Bass Players (1 Viewer)

thw88z

HSC
What sorta songs are other bass players doing for their HSC exam? Especially for MUSIC 1?

What pop songs can you do to show yourself off more than playing 8 quavers in a bar?

thw88z

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
A few songs you could play that show off the bass a bit:

* The Who - Quadrophenia (the bass has the lead for most of the song)

* Level 42 has some truly excellent bass playing done by mark king but to play it you'll want to be pretty proficient at slap bass. 'Hot water', 'Love games' and '43' have some good bass lines but if you really want to blow some one away then have a go at 'Mr Pink ' which is my personal favourite bass line. Here's the gist of the first riffs of Mr Pink http://www.cdscout.co.uk/olliecollins/MrPink.htm

* Jamiroquai, especially in their early stuff has some really good bass lines. It's a good mix of popo/funk/acid jazz. Have a listen to 'Travelling without moving' and 'High Times'. IMO their best bass track is 'Space Cowboy' which was played by Stuart Zender. Regardless of whether you learn it as a piece, learn space cowboy.

* Stevie Wonder - Sir Duke (play the band shout at the middle and the end)

* Rush, Geddy Lee created some pretty quality bass lines, check out stuff like the odd time signature section in 'Tom Sawyer'

* Earth, Wind and Fire have a lot of good pop-funk tracks, have a listen to 'Serpentine fire' and 'In the stone'.

* Michael Jackson - Rock with you (this is really good quality bass playing. This transcription is very good but it might be a step out of tune: http://www.pnc.com.au/~beehive/rock.html )

* Rage Against The Machine - Bombtrack (Good punchy rock riffs, as per most of their songs)

I hope that gives you somethign to work with.

HSC
I'm doing two victor wooten songs, more love and norweigan wood (cover of the beatles). They are bass solo pieces so they aren't really pop and i'm sure not many non-bassists have heard of him.

thw88z

HSC
Thanks.

Level 42...right into them and have all their dvds of website.

Stevie sir duke....started that and getting stuck on "BIG BAND RIFF"

Jamiroquai.....bought the SIMON MERRICK transc book - very cool...working through that.

Will look at those other suggestions....

thanks heaps.....

weatherlicious

HSC
I'm doing Music 2 and Extension so they want things as classical as possible, but I'm choosing Mr. Pastorius, Portrait of Tracy and Jacob's Ladder; which are all pretty challenging; I still have to find a good song for the core perfomance though. Good luck.

west man

HSC
hey
i found it really hard to find good bass pieces.. so i made up my own lol.. well i made up 1 of my own to use,its on my myspace if u wannu use it.. www.myspace.com/croonbot
i'm also doing an intro to californication, done on one of the chili peppers live albums, a classical piece 'elephants gavotte'... and maybe 'longview' - by greenday.. havn't decided on my final piece yet
cya guys

bassguy

HSC
man, portrait of tracy
awesome
ive been trying to do it, but the harmonics on mine really need setting up
not to mention it's hard as fuck

level 42 - mr pink
theres a live version on powertab with a big bass solo in the middle
victor wooten - me and my bass guitar
actually, anything by victor wooten
jaco pastorious - chromatic fantasy

rass

HSC
I'm looking at pulling teeth by metallica. I'm also considering Crash Course In Brain Surgery (probably the Metallica cover), which has a bass intro and solo, but I don't know how hard it actually is.

I think a lot of stuff by The Who has some great bass lines in it. The Real Me is quality. Someone mentioned Rage Against The Machine as well, and a lot of that is pretty bass driven, like Wake Up.

etienne

HSC
Portrait of Tracy was a tricky one... stoaked that it was mentioned though - I already sent a recording of it in, and didn't know whether it was a good enough piece for an HSC (I've got a mate who decided that Donna Lee by Jaco Pastorius might not be enough - he's crazy good). I was thinking of going straight Pastorius, and doing Teen Town or Come On, Come Over... though Call Me Al by Paul Simon (Featuring Abraham Laboriel on the bass I believe) is something I'd advise somebody to try - good bass solo, and otherwise, a pretty tight bass groove.

I wish I had the capacity to do something Wootenish, but fingertapping and double thumbing are so much of a pain to learn - I'm impressed by anybody who does Norwegian Wood. Is anybody actually doing the Level 42 song Mr Pink, or Love Games? Can't find a decent transcript for either.

How do you guys rate Flea's solo intro to Throw Away Your Television on Live In Hyde Park?
:burn:

jackmurray1989

Mr Mature
HSC
weatherlicious said:
Jacob's Ladder
That'd be good.

Any Jaco song would get you ripping marks if you played it well.

I'm also doing a Marcus Miller song, Power, as well. MM songs are good because you can play them with just a drummer.

edieonthebass

HSC
yeh doing the hsc this year coming and playing bass
have played for 6-7 years so can do most stuff except for the insane tapping/slapping
having lots of trouble finding stuff hard enough to do otherwise
out of my four songs i hav chosen portrait of tracy by jaco and high and dry by jamie cullum but need two more but cant find a hard enough rock/alternative song, any ideas?
sir duke sounds gud hav played it before, how would u arrange that though? with a small big band like horns and a rhythm section?

Heckles

HSC
man, victor wooten
if you havnt heard him you havnt heard bass being played.
Best songs imo:

me and my bass guitar
you cant hold no groove
norwegian wood
cherokee (if you can play this get out of school and get famous)

try them out, may have to buy some cd's but they are damn expensive...
however they are all over youtube, especially me and my bass guitar

best wishes bassists

Jabba Da Hat

HSC
wow some awesome stuff i'm only in year 11 thinking of some bass pieces that arent too hard (i have been learning for 2 years) that are flipping awesome, thinking some chili peppers or rage against the machine or maybe some james jamerson jnr (ain't that percuriar) or something simialr to these

Hardchore

HSC
So far.. I'm looking at doing continuum by jaco pastorius and YYZ by rush. It pays to have a talented drummer and guitarist that are keen to play for you :D

jbunter

HSC
For My Core i Play Otherside by the Chili Peppers to a backing track (because i didnt have enough time to get rehearsals with a band etc.), and for my elective im thinking i might give birdland a go with a band.

xturban

HSC
I'm doing for my electives:
Silly Putty - Stanley Clarke
Glide - Pleasure
Portrait Of Tracy - Jaco Pastorius

And for my core:
Either a Jam in E or something by Marcus Miller. Havn't decided yet haha.

I also take my hat off to anyone who pulls off anything by Wooten. The way he uses that double thumbing technique puts anyone back into there place haha :)

Silversilence

HSC
Well, I'm doing music 2, and I'm thinking of doing one double bass piece and one electric bass piece.

I was thinking of Dragonetti's Waltz no. 7, but I'm having a hard time finding Australian pieces for bass.

I'm composing 2 other pieces so yeah.

AAEldar

Premium Member
HSC
Well, I'm doing music 2, and I'm thinking of doing one double bass piece and one electric bass piece.

I was thinking of Dragonetti's Waltz no. 7, but I'm having a hard time finding Australian pieces for bass.

I'm composing 2 other pieces so yeah.
Tal Wilkenfeld? Something of hers?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)