BDesArch vs BDesComp ????? (1 Viewer)

lost1

HSC
Now that im a good way through year11 i started thinking about the cource i want to do in Uni and 'Bachelor of Design in Architecture' and 'Bachelor of Design Computing ' seem like the filed i want to get into...Im leaning more towards Design Computing as it seem more interesting and fun, +Im only doing stn english, +its got a lower UAI requirement...the only thing is im not sure if there are many job opportunities for the degree....any help is appreciated

hotcocoa

HSC
I haven't logged in here for ages (You last visited: 20 Dec 2006 at 9:09 AM) but I do know that there are similar topics such as this.
Anyways, its good that you're thinking early ;p
I currently do Design Computering (first year) at USyd. I only got 82.4 in UAI so I guess I entered through portfolio (they accept it if you're in the 80-85 mark). Those who get into accepted in is only like 40 people + probably 5 from portfolio.
Just to give you all the basic info: it's 3 years, 1st year is a set course (so you don't have to choose/ can't choose electives), the rest of the 2 years you get to pick 12 units of study (usually 2 subjects of anything you want). It's 18 hours shedule but you don't have to attend everything ;p The first term, we have to do database management (SQL, XML, UML and Express-G) - you have to code and stuff (not the best subject..); another is understanding design and cognition which is basically getting to know the basis (function, structure, behaviour) - be prepared to take on analysis of chairs (though the best thing is that we get alot of guest lecturers - like a guy from Animal Logic who talked about behind the scenes in design in Happy Feet ;p); the last one is practical work - this is the best; its split up into all the practical work - like learning Photoshop and Illustrator and then you have studio work ^^ For most of the this term, we spent time making our own comic (due tmr). And half the times its 'self-directed work' so you didn't have to come to uni.
Next term, we're doing 3d modeling (and unfortunately the theory of multimedia while we're at it).
Oh yea, and there's NO exams (unless you choose an elective like Bio which has exams..) so we get like holidays 2 weeks earlier than the rest of the ppl ;p
English isn't much of a problem actually; a friend of mine is an international student and her english is like esl? But she's still getting credit scores.
There are actually plenty of jobs avaliable, as Design Computing students come out as anything you want to be because of the flexibility in electives. From game designers, to animators, to web developers - could be consultants, database management, marketing etc. It's just that they pay for low end isn't that great (maybe 20-40k a year), however if your on high end could get (80-100k).
I believe BA Design in Architecture is just the basis for continuing on to do BA Architecture. And it really would depend on what you like.
If you still want to keep your options open, I suggest you go for BA Science and Technology - 1 science, 1 maths, 1 or 2 electives - which still allows you to do design computing stuff if you go for the 'design stream'.

Last edited:

lost1

HSC
thanks for that very helpfull info...comeing back to job oppertunities, would it be very diffficult to be in the 'high end' and also wat would the average pay rate straigh after i finish uni?

mikki16

HSC
lost1

Im currently a second year architecture student at Usyd. Meaning no disrespect to the person who replied to your first message, but i found that what they said (while some of it was true...) only indicated how truly DELUDED they are when it comes down to certain aspects of the design computing course. What they said about the subject coverage, exam info etc is all quite true. But the job opportunities at the end???!!! hmmm... i think hotcocoa should really look into the field and wake up to themselves.

While BDesArch and BDesComp are quite diverse, there are some aspects to both courses that cross over, particularly if you choose to do BDesArch and do the Digital Architecture Stream. Im currently doing that now- and loving it to the point where a part of me wishes i chose to do Design Computing over Architecture. However if you choose to do architecture over descomp you will have a much higher EMPLOYABILITY- but you must consider that to be employed as an architect you must complete both a b in design in architecture and a b in architecture to become registered effectively. look into the process of becoming an architect at the usyd website or even better, the RAIA web board. v. good.

Not to say that no one will hire you if you do a b of descomp. not at all! but considering the competative nature of the various industries (eg. 3d modelling, animating... advertising, web based design etc.) it would be quite hard to break into anything solid without knowing someone influencial in one of the leading companies. The same thing in a sence applies to architecture graduates (i found that only a lucky few with parents as architects or something have jobs as juniors in my grade) but to a lesser degree.

Sorry to rave on and everything- but i thought i would elaborate a bit...

I recently undertook 3d animation as an elective and loved it to the point where i knew i had to do it over architecture. i spoke to my tutor about it and asked him what my employability would be like if i finished my b of desarch and then undertook digital media as a postgrad course (this is a 2 year masters program where it is like design computing but more arty... less coding involved... lol stuff like that...) but he told me that even with those qualifications id have very little chance of making it into a company and it would be better if i forked out alot of cash and went overseas to learn at a proper institution. naturally at this news i became suicidally depressed because of the total lack of FUNDS i have... but yeah- to hear it from his mouth was pretty refreshing and woke me up a bit.

The purpose of my reply is not to deter you from either of Bdesarch or descomp. The point i am trying to make is that you should choose to do the course that best fits you- irrespective of the current employment opportunities in the seperate industries. Architecture has a higher demand for graduates atm, but they say that the entertainment and advertising industries are the fastest growing. Just have realistic views about what would be available to you as a recent graduate. do not consider things such as the 'high-end wages' and the lack of exams as positive/influencial factors in making your career choices. if you do- its guaranteed you'll be miserable. Just think- if you like buildings- architecture. if you like computers- do design computing. if you like both- in a sense it doesnt really matter what you do because each degree is quite flexible.

good luck- im sure you can make the right decision- its not like you cant change your mind half way through your degree like i have anyway.
as for me? im finishing the b of desarch and then working for 3 years before going overseas for 2 years to study... well thats the plan. if i get a job when i get back- FANTASTIC. if i dont... well ill still have had two fantastic years overseas... and the option of going back to uni here to finish my architecture course with the second degree and become registered ... when im much older hahaha.

tell me what you think.
mikki

hotcocoa

HSC
mikki16 said:
hmmm... i think hotcocoa should really look into the field and wake up to themselves.
Like I said, I'm only in first year. Anyways, mikki16 you are too harsh and being totally confusing.
So.. you have "to be employed as an architect you must complete both a b in design in architecture and a b in architecture to become registered effectively" - lost1 did not specify what he wanted so why should anyone spend 5 years to do BA Design Architecture and in it the design stream when you can do everything in BA Design Computing in 3 years? Maybe you get the certification, but what is the difference to that and qualifications? In Australia employers want more experience on the field rather than qualifications whereby like China, they would choose the Doctor over the Graduate without hesitation.

Of course you should do what you like, and don't think so much to where you might end up because the lecturers have told us plenty of times that many find different and interesting prospects than what they first wanted. I aim high, but it would still take time and effort to get there. It goes with anything you want to achieve in life. You could get 100k a year, but Hate what you do; though who knows what is going to happen in a few years time? Perhaps neither of the careers the 2 courses offered would get us anywhere - or we both can have fantastic jobs in the end.

Just now, decide what you like to do, as you can always change degrees. After 1st sem 1st year - 2 people have decided to change their degree in BA Design Computing, but I know many more who would love to transfer into this course immediately.

mikki16

HSC
ah, your probably right about me being confusing and harsh... forgive me. ive had a really rough semester hahaha. ^ )___( ^ hopefully we'll all have great jobs and live designer lifestyles! ...we can dream!

hotcocoa

HSC
Why must we dream when I'm sure we have the capabilities to make it into reality? ;p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)