Barbie- Pop Culture (1 Viewer)

giggles

hi!
i'm doing a popular culture assignment on Barbie... and i was wondering if anyone had any information, or know where i could get it! particulary on how barbie has caused social change

Jillby

hey giggles what school do you go to? my school is doing barbie aswell!

mishka

HSC
N/A
My school is doing Barbie as well. My teacher ordered books off the internet and got lots of information from American websites regarding her history and all that stuff.

giggles

can anybody help me with some info... notes.. whatever! would be really really helpful!.. but if not that's cool, i'm just having a bit of trouble putting all of this crazy information into the seperate questions of pop culture (social change, etc.)... and adding s&c terminology to it... yuck!

mishka

HSC
N/A
I'll try and find the sites we used and post them when I get the chance!!

mishka

HSC
N/A
All of the sheets don't have websites on them!! However, you can tell me what areas you need help in and I can see what I can do!! Try searching in Google for Barbie, there's a tonne of info on how she's changed over time. Also, you can infer how she relates to things like social change by looking at her at certain times in history. For example, the first African-American Barbie was made around the 1980's, when the first African-American woman contested for Miss America. Facts like that look good in an essay!!!

mishka

HSC
N/A
Another thought -- look at how Barbie has been attacked, for example, the Barbie Disinformation Organisation (www-2.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs/user/jthomas/SurReview/reviews-html/bdo.html) for starters, anyway, and you can see the different views on Barbie as an icon. Some are quite amusing!!
Of course, there are other and better sites around, and I'll keep looking for any and post them if I find them!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)