• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Band 6 in CAFS? (1 Viewer)

answermydream

HSC
Has anyone here got/knows someone who has got a band 6 in CAFS?

I'm really intent on getting at least a high band 5 in CAFS and I would like to know the depth of detail and workload it takes. I find CAFS very easy and I'm not sure if it's because my teachers aren't going into enough detail or if it really is just an easy subject.

Kat92

HSC
It is a fairly easy subject. As long as you know the syllabus inside out and do plenty of past papers you will achieve a high band 5 or band 6. If you feel your teachers aren't going into enough detail some good books are:

* Leading Edge
* Excel
* Dotpoint
*Theres one with a purplish cover that we used for both year 11 and year 12- however I can't remember the name of that one.

Or approach your teachers and ask if they are willing to mark your answers to past papers.

Also, you may want to check out ARC underneath Board of Studies to look at the notes from the marking centre. By doing this you will gain an understanding of what needs to go into an examplar response.

smartalec

HSC
Has anyone here got/knows someone who has got a band 6 in CAFS?

I'm really intent on getting at least a high band 5 in CAFS and I would like to know the depth of detail and workload it takes. I find CAFS very easy and I'm not sure if it's because my teachers aren't going into enough detail or if it really is just an easy subject.
Don't just listen to your teachers and study based solely on that. you need to look at a variety of textbooks. I find that (this wasn't around when Kat did CAFS it was published in 2010) that 'Community and Family Studies' by Mitchell, Miller, Pfeiffer et al is probably the best textbook available. Except for broad topics like groups in context, it goes through both sides of the syllabus in a lot of detail. Also, do a million past questions and get a teacher to mark them. Also, read through some of the sample answers next to where you download the CAFS papers on the board of studies website. i also cannot stress enough that you need to time your responses! I honestly believe I could have state ranked cafs if I had finished two of my responses (I got 95.) But yeah, in order to get a band 6 in CAFS you need to get close to the raw mark. I received my raw marks back for CAFS and got 95% and this was my aligned mark. I lost 5 of my marks in the elective section simply due to time constraints. I agree with Kat as well, the ARC is really good - you can compare your responses to the ones that got a 'band 5/6' or 'band 4/3' etc in order to see where you roughly lie. good luck!

Kat92

HSC
It appears that the textbook that smartalec used has now incorporated the items that were once included in the Dotpoint books. This text looks really good-- I wish it was around when I was doing CAFS. :)

* Refer to our above posts for other texts that may help*

smartalec

HSC
It appears that the textbook that smartalec used has now incorporated the items that were once included in the Dotpoint books. This text looks really good-- I wish it was around when I was doing CAFS. :)

* Refer to our above posts for other texts that may help*
its very good! it has both sides of the syllabus which is very hard to find in other textbooks! and nah, there isn't a dot point for CAFS (Its sad i think i owned every cafs textbook there is, yet only used the one i spoke about anyway!)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)