the HSC exam in standard English.

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
QuaCk said:
they assume that if you can get a band6 in standard, that you should be doing advanced english. case being .... standard is somewhat capped at a certain mark. from what i recall, i think 2 people? got band 6 for standard in 04. not sure, but it wasn't that many.
Yeah i believe it was only two ppl, one of them was in my English Class at highschool

Trev

stix
HSC
sNiPeR_24 said:
I'm doing Standard English and I also think it is unfair how they seem to cap the marks they give to us for assessment tasks.
For example in the first HSC AOS task at my school, the top mark in Standard was 45/60 whereas in Advanced this mark would have been thoroughly substandard as the top mark was 59/60.

I hope it doesn't reflect to negatively upon my UAI though. But I've seen people at my school get UAI's in the 95.00+ range even with marks as low as 77 for the HSC exam in standard English.
Actually, a guy got 97.35 at our school last year with mark of 77 in standard english.
You can't call it 'capping' since 45 was the highest in standard whilst 59 the highest in advanced, this is just how the students have performed. You could only consider it as capping if in your own standard assessment, they didn't allow people to achieve the marks they deserved (if you get what I mean).

goan_crazy

Hates the waiting game...
HSC
well i think every1 at my skool is screwed
there was onli 1 band 6 in advanced
no band 6s in standard last year
our skool didnt make the top 200 either :(

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
joe_m_2000 said:
well i think every1 at my skool is screwed
there was onli 1 band 6 in advanced
no band 6s in standard last year
our skool didnt make the top 200 either :(
Dont be pissed off that u had noone in Standard get band 6, only two ppl got it

goan_crazy

Hates the waiting game...
HSC
Korn said:
Dont be pissed off that u had noone in Standard get band 6, only two ppl got it
only two people in the state got it? r u serious?!
well i do advanced and i said only 1 PERSON in my school class of 04 got a band 6...

sNiPeR_24

Fo' shizzle
HSC
Well no-one at my school got a band 6 in Advanced.

20 Students got band 5 in Advanced and 9 in Standard. Of the 9 in standard, 5 of those were from the class with the same teacher as I've got, so I'm hoping I'll do well too! :)

HSC
My teacher tells me anything over 75% in standard english and you're going very well

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
Casmira said:
My teacher tells me anything over 75% in standard english and you're going very well
Well i got over 75% in Standard, and i didnt go to well during the year, so either my school tests hard, or ur teacher is bsing u

suella

Well, I got a band 6 (like 94% or something for Wilfred Owens...I hate poetry) in English for my last assessment. I came first....but I also moved from advanced to standard because my teacher is a psycho and I couldn't understand her work, thus my expected level of English was essentially higher then most people around me. She'd stand really close to you and you’d gag from the stench she expelled when she exhaled....ewww. *shudders*

That was just a once off though. The way I understand it is that in your HSC paper there is a section where EVERYONE is marked using the SAME guidelines.

...Meaning your up against everyone in the state for that particular response. So you can imagine the people doing advanced are going to get relatively good marks whereas standard people are seen as illiterate fools compared to them. Plus we are somewhat lacking in our knowledge, I’ve heard extension students spew out speeches on the social inequities amongst races and the continuing economic downgrade as a result for a solid hour.

The section is 'Journey's' for NSW...I’m not sure what it is for other states or if it's a country wide section...but yeah that’s my understanding as to why get poor marks in our final ranks. It kinda sucks doesn’t it?

HSC
Korn said:
Well i got over 75% in Standard, and i didnt go to well during the year, so either my school tests hard, or ur teacher is bsing u
She was talking about the HSC

But either way, i got 9/20 for my yearly English, that got me 60/200

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
Casmira said:
She was talking about the HSC

But either way, i got 9/20 for my yearly English, that got me 60/200
So was i, i finished last year

modestmouse

My class and teacher were talking about this just the other day in English. I believe the highest mark for someone taking Standard english is 90. But also it depends on the rest of your class, the way it is marked these days means that your always judged agaisnt the rest of the students who take standard english in your year, if you do well in the hsc it doesnt particurlaly mean will get a high mark because most people dont bother trying and it drags your classes average down,aswell as your mark. So my advice to anyone is to do as good as you can in your class work and assesments as this will take a huge affect on your overall mark and the exam mark will be the icing on the cake :p

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
modestmouse said:
My class and teacher were talking about this just the other day in English. I believe the highest mark for someone taking Standard english is 90. But also it depends on the rest of your class, the way it is marked these days means that your always judged agaisnt the rest of the students who take standard english in your year, if you do well in the hsc it doesnt particurlaly mean will get a high mark because most people dont bother trying and it drags your classes average down,aswell as your mark. So my advice to anyone is to do as good as you can in your class work and assesments as this will take a huge affect on your overall mark and the exam mark will be the icing on the cake :p
Is this a new thing or what, cause i dont think thats how it was in my year

Danoz The Great

HSC
Our school got a 97 for advanced, but i think the highest for standard was in band 4-5 range. I can't remember, captain pi says it somewhere on here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)