BCom/BA orrrrr BCom(International) at UNSW?? (1 Viewer)

HSC
Hi

I am having a dilemma about preferences over BCom/BA or BCom(International) at UNSW.

from 2012, both Commerce/Arts and Commerce (International) will take only 4 years so in terms of time, neither advantage over the other.

I like Commerce/Arts because you get to graduate with two degrees.

but I'm also really interested in the international component of BCom(Intl), and in doinng a language studies like Chinese Studies and the compulsory exchange part is very appealing.

is there any reason why Commerce (International) is a more difficult degree to get into??? is it generally the better degree?

any suggestions?? I really want to sort out more preferences :/

D94

HSC
N/A
is there any reason why Commerce (International) is a more difficult degree to get into??? is it generally the better degree?
The ATAR entry scores are based on supply & demand, and don't always reflect the "better degree".

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Agreed with D94- ATAR is based on supply/demand rather than which course is better.

As for which one to choose, keep in mind that language is something which is very challenging at university level and it'll impact your WAM (weighted average mark). WAM is the one number which employers ask for- not everyone gives it the same priority/importance, but you'd want it to be higher rather than lower, and unfortunately the language subjects typically are the toughest to do well in. My suggestion is do language for fun outside of university because at the end of the day, most employers will ask you what languages you know and at what proficiency- noone will ask you for any kind of qualifications or proof unless you're actually interested in a role which requires that (e.g. translators), and even then, they usually aren't that strict as I have friends who work as translators.

HSC
okay thanks I know atar cutoffs are determined by supply and demand but since BCom International has a higher cutoff, as well as taking into fact that the HSC+ Scheme doesn't apply for this course, which means that there's more demand for this course right?? and if it's more popular and difficult course to get into, does it mean somehow mean it's a "better" commerce course???

usually the more difficult the course in, the higher it is in demand, and the course must be popular for a reason right???? I'm just wondering if there is such a reason from BCom(international) if you understand what I'm trying to get at.

I reckon I should go for BCom/BA becuase I want to major in psychology for BA and maybe do a Diploma of Languages instead????

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
What are you aspiring to do career wise?

Whilst you can reach the conclusion you got to regarding cutoffs and whether it makes it a better course, etc... it needs to be taken with a grain of salt.

jaychouf4n

HSC
Comm international screws up your Schedule for applying for internships and whatnot.

Even though it is an extra year over commerce, it is actully more difficult to arrange internships and graduate jobs. as an example, say you are a comm international student going overseas to china for a year. You will be going over in the third year of your 4 year degree. That means you will be unable to apply for internships in your third year because you will be unavailable to attend the interview. (if you're applying for a global organization you might be able to interview in a foreign office, but that means a lot more jumps and hurdles compared to a normal comm student)

This means that you need to apply for internships in the second year of your degree. The issues here are that 1. You are not penultimate 2. If ou get offered a graduate job even if you get an internship, you will not be able to take it without serious negotiation with human resources to defer the graduate job for a year.

My advice for someone who wants to go overseas during their degree is to complete commerce/economics and apply for exchange for the first semester of their second year. This means they will be able to apply for internships in their second year semester 2 (which is when most IBs and retail banks open applications) if they do not get the internship in their second year, they get another opportunity in their third year upon receiving, they will be able to accept the graduate job thereafter.

In other words, in exchange for one lest semester on exchange, the student gets two chances at an internship which will be easier to obtain than if they had done a commerce international degree. The language can be studied non award outside of uni.

HSC
I'm interested in human resources/finance, I'm not sure yet.

oohokay. that's reallly interesting. I'm definitely reconsidering BCom International. thanks for the advice jaychouf4n :)

D94

HSC
N/A
okay thanks I know atar cutoffs are determined by supply and demand but since BCom International has a higher cutoff, as well as taking into fact that the HSC+ Scheme doesn't apply for this course, which means that there's more demand for this course right?? and if it's more popular and difficult course to get into, does it mean somehow mean it's a "better" commerce course???

usually the more difficult the course in, the higher it is in demand, and the course must be popular for a reason right???? I'm just wondering if there is such a reason from BCom(international) if you understand what I'm trying to get at. [...]
It doesn't necessarily mean the course is better, rather just more popular; the reason behind is is personal, not universal. Everyone has their own reasons to choose a course; maybe this/last year's cohort has more interest in Commerce and its varieties.

Last edited:

runnable

HSC
Not worth it to do Comm(Int) IMO. You can take on languages with BComm and also go on exchange, even for 2 semesters. Not worth ripping your WAM with language courses. Not enough companies understand the concept of Comm(Internationa) anyway.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)