Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother (1 Viewer)

terminator69

HSC
I have a feeling this novel will be very relevant to the demographic of people on BoS. It's written by a Chinese mother and goes through the differences in parenting between Chinese and Western parents based on the author's experiences. ie. she talks about how she raised her daughters to do hours of homework/study a night and how they were never allowed to watch tv etc. Also, she would get really angry if her daughter's scored A minus on a test meanwhile Western parents would be rewarding their children for getting Bs etc.

I'm almost finished reading it now and can't help but apply the logic explored in the book to my own life. ie. my mum is a dumb bitch and did not tell me to do my homework once, during the entirety of high school. I have no doubt that I would be significantly smarter and better off if I was told to do my homework, study and explore extracurricular content. When I used to think about other students doing well and ponder why I was not able to reach them academically, it puts it into perspective that they were actually working a lot harder than me. Then again, I do not think I would volunteer for the very strict lifestyle condoned in this book, but perhaps a milder version of it.

So; check it!

musing

HSC
There's an article about this book on the Wall Street Journal called "Why Chinese Mothers are Superior." I think it's an interesting read, do check it out guys! Even better, skim through some of the comments and you'll see how the opinions are divided. At first, when I read the article - I thought Amy was joking because she came off as a stereotypical Asian mother and I actually laughed at some point...

Last edited:

aussienerd

Don't eat yellow snow.
HSC
Uni Grad
I've read this book and I love it. I went out and ordered it in from America so I could read it again and again. This woman inspires me to raise my children in a way that they will achieve more and be more successful than I ever can. Even though I'm a lesbian and not at all asian, I still want children, and I want to raise them similarly to how Amy Chao raised hers, what with drilling in maths into them at a young age and getting them to learn the piano or violin the Suzuki style way. But I want my children to have a life other than study so I will put my own spin on this 'stereotypical Chinese mother' thing. It is a really good book, I have to admit, although I don't always like the author's point of view, but I can respect her, and I idolise her.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)