Band 6 in Standard (1 Viewer)

Do You Think There Will Be A Band 6 In Standard This Year?

• Yes

Votes: 17 56.7%
  • No

Votes: 13 43.3%

• Total voters

littlemic21

Lurking In The Shadows
HSC
so who thinks they will finally give a band 6 this year? is this y they made the pprs so easy this year?

Skull Kid

I don't think it is possible to get band 6 cause they scale us down. Highest possible for a Standard student is 89 from what I've heard and read but I could be wrong. I wouldn't mind a Band 6 myself :D

Juliet

HSC
i don't think they will, like skull kid said, they scale us down.:(

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
I'm inclined to think there might be one this year.

The past two years have had top marks of 87.4 and 88.0... it shouldn't take much to slightly improve upon those.

quarkfire

bludger
HSC
N/A
I think there will be too, because the paper was so easy. it wouldn't take much for a least a couple of people to get in the 90's.
why does standard get scaled down so much compared to advanced? I mean, if people can get awesome marks in advanced, which I'm assuming is more difficult, surely standard people can do it too, where the questions are generally easier?
am I completely wrong here?

^___^
HSC
Originally posted by underthesun
I've always had beliefs that I was the one to get band 6, however my perspective changed. Damn, should have used that for my creative writing~
i was thinking of doing that too...:(:(:(

sukiyaki

emptiness
HSC
Originally posted by quarkfire
why does standard get scaled down so much compared to advanced? I mean, if people can get awesome marks in advanced, which I'm assuming is more difficult, surely standard people can do it too, where the questions are generally easier?
if standard people are capable fo getting band 6.. why NOt pick advanced in the first place? just a though

i reckon this year they have several band 6 people

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
i didnt do the standard paper, nor have i seen it, but i have heard it was very easy, which would lead me to presume that they will take this into account when marking, therefore your marks will not reflect a band 6 score. however, this is only my personal opinion, and it is quite possible i am wrong!

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
Originally posted by quarkfire
I think there will be too, because the paper was so easy. it wouldn't take much for a least a couple of people to get in the 90's.
They will take into account that it was so easy and thus scale your marks down. An easy is exam is a BAD thing for you standard people. The paper does not give you the capacity to show that you are of band 6 quality.

Its hard to get your head around, but Advanced and Standard people are scaled together, which means if you got 80 and an Advanced person got 90, you are both equally as good at English. However, the Advanced exam is much harder than the standard one, and so a raw mark of 80 in Advanced is much better then a raw mark of 80 in standard. Thus, standard people are scaled down....

mark_hack

I think that someone will get a band six this year. Is a band six classed as being over 90% or is the boarder for a band six set by BOS??

Benno

HSC
Hey does anyone know how they turn the raw marks of 105 with paper one being 45 and paper 2 being 60 into a mark out of 100?
is one paper worth more than the other? etc

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Paper 1 is worth 40% (i.e. a mark out of 45 is turned into a mark out of 40) and Paper 2 is worth 60%.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)