• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Bass Guitars - Spector? (1 Viewer)

HSC
I'm looking to buy a bass (I've always just borrowed a friend's for the time I've been playing), and want to get as much information as I can about possible chioces.

At the moment, I'm very impressed with 'Spector' basses. They have a nicely shaped body, the neck is smooth to play, they have a really nice sound, and are just generally good to play. The one I am looking at is on the high end euro models. Or possibly a lower end USA model. But I'm yet to decide.

What turned me off other models just as the Fender P's and J's is the body. To me, they are just far too big and heavy for my liking. I much prefer a smaller body, and a fairly thin neck.

See, music will eventually be my career when I am finished school (hopefully getting into university for a jazz course), so I need something good that will last me.

So, what I want to know is if anyone has any other suggestions of possible bass guitar brands / models that would suit my needs.

And also, if any one could comment on Spector basses, what they think of them, your experiences with them, etc. Anything would be of use.

Thanks. :)

LanaAustralia

HSC
I am a bassist, and I have a fender and am also looking into buying a new bass.I think that because fender pretty much created the electric bass guitar, it's pretty hard to go wrong with them, but you can defiently get some quality basses of other brands out there. I haven't had any experience with spector unfortunatly, but I think you should go with them if the basses produce the sound you would want from a bass, have good pick ups and are reasonable quality. You should do alot of research before purchacing your bass. It is also a fact of what feels good for you when playing it. So find a music store which sells them and you should have a play on them and a few others to get a feel for them. Also because I am not a professional and don't know everything about basses out there, I think you should also consult a professional about whether this is the bass for you and the advantages and disadvantages of it, maybe you could try what I did and email the people at www.basscentre.com.au for advice lol.

I am sorry that I can't offer you much advice about the spector basses. Good luck in finding you perfect bass :)

champo14

HSC
breanna15101990 said:
Surely someone knows SOMETHING about Spector's?
I don't know anything about Spectors.

Just letting you know...

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A
Spectors have a great rep amongst bassists, and the prices reflect the quality and reputation. Are you looking to mainly get into the jazz / fusion side of things? I don't know much about the Spectors but aren't many of the Spector bassists into rock/alternative? Can't say I know much about the Spector sound to be able to elaborate on this.

If you like Spectors because of the size and shape, you should also consider the German-made Warwicks, beautiful basses. The Spectors are generally lighter though, I think, because of the choice of woods but I do know the Warwick 'sound' and I'd get it for jazz/fusion/contemporary blues. In saying that, Warwicks have more range too I think, I see metal players with Warwicks. Your amp setup helps to determine the sound as well.

Last edited:
HSC
LanaAustralia said:
I am a bassist, and I have a fender and am also looking into buying a new bass.I think that because fender pretty much created the electric bass guitar, it's pretty hard to go wrong with them, but you can defiently get some quality basses of other brands out there. I haven't had any experience with spector unfortunatly, but I think you should go with them if the basses produce the sound you would want from a bass, have good pick ups and are reasonable quality. You should do alot of research before purchacing your bass. It is also a fact of what feels good for you when playing it. So find a music store which sells them and you should have a play on them and a few others to get a feel for them. Also because I am not a professional and don't know everything about basses out there, I think you should also consult a professional about whether this is the bass for you and the advantages and disadvantages of it, maybe you could try what I did and email the people at www.basscentre.com.au for advice lol.

I am sorry that I can't offer you much advice about the spector basses. Good luck in finding you perfect bass :)
Thanks, I have been in contact with the bass centre recently, and they have given me some good advice. Just out of interest, do you find the Fender uncomfortable at all, because the body is slightly large?
Thanks again.

HSC
RogueAcademic said:
Spectors have a great rep amongst bassists, and the prices reflect the quality and reputation. Are you looking to mainly get into the jazz / fusion side of things? I don't know much about the Spectors but aren't many of the Spector bassists into rock/alternative? Can't say I know much about the Spector sound to be able to elaborate on this.
Yeah, it's mainly the jazz/fusion style I'll probably be sticking to. And yes, I think you are right. As I've done more research into the Spectors, I think they are more into rock/alternative styles as you say. That could be a problem for me. Well, not so much a problem I suppose, but I am guessing there are other brands that may better suit my style.

RogueAcademic said:
If you like Spectors because of the size and shape, you should also consider the German-made Warwicks, beautiful basses. The Spectors are generally lighter though, I think, because of the choice of woods but I do know the Warwick 'sound' and I'd get it for jazz/fusion/contemporary blues. In saying that, Warwicks have more range too I think, I see metal players with Warwicks. Your amp setup helps to determine the sound as well.
Thanks for the advice, I'll take it on board and might check out the Warwicks. Just out of interest, what do you play?

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A
breanna15101990 said:
Thanks for the advice, I'll take it on board and might check out the Warwicks. Just out of interest, what do you play?
Don't forget to check out boutique names as well, like the Sadowsky. Great versatile basses but it'll cost you more for the quality. Do you know Victor Wooten?

I have:

- Yamaha fretless four string BB350f.

- Yamaha fretted four string BB350.

- Cort acoustic fretted four string bass guitar. (Model SJB5 I think, bought it a while ago, was an impulse purchase).

- Warwick 5 string Corvette Rockbass (a lower-end version of the German-made Warwick Corvette, but still a great bass).

- custom-made Bill Paulin 4 string EUB.

- a generic 3/4 double bass.

Would love to have:

- an American-made or CIJ 4 string sunburst Fender Precision.

- a Warwick Thumb bass Bolt-On.

- a New Standard La Scala double bass.

PS. the bass is not my first or only instrument. I'm much more comfortable on the piano.

Last edited:

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A
breanna15101990 said:
At the moment, I'm very impressed with 'Spector' basses. They have a nicely shaped body, the neck is smooth to play, they have a really nice sound, and are just generally good to play. The one I am looking at is on the high end euro models. Or possibly a lower end USA model. But I'm yet to decide.
If you like the Spector size, shape and sound, then by all means go ahead and get it. Don't let general perception about Spector being more common in rock/alt prevent you from considering it. Maybe it'll help you bring a new or different sound to jazz/fusion/blues.

What do your fav bass players play?

Lastly, if you (or your parents) have the money, the boutique names could make you a high quality bass to your custom needs and sound, according to your size/shape preferences.

LanaAustralia

HSC
breanna15101990 said:
Thanks, I have been in contact with the bass centre recently, and they have given me some good advice. Just out of interest, do you find the Fender uncomfortable at all, because the body is slightly large?
Thanks again.
No worries :D

Thats good that you have got some advice from them, they were very helpful for me too.

No, I have never had any problems with the fender bodies. I've had a fender right from the first time I picked up a bass, so if they are bigger I guess I've just learnt to adjust to it and it feels absolutely natural now.

see ya later :)

champo14

HSC
Wow, this is probably the livliest music thread there has been in a long time.

A little depressing, isn't it?

LanaAustralia

HSC
champo14 said:
Wow, this is probably the livliest music thread there has been in a long time.

A little depressing, isn't it?
lol yes it is depressing...

Is anyone on here who plays bass annoyed at the lack of bass magazines in Australia? There are alot of guitar and drum magazines but not any on bass that I know of? Only ones that get specially ordered from over seas and they are rare for me to find in most newsagents... just thought I would see if anyone had anything to say on this

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A
LanaAustralia said:
lol yes it is depressing...

Is anyone on here who plays bass annoyed at the lack of bass magazines in Australia? There are alot of guitar and drum magazines but not any on bass that I know of? Only ones that get specially ordered from over seas and they are rare for me to find in most newsagents... just thought I would see if anyone had anything to say on this
There's Bass Guitar magazine, and Bass Player magazine which are usually available in the newsagents though. Where are you located..?

neafoo

HSC
Ask the bass section on Ultimate-guitar.com

I only have a yamaha rbx 170 but one day ill buy myself a delicious fender p bass ;D~
Or maybe a Rickenbacker 4003 (which they just got one at basspeople on paramatta road but it's $3800)

HSC
RogueAcademic said:
Don't forget to check out boutique names as well, like the Sadowsky. Great versatile basses but it'll cost you more for the quality.
Yeah, I have been told that they are AWESOME basses hey. Well, I still haven't got one yet, I still really don't know what I want yet, so I'm still bashing away at my teachers old old old bass. lol. But I love it to bits.

RogueAcademic said:
Do you know Victor Wooten?
Well, not personally, lol, but yeah, I have listened to his albums. Insane bassist that one.

http://www.billpaulineubs.com/
RogueAcademic said:
PS. the bass is not my first or only instrument. I'm much more comfortable on the piano.
Exactly the same for me. I have played piano since I was around 6 or something, got into guitar at around 12, which I thought would be my main instrument, so I have quite a nice collection coming along now. lol.
- 2006 Gibson Les Paul
- 2004 Maton Steel String Acoustic
- 2007 Hofner Classical Nylon String (The Wood is so sweet on this guitar!)
- Other random not-as-good nylons. lol
- WISHING I had a Gibson ES-175. I think its my aim in life to own one of these guitars lol.

So, I've gotten these guitars thinking thats what I would be on, until the bass came along. lol. I love it sooooo much more. So now I need a bass. Haha. I've also tried clarinet, until I realised I hate that instrument, and now I'm mucking around with a sax.

So you play piano? Any particular styles you like? Man, I learned classical for agesssss and I ended up giving it up at the start of this year. I might get into the jazz piano side of things though, it sounds pretty awesome hey.

HSC
RogueAcademic said:
If you like the Spector size, shape and sound, then by all means go ahead and get it. Don't let general perception about Spector being more common in rock/alt prevent you from considering it. Maybe it'll help you bring a new or different sound to jazz/fusion/blues.

What do your fav bass players play?

Lastly, if you (or your parents) have the money, the boutique names could make you a high quality bass to your custom needs and sound, according to your size/shape preferences.
Yeah, I agree, thanks for the advice.
Well at the moment I can't really say I have any favourite bass players I suppose, the main reason being I don't really listen to much music. I know, its really bad lol. But I play so much, and find I really don't listen to alot. I really need to start though. lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)