BCommerce vs BCommerce/BArt (1 Viewer)

vickrim

HSC
With a wish to pursue a career in business/finance/blahlaa, Commerce/Eco have always been an agenda.

However, recently, I've had thoughts on combining it to an Arts degree. Add an extra 2 years. Whilst I have no plan to pursue a career anyhow related to the Arts degree, I want to study it purely because I'm interested. When am I, ever after I graduate going to stumble upon an opportunity to study language, culture etc at school?

I've got a few questions, however... if anyone can answer one, all or a few - it'd be greatly appreciated!

1. I've heard that instead of being able to do 2 majors in Commerce, I can only do one now. Is this a perogative (i.e. If I'm willing to take on the extra workload...) or is it the situation of "no, only one... sorry"?

2. Are there any (post grad prospects) advantage of a combined with Arts course over someone who just did Bcomm?

Ha damn, I had other questions in mind and as soon as I created teh list, they flew out the window...

Will come back for more later?

TIA!

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
With a wish to pursue a career in business/finance/blahlaa, Commerce/Eco have always been an agenda.

However, recently, I've had thoughts on combining it to an Arts degree. Add an extra 2 years. Whilst I have no plan to pursue a career anyhow related to the Arts degree, I want to study it purely because I'm interested. When am I, ever after I graduate going to stumble upon an opportunity to study language, culture etc at school?

I've got a few questions, however... if anyone can answer one, all or a few - it'd be greatly appreciated!

1. I've heard that instead of being able to do 2 majors in Commerce, I can only do one now. Is this a perogative (i.e. If I'm willing to take on the extra workload...) or is it the situation of "no, only one... sorry"?
This depends upon the university and their individual courses. I would suggest you visit the website and course handbooks of each of the unis you want to go to and check. At a guess, you probably only can do three majors total, however this may be flexible and you could do two commerce, one arts or two arts and one commerce.

2. Are there any (post grad prospects) advantage of a combined with Arts course over someone who just did Bcomm?

Ha damn, I had other questions in mind and as soon as I created teh list, they flew out the window...

Will come back for more later?
There are heaps of postgrad opportunities for Comm/Arts students. Ceteris parabis, any employer would hire you over someone else with just a commerce or an arts degree.
Specifically, if you major in a language the company will love you for that, similarly if you major in something with practical applications in the business world, such as psychology, sociology, demographics etc. Not so much so if you major in something unrelated, like history or theology.

BeeCom

HSC
If I could go back, I'd definitely do a double degree - and I'm doing another degree post graduate so it would've been better for me as well! If you're even remotely considering it, do it.

vickrim

HSC
Hey thanks....

moll.
- Yep, checked the Usyd website ... it says "Students must aslo complete at least one major from the Commerce major areas of study for the degree."

So I guess two is an option here right? It's just that my tutor (who is doing Law at USyd) said it was only one... so I freaked out and now just wanting confirmation...

BeeCom Haha yeah thanks. I'm not remotely considering it... I'm very keen it's just that I don't want to lose out one major from the Commerce course... and the fact that I'm getting mixed reviews from people...

spence

HSC
Hey thanks....

moll.
- Yep, checked the Usyd website ... it says "Students must aslo complete at least one major from the Commerce major areas of study for the degree."

So I guess two is an option here right? It's just that my tutor (who is doing Law at USyd) said it was only one... so I freaked out and now just wanting confirmation...

BeeCom Haha yeah thanks. I'm not remotely considering it... I'm very keen it's just that I don't want to lose out one major from the Commerce course... and the fact that I'm getting mixed reviews from people...
You can definately do two majors at USyd. For combined law, its one though which might be why your tutor thought that

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
Hey thanks....

moll.

It should have in the course description somewhere a range of major, minor and elective options. Like for mine (Comm/Eco @ UNSW) I had the choice of two majors for commerce and one for economics, swapping one of those majors for two minors, or swapping them for electives.

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
comm/law = 1 from comm 1 from law
comm/arts = 2 from comm 2 fromm arts
comm/science = 1 from comm and 1 from science (with exceptions there can be 2)
comm/eng = 1 from comm 1 from eng
comm/eco = 3 majors

thats all i could think of. by the way, the numbers represent the number of maximum majors are available (from my memmory at unsw)

vickrim

HSC
comm/law = 1 from comm 1 from law
comm/arts = 2 from comm 2 fromm arts
comm/science = 1 from comm and 1 from science (with exceptions there can be 2)
comm/eng = 1 from comm 1 from eng
comm/eco = 3 majors

thats all i could think of. by the way, the numbers represent the number of maximum majors are available (from my memmory at unsw)
Hey.. THanks so much for that!!

Really appreciate it.

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
Aslong as you don't major in something crap I would consider the arts degree. Looking up the units is a must.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)