Basic Maths Skills Test (1 Viewer)

beefnoodle

HSC
How easy/hard is it?
I only did General Maths (Band 6) in high school and will attend bridging courses (Algebra 1+2 and Calculus).

The test is 30 questions in 1 hour, no repeat.

What is my chance of passing (get 70%+)?
How "basic" is it?

random-1005

Banned
HSC
How easy/hard is it?
I only did General Maths (Band 6) in high school and will attend bridging courses (Algebra 1+2 and Calculus).

The test is 30 questions in 1 hour, no repeat.

What is my chance of passing (get 70%+)?
How "basic" is it?
you wouldnt pass it because you dont know calculus, they teach it in 2 unit maths and above
i would say it is considered "basic" by most becaause 2 unit maths is the norm when it comes to hsc subject selection, for most people the general course is just a joke and a waste of time

Last edited:

kagura

HSC
Let's say we didn't over 70% for the basic maths test, and would be forced to do the maths toolbox unit or whatever it's called - would this waste your electives? Or will be it like an extra unit?

7th Sign

HSC
I am guessing you have to do Statistics of business and Accounting.

Well yes you do need 2 unit and 3 unit skills to pass these I did General maths at high school too and found those two subjects to be very hard..

they never had this "Basic Maths Skills Test" thing but in the past they only have made it compulsory last year...

My guess is that its not too hard, even if you fail I think you only have to do some maths training exercises during the semester its not the end of the world.

7th Sign

HSC
Let's say we didn't over 70% for the basic maths test, and would be forced to do the maths toolbox unit or whatever it's called - would this waste your electives? Or will be it like an extra unit?
it wouldn't wast your electives becuase

1) First year students don't get to do electives.
you do 4 subjects in sem1 and 4 subjects in sem2,

in second year/ 3rd / 4th you
do 2 subjects 2 electives.

It would just be additional work load for students.

7th Sign

HSC
you wouldnt pass it because you dont know calculus, they teach it in 2 unit maths and above
i would say it is considered "basic" by most becaause 2 unit maths is the norm when it comes to hsc subject selection, for most people the general course is just a joke and a waste of time
And you have done the test?

I have not personally done it but I know people who have,

General maths yes is easy,

I did 2 unit in year 11 and general in year 12...

To be brutally honest you will find stats and accounting very hard and maby marketing research if you have to do that...

but if you work at it hard and do the home work each week its very doable.

beefnoodle

HSC
And you have done the test?

I have not personally done it but I know people who have,

General maths yes is easy,

I did 2 unit in year 11 and general in year 12...

To be brutally honest you will find stats and accounting very hard and maby marketing research if you have to do that...

but if you work at it hard and do the home work each week its very doable.
what is my chance of passing after going to the bridging courses?
im thinking of asking a friend to "help me do the test" so i dont have to do the "maths toolbox unit". is that considered cheating?

If i passed the Basic Maths Skills Test and avoided doing "Maths Toolbox", what is my chance of passing "Statistics for Business".

One of my friends done general maths and passed "Statistics for Business"

will there be any Calculus involved in Level 2-3 of Finance?

schtrevey

BBC/LLB
HSC
WHat bridging course do I need to take? Statistics and algebra?

Sam990

HSC
ok i have just failed this so called basic maths quiz? do i have to do the toolbox quiz also is it compulsory?

i want to complete my enrollment in unit selection but it will only let me enroll in 3 units as the other 2 needed to have passed the maths test, which i failed =[

what should i do? help please

Last edited:

h3da

HSC
ok i have just failed this so called basic maths quiz? do i have to do the toolbox quiz also is it compulsory?

i want to complete my enrollment in unit selection but it will only let me enroll in 3 units as the other 2 needed to have passed the maths test, which i failed =[

what should i do? help please
simple.. just drop that unit and then pick another unit up and then redo the quiz again next semester :).. dw i got my friend to do mine last semester.. and i somehow still passed the unit because the so called basic maths test doesn't even relate to the unit much anyway.. look at ur schedule for your course and just pick one from 2nd semester..

Sam990

HSC
^^are your sure were able to do that, if i drop the unit for this semester (autumn) as i cannot choose it (Statistics for Business/Introduction to Economic Methods) and pick a unit for next semester (spring),

doesn't the unit for spring semester start in spring??

Last edited:

Darkenedjib

HSC
You can even pick from next year's units if those in Spring aren't available, or choose electives and make up for them later. I did 1 core and 3 electives last Autumn :sun:.

Sam990

HSC
ohok so it doesn't really matter which order you complete each semester?, sigh uws is "so" confusing

h3da

HSC
ohok so it doesn't really matter which order you complete each semester?, sigh uws is "so" confusing
that is just recommended schedule order.. but you don't have to follow it so its okay as long as u do it to be able to graduate

Sam990

HSC
that is just recommended schedule order.. but you don't have to follow it so its okay as long as u do it to be able to graduate
ohok kool thanks for your help, first time enrolling into uws can be confusing

Knowingnothing

Legendary!
HSC
All Universities are like this. UWS just makes this shit so much harder.

It doesn't really matter if you fail, you do some easier Maths unit which still gives you the 10 credit points which Statistics or Methods would provide.

And I imagine there is a significant difference in difficulty. IIRC, about 48% - 50% of people failed Semester 1 Stats last year.

And to note: You only do one of the maths subjects.

If i passed the Basic Maths Skills Test and avoided doing "Maths Toolbox", what is my chance of passing "Statistics for Business".
As above, there's a high failure rate, but the subject itself is not hard.

You'll pass if you :-

- Are competent at 2 Unit Maths
- Study a lot
- Able to understand concepts

Understanding is probably the most important. I went into the Final Exam not knowing a few chapters and learning them during the tests (since I never went to class and you get to bring the book into the test).

Last edited:

Sam990

HSC
ohok, to the above post what happens if you fail the maths test, are you able to redo it next semester? or is there any other way we can redo it besides undertaking the other maths unit??

i just request a rule waiver form so that i can be enrolled into Introduction to Economic Methods, hopefully i will be able to

Last edited:

Knowingnothing

Legendary!
HSC
From what I know, you should be able to do it again next semester when the slate is clean.

Rule Waivers are generally in special circumstances, but it's worth a shot if you're desperate.

Sam990

HSC
hm yeh if i could repeat the test next semester it would be great, but im not sure if you can my friends say you cant, i wanted to call uws just to make sure but the line was busy as! so i have to wait monday =[

KaneOosty

VIP Member
HSC
hm yeh if i could repeat the test next semester it would be great, but im not sure if you can my friends say you cant, i wanted to call uws just to make sure but the line was busy as! so i have to wait monday =[
You can, I just read up on it. Though you have to wait until June.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)