Bankers/Investment Bankers Lifestyle (1 Viewer)

oliverfront

HSC
Hi not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but can you guys explain to me how bankers and investment bankers have a life with 80-100 hour weeks? Are those hours temporary, or the same throughout your career? I just don't understand how you are meant to have a family and have a life etc with those kind of hours. Thanks

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
You don't have a life.

And presumably they get better later on (maybe after a few years?) and you make it to be a director or something, and your underlings do the hard yards. Or you just retire.

iBibah

HSC
You might have to 'live to work' for a while before you start 'working to live'.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
On the plus side with the high income you can afford to rent an apartment very close to your office thus minimising travel time.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Why not buy?
1. You may move jobs for whatever reason and hence the place you live at may not be so close.
2. The industry isn't known to be the most steady especially in the current climate; do you really want a 25 year mortgage?!
3. Whilst the salary on your contract looks good, the amount you receive in hand each month in your earlier months on the job vs. the amount of cash needed to buy a place even on a mortgage as well as meet the ongoing costs (e.g. strata in the city) might put unnecessary pressure on your lifestyle/cashflow.

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
No they don't have a life.

Is it the holy grail? Neither. Trading time for money. Hardly a capitalist.

powlmao

Banned
HSC
kk

Going to investment banking. Going to work 6am to midnight each day for 10 years then retire.

powlmao

Banned
HSC
15 hour days were a minimum, 16-17 were normal, 20+ were frequent and once or twice a month there would be the dreaded all nighter.
God. This makes me want to IB even more. I love this lifestyle. Fuck friends and family, this is my dream now

powlmao

Banned
HSC
7:30 AM – I am woken up by an Associate at work asking where I am. He told me to come in at 8:00 AM to send out a status report. It’s 7:30 and I’m not there yet, so a cloud of panic has descended. I roll out of bed, shower for a minute and head into work.

8:00 AM – 9:00 AM – The Associate hands me a marked-up version of the status report in question. Most of his changes consist of adding/deleting commas, capitalizing nouns or changing font sizes. I send it to our team at 8:55, in advance of our call at 9:00.

9:00 AM – 10:00 AM – Our investment banking team tells management about the buyers who are interested in them and the meetings we’ve set up.

I am vaguely listening but also working on a pitch book for an IPO in the background – multi-tasking is easy when all you do is copy and paste Excel into PowerPoint. 12:30 PM – We send out a draft of the IPO pitch book to 3 Managing Directors who will be at the meeting the next day. This is the “final” version, which means that everything will be scrapped and re-done in the next 24 hours.

12:45 PM – One of the Managing Directors is traveling and has requested a Briefing Book on the company we’re pitching because he doesn’t know anything about it. It’s not feasible to FedEx the book because he is 3,000 miles away and needs it ASAP – we need to PDF this bad boy.

1:00 PM – The Associate drops off revisions to a presentation we’re working on for another client. I tell him I don’t have bandwidth because I’m working on a big IPO pitch for the next day as well.

He tells me to finish by 5 so he can give me more changes and I can “turn” another revision by the morning. It’s probably going to be an all-nighter.

1:30 PM – One of the Managing Directors who received the Briefing Book calls another Associate (Associate #2) on my team and yells at him for sending 100 pages of material – it’s taking 30 minutes to print out everything.

The Associate takes the brunt of the damage. I’ve cleverly avoided the fallout by having Associate #2 be the point person for this project.

3:00 PM – Starbucks. The lifeblood of investment banking analysts. I go with a friend who’s in the midst of private equity interviews and we discuss how those are going.

3:30 PM – After speaking with our equity research analyst, the Managing Director decides we need to add more analysis to our pitch and focus on completely different metrics. I need to re-do most of my work.

5:00 PM – I finish up with the other client presentation that Associate #1 wanted me to finish. Now it’s a waiting game on that one as I continue revising the IPO pitch.

7:30 PM – I’m eating dinner at my desk. No time to go join everyone else today but it’s Japanese food so I’m satisfied. Meanwhile someone from Equity Capital Markets, the team responsible for IPOs, comes over and tells me to scrap all the analysis the MD wanted.

10:00 PM – I get last-minute changes from everyone else on the team. Shouldn’t take too long to process, but production can only start printing at midnight, which means I’m going to be here until 1 AM minimum.

10:15 PM – As I’m going through changes, Associate #1 stops by and has a bunch of changes to the client presentation I finished at 5 PM. I tell him I can only get started after 1 AM so I probably won’t have anything until the next morning. “Dance, monkey.”

12:30 AM – I finish up and production starts printing the presentations. Associate #2 comes over to “supervise” the production and review the finished product.

1:00 AM – I notice an inconsistency on 1 slide – stock prices have been updated earlier in the presentation but not here. Time to check over everything again.

2:00 AM – We’re done re-checking every single page for the same mistake now. Time to re-print.

2:15 AM – The printers all have paper jams and are out of ink. Since it’s late, the printing/production crew has disappeared and I have become the production team.

2:15 – 3:30 AM – I need to refill the ink and fix all the printers. This requires a group effort so I call some other analysts over to help.

4:00 AM – Go home and go to sleep. I need to wake up by 6 to finish work on the presentation Associate #1 told me to “finish by the morning.”

6:00 AM – I’ve overslept. Associate #1 is already up and has left 3 voicemails on my cell phone asking why I haven’t sent the presentation to our client yet. I Blackberry him that I was up all night working on another pitch and was going to send it by 9 but needed an hour of sleep first.

6:15 AM – 6:30 AM – As I’m coming into the office we’re trading angry emails back and forth. He says I should have emailed our entire group saying that the presentation would be late.

8:00 AM – Associate #1 strolls into the office just as I’m about to hit the “Send” button. I tell him that I’m about to send the presentation.
Going to love this

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
kk

Going to investment banking. Going to work 6am to midnight each day for 10 years then retire.
Actually I used to have a smirk on my face if I finished at midnight, as that's comparatively early. And I'd go drinking because I was so exhaulted.

As for retiring in 10 years, if you managed to last 10 years and banked away most of your salary, you probably could retire semi-decently. Then again there's many ways to earn that same amount of money in a much quicker amount of time.

oliverfront

HSC
Ah man kid is delusional.
hey omnipotence I noticed that you are doing the BComm (Finance) at UNSW. WHat career are you considering, as I don't really know the different careers available in finance etc. Help from anyone else would be appreciated :D

And yeah, IB is as I feared :(

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
hey omnipotence I noticed that you are doing the BComm (Finance) at UNSW. WHat career are you considering, as I don't really know the different careers available in finance etc. Help from anyone else would be appreciated :D

And yeah, IB is as I feared :(
eh i'm doing comm/law actually but yeah something along the lines of wealth management

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)