Band 6 in English (1 Viewer)

barcyy

HSC
Currently i'm scraping 10-11/15's for my critical analysis and I want to know how I can improve my essays to really push for a 15/15?

A problem i've noticed is that i'm not clear when i write so it's all over the place and i have troubles expressing my thoughts into words. Any advice on how I can better my essay writing skills?

grapess

HSC
do you try to use fancy words? ie do you look up synonyms for words that you would normally use?

mx3

HSC
N/A
read example band6 essays, a quick google search would yield heaps.

try to write succinctly.

practice.

grapess

HSC
well if you do
I highly recommend that INITIALLY you don't. So when you are first trying to get your ideas out make sure you put them in the most simple language. This is not the stage where you go to the thesaurus. Try and type it out the way you would normally talk in a conversation because usually that is when you communicate the clearest. Say what you want to say out loud then type that onto your computer (or write onto paper). Then play with the wording to make it a little more formal, and assuming clarity has improved you can then afford to swap in some fancy words (but make sure you know the exact definition and how to use the word properly).

secondly (this is for clarity in general, not just if you use fancy words in the wrong place) - make sure you are not overloading your sentence with multiple ideas (also why it is so important to say your sentences out loud as you can notice lengthiness/other faults so much easier). Try and stick to one point + technique and quote per sentence and if you do want to link the sentence to another point try using (additionally, therefore, moreover) to begin the next sentence with that other linking point. That way you are keeping your argument logically progressing but also giving the marker a bit of break to take in each bit, hence improving clarity.
hope this makes sense:)

the irony if it doesn't :/

jono_jonoson

HSC
If i do really well. Like REALLY REALLY well and write an amazing essay, do you think the examiners will consider giving me a band 7?

teridax

HSC
N/A
well if you do
I highly recommend that INITIALLY you don't. So when you are first trying to get your ideas out make sure you put them in the most simple language. This is not the stage where you go to the thesaurus. Try and type it out the way you would normally talk in a conversation because usually that is when you communicate the clearest. Say what you want to say out loud then type that onto your computer (or write onto paper). Then play with the wording to make it a little more formal, and assuming clarity has improved you can then afford to swap in some fancy words (but make sure you know the exact definition and how to use the word properly).

secondly (this is for clarity in general, not just if you use fancy words in the wrong place) - make sure you are not overloading your sentence with multiple ideas (also why it is so important to say your sentences out loud as you can notice lengthiness/other faults so much easier). Try and stick to one point + technique and quote per sentence and if you do want to link the sentence to another point try using (additionally, therefore, moreover) to begin the next sentence with that other linking point. That way you are keeping your argument logically progressing but also giving the marker a bit of break to take in each bit, hence improving clarity.
hope this makes sense:)

the irony if it doesn't :/
you can also use connecting words such as:

- as such (my personal fav)
- indeed
- by doing so
- in this way
- for this reason
- subsequently
- consequently
- as a result
- ultimately

otherwise, excellent post :D

grapess

HSC
you can also use connecting words such as:

- as such (my personal fav)
- indeed
- by doing so
- in this way
- for this reason
- subsequently
- consequently
- as a result
- ultimately

otherwise, excellent post :D
yehp defs use those words
and just adding to that list
- furthermore
- hence
- thus

it's ok to use the thesaurus for this part ;)

spatula232

HSC
Reading over my Mod B essay I use 'thus' in every paragraph... Make sure you don't do this lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)