BCom - do i have a chance? (1 Viewer)

La Divina

maxin' and relaxin'
HSC
I got a UAI of 94.45 and my first preference is BCom at USyd

Do I have any chance of making it?? Are there alternative ways to enter?

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
If you don't get the UAI for commerce, you could try applying for B Economics. It's very similar to the BCom, and if you do reasonably well you can transfer into BCom after your first year.

Ricenmoo

Teh Pwnerer
HSC
Does Usyd have a bonus points scheme similar to UNSW and UTS?

And does anyone have any idea how USYD treats applicants who are applying under EAS?

La Divina

maxin' and relaxin'
HSC
I dont think that USyd has bonus points for courses in the economics and business faculty, although you should confirm by checking the website.

Ricenmoo

Teh Pwnerer
HSC
Usyd just has a "flexible entry" scheme from what ive seen, where you can apply for some courses if you are within five marks of the cutoff. Different courses have different ways to apply this way, for example writing a letter.

However Bcomm isnt included as one of the courses in this program from what i remember.

Im not really sure what course I'm going to go for then, nor what courses i can actually get into. I know someone who is usually quite knowledgable about these things but I havn't been able to contact them lately.

La Divina

maxin' and relaxin'
HSC
I think you could take triangulum's advice and go for BEco at USyd or stick with BCom and UNSW and try out for the RBA thing :p

ps. pm me about what u want to do

stazi

Nightman
HSC
You can literally take any degree that allows you to take the core commerce subjects, and then just transfer them over, along with your degree in the following year. You would only need very average marks to transfer with that UAI

La Divina

maxin' and relaxin'
HSC
I have to do a commerce degree because I will be doing a cadetship >< ah well if I can't make it into USyd guess I have to rely on bonus points for UNSW =)

Last edited:

stazi

Nightman
HSC
so you cant do a cadetship with a b eco degree, even if you're taking accounting units?

La Divina

maxin' and relaxin'
HSC
I guess I can if I want to, but I'd rather not go through the trouble of having to transfer in to commerce esp because it will be pretty stressful having uni full time and working all the other time. I've considered BEco though, but I think that if i dont get into Sydney I'll try my luck with NSW

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Well, as long as you don't fail anything you'll pretty much be guaranteed a transfer.

La Divina

maxin' and relaxin'
HSC
If I do transfer, would that mean it will take me longer to complete my degree seeing as though I would have done some core subjects in Eco already?

Ricenmoo

Teh Pwnerer
HSC
So Stazi, your saying so long as you pass all your subjects you will be guarenteed a transfere?

And where would one find information on the composition of the first year of the B Eco, subject wise. Im curious how many irrelevant subjects one would need to take, assuming they would wish to switch to Bcom and major in something non economics related.

HSC
La Divina said:
I got a UAI of 94.45 and my first preference is BCom at USyd

Do I have any chance of making it?? Are there alternative ways to enter?
does it have to be usyd? how about another uni like uts, isn't that close enough?

stazi

Nightman
HSC
no. you don't have to take any core eco subjects if you don't want to, as you don't intend to graduate with a b. eco degree.

I did b economic & social sciences whilst intending to do b. commerce or commerce (liberal studies). The degree will take the same amount of time to complete. Say first semester commerce has Accounting 1A, Microeconomics, Econometrics 1010 and Marketing Principles as recommended, then you could do those units under the b. eco program.

Likewise, if I wanted to transfer to a science (advanced) degree from b. commerce, I wouldn't do any commerce units, I would do psychology, maths, etc.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Ricenmoo said:
So Stazi, your saying so long as you pass all your subjects you will be guarenteed a transfere?

And where would one find information on the composition of the first year of the B Eco, subject wise. Im curious how many irrelevant subjects one would need to take, assuming they would wish to switch to Bcom and major in something non economics related.
No, it depends on your UAI, your grades at uni and some other factors, but generally speaking, a person with a 94 UAI who passes all their subjects will get a transfer. To be safe some people go for a credit average (after all, this looks better to employers). I think someone from this forum transferred into b. com with a 88UAI and a credit average, or that may have been b. eco.

As for the second question, again, you would have to do 0 irrelevant subjects (see my response above). For the composition of degrees look at www.usyd.edu.au/handbooks/

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
Ricenmoo said:
Bachelor of Economics
Bachelor of Commerce

You could structure a BEc first year to be identical to a BComm first year, and then transfer and lose no time at all. Something along the lines of ECON1001, ECON1002, ECMT1010, ACCT1001, ACCT1002, MKTG1001/INFS1000 and two junior electives.

La Divina

maxin' and relaxin'
HSC
Thank you stazi and triangulum for this very valuable advice

One more thing: when is the earliest I can transfer into BCom if I do BEco?

beentherdunthat

HSC
Staz i was readin the b commerce (liberal ) thread.

Did you end up transferring to liberal?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)