BBus/BScit vs BScit (1 Viewer)

Caution123

HSC
Hello, its me again :) I'm now considering Bbus/BScit now since it offers the recently added 1 year work experience and had a few queeries.

If I were to do the Bscit/Int Studies course I was planning to get a double major in Internetworking and Applications and Business Information Systems Management. But If I were to choose BBus/BScit that would mean one IT Major (which I would choose Internetworking and Applications) and one business major, however when I look at the business majors and compare them to the Business Information Systems Management major from Bscit it seems to me that the latter would be more beneficial as it teaches how to you use your IT skills in the business rather than the Majors in Business degrees which well... seem sort of unrelated to me :/ ie. Economics, Accounting.

For someone who wants to work on the business and IT side and have a strong foundatation in both areas such as a business analyst, what would be the better choice?

Thanks in advance!

Hakz

Proud Member
HSC
N/A
hi, well business analyst are people who have studied business information systems or information systems. B.business does not teach computing/IT so you cant get a business analyst job, nor will IT (internetworking and applications) unless you choose a large amount of information systems (ie database) subjects as electives.

Caution123

HSC
Oh I thought doing an IT degree with some combined business would lead to becoming a business analyst. But thats beside the point :p I only used business analyst as an example :] as I couldnt think of any other occupations that related IT and Business together.

Hakz

Proud Member
HSC
N/A
ok well by studying business you can apply it to IT applications, ie create programs for business purposes. I recommneded you check the course descriptions and see what the job oppertunities are for each degree.
But ye business is a good to do as a lot of the money is in business these days + IT is applied largely to business these days, so good combination.

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC
If you are primarily planning to work in the IT industry in the future, I'd chose BScIT over BBus/BScIT. BScIT with the double majors would give you a strong foothold in the IT industry regardless of which of the 2 majors you chose from.

But, If you want to have a future in Business, I'd choose BBus/BScIT. For example, I am aiming for a future career in Accounting, and I want to use my background in Information Technology for fields in Accounting like Risk Management and IT Auditing/Security.

It really depends on what you want to do. Both of the degrees give you a vast opportunity for any future career in IT or Business you may want to get into.

mysteek1

HSC
Hey,
It really depends on where your interests lie. If you have no interest in the business side, you won’t enjoy the course and your grades will clearly reflect that.

By choosing either B Bus/Bscit or BScIT you are no less disadvantaged when applying for a Job, even within the IT industry. In fact, by differentiating yourself by holding a double degree, your broader skill set is considerably more attractive to employers than single degrees even though you only hold 1 IT major. I say this from past experience in attending interviews where managers and senior staff from large organisations have said this to me.

The things you learn at university level only constitute a VERY small percentage of the knowledge you will use in the workforce. Employers are looking for skills which university helps develop, not only the things you learn. These skills can also be developed by involving yourself and taking part in various activities, may that be sport, leadership/business skill development programs or what not. This is what employers are looking for. Your ability to take self initiative and ability to learn.

So in the end, if you are looking for a career only in IT, then BScIT is probably more suited to you. If you also have an interest in the Business side of things and are considering a job which utilises both your IT and Business skills, then B Bus/BScIT is the way to go. An example I can think of off the top of my head would be say if you did a finance major plus you had an IT degree, you could possibly find a job in an IT advisory type of role which analyses financial institutions. Once again, you can still get into a similar role by completing a BScIT course but the B Bus/BScIT would provide you with a fundamental grounding in the finance side of things.

When I talk about business, i’m referring to fields such as accounting, finance, HR, management, marketing etc.

Hope that helps.

Caution123

HSC
Thanks for the input guys! Well now that I think about it, I actually don't know if the business side of IT may or may not interset me since I've never studied anything business related in school... I'll have to have a good think about this one.

*edit* Oh yea with your majors do you choose them when you enroll or later on throughout the year?

Last edited:

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC
You can enrol into your majors just before you start them. In your first year of your degree, you would be completing your core subjects (which are compulsory), and it would normally be in your second year that you would choose your major.

The core subjects would essentially give you a general idea of what you are going to be doing in your major.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)