Basic Algebra Question (1 Viewer)

Katsumi

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
HSC
N/A
Hi All,

I've been touching up on my algebra in preparation for university and have found a knowledge gap due to me never learning a concept.

Could someone please explain to me why -125/-8 became positive? Image below

Thanks in advance

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
factor out -1 from both -125 and -8 and cancel it out

Green Yoda

Hi Φ
HSC
Hi All,

I've been touching up on my algebra in preparation for university and have found a knowledge gap due to me never learning a concept.

Could someone please explain to me why -125/-8 became positive? Image below

Thanks in advance
Firstly, When you had -125/-8 on LHS the minus and minus cancel out to become positive. Its basically -1/-1 multiplied by 125/8 and when you have two of the same numbers on the numerator and the denominator they yield to = 1.

Now you have 125/8=1/r^3
Multiply 8 to the other side
∴ 125=8/r^3
Multiply r^3 to both sides
∴125*r^3=8
Divide 125 to both sides
∴ r^3=8/125

Katsumi

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
HSC
N/A
I failed so many tests in high school because of that. If i'm thinking in the right way below then my problem was believing that 1/x^y automatically converted into just x^y without any further simplification needed.

So fundamentally when you have r^-3 = -125/-8 you complete the following process

1. As r has a negative coefficient you first convert it into a fraction so that it can become positive
-1/r^-3 = -125/-8

2. As both sides of the equation are negative - the negative exponents cancel out and the equation stays balanced
1/r^3 = 125/8

3. You then need to separate r^3 from the 1 which it is dividing. You do this by multiplying across the 8.
8/r^3 = 125

4. You then need to isolate variable r. As the coefficients 8 and 125 are on different sides of the equation this can be done in 2 operations.

Operation One
8 = 125 * r^3

Operation Two
r^3 = 8/125

5. Now that variable r has been isolated we can find the value by taking the cube root of both sides of the equation.

r = 2/5

Is this the correct way of thinking or is there a concept behind it.

Green Yoda

Hi Φ
HSC
I failed so many tests in high school because of that. If i'm thinking in the right way below then my problem was believing that 1/x^y automatically converted into just x^y without any further simplification needed.

So fundamentally when you have r^-3 = -125/-8 you complete the following process

1. As r has a negative coefficient you first convert it into a fraction so that it can become positive
-1/r^-3 = -125/-8

2. As both sides of the equation are negative - the negative exponents cancel out and the equation stays balanced
1/r^3 = 125/8

3. You then need to separate r^3 from the 1 which it is dividing. You do this by multiplying across the 8.
8/r^3 = 125

4. You then need to isolate variable r. As the coefficients 8 and 125 are on different sides of the equation this can be done in 2 operations.

Operation One
8 = 125 * r^3

Operation Two
r^3 = 8/125

5. Now that variable r has been isolated we can find the value by taking the cube root of both sides of the equation.

r = 2/5

The negative in the indices cannot be cancelled. So it is -1/r^-3=125/8 and its only RHS where the negative 'goes away'

InteGrand

HSC
N/A

-1/r^-3 = -125/-8

1/r^3 = 125/8

8/r^3 = 125

Operation One
8 = 125 * r^3

Operation Two
r^3 = 8/125

r = 2/5

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
If that's the case how did it become positive later on? (r^-3 became r^3 at some point of the equation)
The -125/(-8) is actually a positive quantity and can immediately be simplified to 125/8 (negative signs on top and bottom "cancel out"). So the original equation is equivalent to r-3 = 125/8.

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
....... does that mean that a negative number divided by a negative number is a positive number
Correct, a negative divided by a negative is a positive.

(Also a negative times a negative is a positive.)

Green Yoda

Hi Φ
HSC
....... does that mean that a negative number divided by a negative number is a positive number

you're shitting me if that's the case
That is correct, -125/-8 is the same as -1/-1 multiplied by 125/8.. where -1/-1 =1 so 125/8 multiplied by 1 is 125/8.

Katsumi

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
HSC
N/A
I never knew that..... I sat General Math for 2 years and was never told that even once.....

I finally understand basic algebra.

Thanks guys; very much appreciated :)

He-Mann

Vexed?
HSC
N/A
I never knew that..... I sat General Math for 2 years and was never told that even once.....

I finally understand basic algebra.

Thanks guys; very much appreciated :)
Why is negative divide by negative equal to a positive?

Mathew587

HSC
Why is negative divide by negative equal to a positive?
Firstly, you should know that anything divided by itself is 1 so that's one way i.e.
5/5 = 1 and -10/-10 =1

Another way is factorisation i.e.
check the attachement cos i cant latex :)
Capture.PNG

Mathew587

HSC
CodeCogsEqn.gif

there's three approaches in the link. i'm sure that you undestand atleast one of them

Mathew587

HSC
Let x= 1 dollar coin covered in aceitic acid
Let y= he-mann's shitty sarcasm
-x/-x = -1(x)/-1(x) = x/x = 1
-x/-y = -1(x)/-1(y) = x/y
:)

He-Mann

Vexed?
HSC
N/A
I'll give you a basic example.

Let x = Matthew587's debt to He-Mann = 2017 apologetic letters typesetted in LaTeX and must include a picture of a golden coin covered in acetic acid.
Let y = 2017 letters sent to He-Mann.

Then, x/y = 2017/2017 = 1.

That is, your debt can be paid in one payment!

Here, we are working with positives. Try incorporating negatives and try to make sense out of it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)