Barack Obama - 44th President of the USA (2 Viewers)

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
Emanuel, who served in the Clinton White House, has Israeli family and spent significant amounts of time in Israel. He now serves as the fourth-highest member of the House of Representatives, is known as a skilled political operator who helped engineer the gains the Democrats made in Congress in 2006.

In an interview with Ma'ariv, Emanuel's father, Dr. Benjamin Emanuel, said he was convinced that his son's appointment would be good for Israel. "Obviously he will influence the president to be pro-Israel," he was quoted as saying. "Why wouldn't he be? What is he, an Arab? He's not going to clean the floors of the White House."

http://www.jpost.com/

ouch.

Trefoil

One day...
HSC
N/A
chicky_pie said:
Yeah. The selection of Rahm was a message to two different sets of people. It was a message to the Republicans saying "Don't try to fuck with me." and it was a message to opportunists overseas (Iran) saying "I'm not going to be bullied."

This Rahm guy once sent a political opponent a dead fish in the mail.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
lol are you sure that wasnt WW?
Seriously, it's hilarious. Both Santos and Josh (Pres elect and CoS) were seriously based on Obama and Rahm.

This is the biggest goddamn fairytale i've ever seen

-
Also, Palin strikes back at 'jerks' who said she didnt know Africa wasnt a country, couldnt name the 3 countries in nafta, and spend $$$ on clothes
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008/11/08/2414197.htm

"I think if there are allegations based on questions or comments that I made in debate prep about NAFTA or about the continent versus the country when we talk about Africa there, then those were taken out of context, and that is cruel and mean-spirited, it's immature, it's unprofessional and those guys are jerks"
A-way with words

Last edited:

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Gee, havent seen Obama look so bad as he did in the first news confrence. Gaunt, baggy eyes etc.
But didnt see anything wrong with what he said?

supercalamari

you've got the love
HSC
Iron said:
People have accepted this too casually.

Like, wow, change, we made history, yes we did /return to saturday crossword
People do that all the time, they've become immune to shock or wonder. Or so it seems.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Na.

Though I did like her campaign ads where she dressed up as a cosmonaut and implied that the Ukraine was going to pioneer space travel in this futuristic wonder-world
Pretty sure that was her!

Palin is initially easy on the eyes, but idk. Something unusual about her looks. Oddly very closed/inexpressive, esp the eyes. Me thinks botched gop femmbot

Trefoil

One day...
HSC
N/A
The latest news from the GOP leaders is that the way to win the next election is to purge moderate Republicans and return to their "core far-right values".

Yes, because getting rid of people like Arlen Specter, Olympia Snowe, and Susan Collins in Democrat-heavy seats (Pennsylvania and Maine) is a sure-fire way to get hardcore conservative senators elected.

I'm sure that will go over wonderfully with the electorate. Nevermind the demographic shift of the youth towards the centre! Ignore the fact that heavily Democratic-leaning minority population growth (Hispanics, Asians, African-Americans) outpaces that of whites! Good luck to Miss Palin and co in 2012. They'll fucking need it.

http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/...te-defeats-as-reason-to-move-right/#more-7311

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Meanwhile the Democrats are trying to interpret the results - did it just reflect that they won middle America, or did it reflect a fundamental ideological shift towards liberalism?
Policy ensues

What I heard is that the turnout indicated Dem growth across all age groups other than 60-65+, which indicates that the GOP base is ageing/.:shrinking

Last edited:

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
Trefoil said:
The latest news from the GOP leaders is that the way to win the next election is to purge moderate Republicans and return to their "core far-right values".

Yes, because getting rid of people like Arlen Specter, Olympia Snowe, and Susan Collins in Democrat-heavy seats (Pennsylvania and Maine) is a sure-fire way to get hardcore conservative senators elected.

I'm sure that will go over wonderfully with the electorate. Nevermind the demographic shift of the youth towards the centre! Ignore the fact that heavily Democratic-leaning minority population growth (Hispanics, Asians, African-Americans) outpaces that of whites! Good luck to Miss Palin and co in 2012. They'll fucking need it.

http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/...te-defeats-as-reason-to-move-right/#more-7311

They should take some tips from the Liberal Party here, lol.

Trefoil

One day...
HSC
N/A
Iron said:
Meanwhile the Democrats are trying to interpret the results - did it just reflect that they won middle America, or did it reflect a fundamental ideological shift towards liberalism?
Policy ensues

What I heard is that the turnout indicated Dem growth across all age groups other than 60-65+, which indicates that the GOP base is ageing/.:shrinking
Yep. That's precisely why I think it's ludicrous for the GOP to now campaign on a platform of "returning to our conservative roots". That works for the older voters, but turns the younger ones and minorities off.

They're setting themselves up for absolute disaster in 10 or 20 years time when half their older voters are dead and replaced by younguns and minorities with faster birth rates.

Oh well, I'm not going to bemoan them the opportunity to plot their own demise.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Boy, I dont know. Youre assuming that people have decidedly rejected conservate politics by electing Obama, rather than rejecting their own candidate in particularly difficult circs. Maybe youre right, but the dust is going to take a while to settle on this; you need a pattern/trend before you can claim too much - i.e. the next election

Trefoil

One day...
HSC
N/A
I know. That's why I'm being careful and only really citing the demographics that have shown definite political stances: Hispanics and Blacks were largely Democratic even before this election. So the fact that they have higher birth rates allows you to assess that the electorate will turn more Democratic over time even independent of any 'Obama effect'.

Youth and Hispanics were less polarised when voting for Bush, but there was still a trend there: at least 55% of each group (and Asians) voted for Kerry and Gore (I cbf checking how they split with Clinton, but you can guess it'd be Democratic). So I think we can say that even without Obama, there was already a definite lean in those groups, which will be borne out over time.

There was no change among Jews; they've been 60% to 80% Democratic for a long time now.

But who knows. If Russia starts Cold War 2.0 or Iran decides to try and nuke Israel, the Republicans once again have a platform to campaign on.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Yeah, who knows. I imagine that he'd be selling/justifying pretty big policy changes next election - hopefully on climate change - but probably facing a disappointed electorate who thought that all their inner-most pleasures and desires were going to be unleashed in a frienzied orgasm upon his election.
Will that mean a GOP candidate promising more? Or a straight talker only interested in modest achievable goals? Either way, unless there's something pretty disasterous like a botched war (or even then), sitting presidents usually increase their majority handsomly in second term

Trefoil

One day...
HSC
N/A
Miles Edgeworth said:
Neil you're a fag who didn't come to my party you don't get to be probama
I'm not sorry for what I have done.

Nah yeah I am. T'was piss boring here and I was wanting to be drunked.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Shudve been at the press club dude. Academics went off their nut, my professor told my friend to fuck off, several of us shook Ruddock's hand to see what death feels like, Thomas Kneely (sp) (Schindler's list) let me pat his head, Glen Mills (sp) (Dwarf) was drunk and was interested to learn that I also backed hillary
etc

Stole heaps of tacky embassy junk

Last edited:

Captin gay

Supremacist.
HSC
I wanna see Rahm Emanuel personally 'take out' Bin Laden

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Na, he'd just make sure he wakes up one morning with a camel head in his sleeping bag

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)