Banish careless mistakes (1 Viewer)

DarkOperator618

HSC
Basically, for my math, I got my test back (65%).

I noticed that I could've full marked it if I didn't make any careless mistakes

Anyone got any tips to fix this issue? It feels really embarrasing.

Leadmen4y

HSC
Are you sure? That seems like a ridiculous amount of careless mistakes. Did you run out of time? Did you have time to check your answers? What topics?

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
I have been in a similar situation for maths back in year 12. Basically, I could've performed well in one of my exams (high band 5 to low band 6) but unfortunately the number of silly mistakes I made dragged me down to 72%. For one question (I believe it was probability-related) I remember losing 9% because of a number I knew I had to write but completely forgot to. The rest of the mistakes were similar sadly.

The only thing I can recommend is reading the question more than one time so you know what you're being asked as well as going through your answers multiple times until you're 100% sure you've done the right thing. That'll help reducing the number of careless mistakes you make.

Also, I wouldn't use "embarrassing" in this situation. Nothing is embarrassing about making mistakes. I think frustrating would be the better word.

DarkOperator618

HSC
I have been in a similar situation for maths back in year 12. Basically, I could've performed well in one of my exams (high band 5 to low band 6) but unfortunately the number of silly mistakes I made dragged me down to 72%. For one question (I believe it was probability-related) I remember losing 9% because of a number I knew I had to write but completely forgot to. The rest of the mistakes were similar sadly.

The only thing I can recommend is reading the question more than one time so you know what you're being asked as well as going through your answers multiple times until you're 100% sure you've done the right thing. That'll help reducing the number of careless mistakes you make.

Also, I wouldn't use "embarrassing" in this situation. Nothing is embarrassing about making mistakes. I think frustrating would be the better word.
But like how would you like band 6 math

like for modern, I can easily band 6 (played cod the day before my test)

but math, I'm struggling to band 6 even though its my stronger subject ffs

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad

Well, rushing it is self-explanatory.

You are obviously very good at maths, it's just that you don't seem to be approaching the exam in a way that would allow you to demonstrate your true potential. Different subjects have differing needs. I would assume maths necessitates much more focus than Modern History. You need to avoid rushing questions, and if time management is a problem, you should try skipping any questions that don't immediately ring a bell in order to solve easier ones and then come back to the harder ones later, that way you can avoid rushing the paper, reducing the chance of making that kind of mistakes.

idkkdi

HSC
if you're doing longer working out problems eventually you will stop making careless mistakes or you will get nothing right lol.

Leadmen4y

HSC

Just to confirm, you do advanced right?

Leadmen4y

HSC

Maths is definitely a very unforgiving subject in general, I often find that rather than the difficulty of the questions that throws me off (as I'm not doing higher level maths), it's my own nerves. Not much you could do when every question counts in the exam for your HSC though.

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Maths is definitely a very unforgiving subject in general, I often find that rather than the difficulty of the questions that throws me off (as I'm not doing higher level maths), it's my own nerves. Not much you could do when every question counts in the exam for your HSC though.
Definitely agree with you. Getting stuck on a question during a maths exam is the worst feeling ever. At some point I truly realised I wasn't good at maths, no matter how much I tried, so my mentality completely changed as I got closer to my trial exam. I still studied like I always would, but in terms of stress, I went in and came out of the exam like nothing happened, despite my terrible performance (65%). It's like I became totally indifferent...

bubbletea4lyfe

HSC
I used to make a lot of mistakes in maths as well. To improve this: every time I do maths questions, I would:
1. Read the question and understand what it asks for.
2. Look for and plan the steps required to get the answer.
3. As you write your working out, you should know which line is easy to make mistakes on (That is, you have to practice these maths questions to know where you/ most people easily make mistakes)
4. After getting the answer, you can try checking by subbing in your answer back into the question.
Good luck!

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
It's true that people excel in some subjects and struggle with others. Though I think it's not that you're just "wasn't good at maths" but rather perhaps the approach was ineffective/needed more time, while natural talent exists, I believe effort and efficiency are more important in academics.
That's a good point. It is worth mentioning that I got an HD in stats last year, so perhaps I just wasn't able to cope with HSC maths?

But hey, you still got in your dream course! So congrats! :D
Thank you! :D

DarkOperator618

HSC
I currently have similar problems to you as I did really well in prelim but not doing what I hoped for right now in year 12 when it counts which is frustrating. I think there are two approaches to exams:
1. Quickly do the questions (but not rush them) and move on without hesitating too much, leaving time for checking your answers in the end.
2. Take your time with every question, ensure that when you move on to the next you are 100% sure you got the right answer, and not planning any time to double check.

I personally prefer 1, as I feel like when I get in the flow during the test I don't get as nervous and get through questions faster. But the drawback would be you might not have enough time to check every single one of your answers. But some people do better when they don't have to worry about going backwards. You should experiment with each by replicating test conditions.
hows ur maths been this year?

DarkOperator618

HSC
Not the best so far, here's my raw marks:
30.5/35 - 1st assessment
32.5/40 - 2nd assessment
40th out of 132 right now. Hoping to clutch in trials + HSC.
what

my scores have been like 84% and 76% before this

banking to clutch on trials at this rate

was 45th, now idk

our school makes our tests intentionally harder for some reason

Leadmen4y

HSC
what

was 45th, now idk

Can relate, my 2nd test on integration + application of diff. was also pretty hard. It's good prep for HSC though, and also allow the top students to be distinguished from the rest rather than everyone getting 95+. If your cohort's competitive it's also good as your school rank higher externally, something to be thankful for. Trials usually are the hardest school assessment because everything is getting tested so definitely good chance to come back.

Directrix

Forklift Certified
HSC
what

was 45th, now idk

Can relate, my 2nd test on integration + application of diff. was also pretty hard. It's good prep for HSC though, and also allow the top students to be distinguished from the rest rather than everyone getting 95+. If your cohort's competitive it's also good as your school rank higher externally, something to be thankful for. Trials usually are the hardest school assessment because everything is getting tested so definitely good chance to come back.
good on u2 for hanging in there with x1 kids

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)