Beating the James Ruseans (1 Viewer)

ViRtUaL

1/cosC GSXR1000
HSC
Bookie said:
Kaivan, as much as you think we'll make top 5, we've got no fucking chance.

Beating North Sydney though, thats a prospect.
as if man. i accept ruse, nsghs, baulko and grammar will beat us, but then we can still come fifth if we can just beat sydney girls and north sydney boys.

lol i like the avatar by the way. who designed it?

ViRtUaL

1/cosC GSXR1000
HSC
all we need to do is stop taking in sports-only imports. sure, some of the guys like barker are good at sports and do well academically, but alot of them are nothing but sports. jaggar's seriously kidding himself if he reckons that everyone taken into the school is based primarily on academics. i mean i know high has a strong sporting tradition and needs to remain competitive in the gps, but it really shouldnt jeopardise the hsc results of the other students whose parents send their kids to the school because of its academic credentials. in the half yearly academic merit list, out of the 30 or so new guys only 5 made the merit list whereas out of the whole grade of 210 or so about 70 made the merit list. 1 in 3 out of the whole grade but only 1 in 6 from the new guys. those stats stand for themselves.

Bookie

Banned
HSC
Baulko?

Since when were Baulkham Hills good?

Can we beat Sydney Girls? I know we'll Xtreme North Sydney, no problems there.

Oh and on sports imports - they're just on the educational assistance scheme. Nothing to do with sports. Yes, its ironic a boy who came from Turkey just a year ago with amazing soccer skills mae our school and admits he is underperforming on his subjects, but they do want to learn [well, at least Bourak does].

Then there are the good for nothing imports. Aren't that good at sport and aren't that good at sport. At least they try, you might say.

I don't know, I'm just ranting, but I think 5th will require a lot of effort.

Oh, and I designed the XtremeXI logo in January :D

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Bookie said:
Baulko?
Since when were Baulkham Hills good?
Baulkham Hills was always good and are consistently in the top 10.

Bloody hell, you guys are so optimistic about your school. In my opinion, the best you guys can do is make it into the top 10. Top 5 for SBHS seems a small chance. I have a friend who escaped from our school to yours and is currently ranked in the top20/top30 for 2U English at your school. Unless he has miraculously and dramatically (emphasis on dramatically since he hated English) improved, your school is still doing pretty bad in English since he was like average in English at our school.

Either way, I've got no faith in my school's Class of 2006. We are like the worst year in English, but I still have hope that we could be the best year in Maths Extension and maybe Science at school. That's practically the only thing we are relying on if we are to boost our shocking school ranks, although History Extension isn't too far behind Maths. Why are we so crap? Well, shitloads of smart people left our school to go to higher ranked schools!

Bookie

Banned
HSC
trebla said:
Bloody hell, you guys are so optimistic about your school. In my opinion, the best you guys can do is make it into the top 10. Top 5 for SBHS seems a small chance. I have a friend who escaped from our school to yours and is currently ranked in the top20/top30 for 2U English at your school. Unless he has miraculously and dramatically (emphasis on dramatically since he hated English) improved, your school is still doing pretty bad in English since he was like average in English at our school.
Read my posts buddy, I'm saying that its impossible for us to make the Top 5, let alone the top 10. And whos this "friend", or are you just making up shit?

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Bookie said:
And whos this "friend"
Do you know who Mi Zhou is? He came from my school to your school.

heybraham

HSC
top10 performance will be brought by
1. english revolution
2. maths acceleration

top5 requires hardwork. we've got the talent but not the form:
3. initiation of student forum (this will be absolutely crucial)
4. a complete overhaul of culture before the end of this year (eg. too many gamers, too many immature guys...its not their fault). the top guys, the 'nerds', of our grade aren't good enough to carry us into the top 5, we need a cultural revolution, which is highly unlikely; a revolution requires revolutionaries. there is no one to lead, but hopefully the student forum will get the ball rolling before its too late.

that's my 2 cents worth....of pure speculation.

ps. i think the emphasis of leadership/sport/extra-curricular activities has deluded us from the fact the HSC is still the primary measure of 'performance'. it's not whether the opportunities are there or not (i prefer them to stay), it's just this awards scheme bullshit makes everyone think getting some medal for doing the weekly recycling is an achievement worthy as a placebo of a good uai.

Last edited:

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
Trebla said:
I have a friend who escaped from our school to yours and is currently ranked in the top20/top30 for 2U English at your school. Unless he has miraculously and dramatically (emphasis on dramatically since he hated English) improved, your school is still doing pretty bad in English since he was like average in English at our school.
My English rank went from >150 in prelim to 30-40 for HSC, just like that. I still hate HSC English.

Seriously, HSC and UAI are not everything, or even anywhere near everything. I'd rather prefer having less people getting 99+ UAIs than creating an entire grade of people who do nothing but study. This is even shown by the fact that uni scholarships (at least from USyd) shortlist people based on extracurricular merits before the UAI comes out.

High is not only a selective school, but also a GPS school. Parents should not send boys there just so that they could get that UAI, but to get an all rounded education in life, and to take every activity and opportunity the school offers. While it's good to lift the academic standards, it should not be done at the expense of limiting extracurricular activities. Students should be encouraged to participate in every aspect of school life.

The culture that needs to change, in my opinion, is people's belief that the UAI is the be all or end all. It's not. While a high UAI is good, there are much more that contribute to a person's character than that.

While I could have got a better UAI, I do take pride in the fact that I took part in a wide range of activities offered by the school. Even taking the fact that UAI is widely viewed as the ticket into uni, the lower UAI has not disadvantaged me in any way and I am doing the course at uni that I want, even if I did get a higher UAI.

To cap it off, I'm not saying that people should not aim for that 99+ UAI. It is good to aim for such things. But it is not the only thing in life, and you should not sacrifice everything in life to achieve that. People need to understand that in five (or even less) years time after you graduate, your UAI means very little. But the other activities that you participated in helped to build your character, and that will be with you forever.

shafqat

HSC
N/A
That's true, but plenty of other schools have extracurricular activities too, GPS doesn't really mean anything special. High's performance has dropped off in recent years (grammar too), and the new principal's focus on sport isnt promising.

danza108

HSC
shafqat said:
That's true, but plenty of other schools have extracurricular activities too, GPS doesn't really mean anything special. High's performance has dropped off in recent years (grammar too), and the new principal's focus on sport isnt promising.
Typical Typical Grammar. High may do badly at sport, but accepts that, unlike Grammar who kick people in the face from behind when they are sitting down. High has been improving greatly in sport, had it not been for that Grammar parent kicking a high boy in the face, High would've had another win. As a wise man said last night at the rugby dinner. "Well we won that, their guys are hurt, they have 2 guys banned, noone in our school is in trouble"

Grammar places no emphasis on sport eh? Really now? thats like saying the sky isn't blue. Your BBall Coach is just somehow the assistant coach with the Sydney Kings too eh? no coincidence? Oh By the Way Grammar, the Lowly High School beat Grammar in Term 4 Competition Basketball in 04. And exactly how much does the great Sydney Grammar School pay to get beaten by the measly public school High? From last accounts, 17k and rising for every Grammar boy. So lets say Grammar has 200 in each grade, even 150. thats 150 x 17 000 = ? more than High has, yet who came 4th and head of the river? and who came 6th. You did 4u maths, maybe you can add it up for us all.

I totally agree with every singlet thing Templarsaid. High produces well rounded individuals. (fullstop).

Trebla, was it James Kang? guys like that just study for english, get their english tutors to write their essays and they reproduce them word for word. What can makers do, they have met the requirements, whether they understand it, is debatable. Those truely good at english are ones who can work off points and work their arguements around set questions, not just reproduce other's work. It gives a false indication of who are "good" at english.

Last edited:

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
danza108 said:
Trebla, was it James Kang?
No, I already mentioned his name earlier in the thread. He's in Year 11 going onto Year 12 now.
Trebla said:
Do you know who Mi Zhou is? He came from my school to your school.

Bookie

Banned
HSC
danza108 said:
Typical Typical Grammar. High may do badly at sport, but accepts that, unlike Grammar who kick people in the face from behind when they are sitting down. High has been improving greatly in sport, had it not been for that Grammar parent kicking a high boy in the face, High would've had another win. As a wise man said last night at the rugby dinner. "Well we won that, their guys are hurt, they have 2 guys banned, noone in our school is in trouble"

Grammar places no emphasis on sport eh? Really now? thats like saying the sky isn't blue. Your BBall Coach is just somehow the assistant coach with the Sydney Kings too eh? no coincidence? And exactly how much does the great Sydney Grammar School pay to get beaten by the measly public school High? From last accounts, 17k and rising for every Grammar boy. So lets say Grammar has 200 in each grade, even 150. thats 150 x 17 000 = ? more than High has, yet who came 4th and head of the river? and who came 6th. You did 4u maths, maybe you can add it up for us all.

I totally agree with every singlet thing Templarsaid. High produces well rounded individuals. (fullstop).

Trebla, was it James Kang? guys like that just study for english, get their english tutors to write their essays and they reproduce them word for word. What can makers do, they have met the requirements, whether they understand it, is debatable. Those truely good at english are ones who can work off points and work their arguements around set questions, not just reproduce other's work. It gives a false indication of who are "good" at english.
Good post man. Who are you?

Trebla said:
No, I already mentioned his name earlier in the thread. He's in Year 11 going onto Year 12 now.
Mi Zhou? Hmmm. I know theres a new guy called Yi Zhou, buy maybe he's Mi Zhou. Chelsea fan by any chance?

shafqat

HSC
N/A
I never said grammar doesnt focus on sport, I think it focuses too much on the elite. I couldnt really give a toss who wins the gps rugby or whatever. Our new principal is trying to get the focus back on academics, but I think there's resistance from the old boys quarter, similar to highs situation. Anyway I hope Highs results do get better, because my brother goes there.

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
Trebla said:
Baulkham Hills was always good and are consistently in the top 10.

Either way, I've got no faith in my school's Class of 2006. We are like the worst year in English, but I still have hope that we could be the best year in Maths Extension and maybe Science at school. That's practically the only thing we are relying on if we are to boost our shocking school ranks, although History Extension isn't too far behind Maths. Why are we so crap? Well, shitloads of smart people left our school to go to higher ranked schools!
sefton will never go well. Look at the demographics and socio economic status of its location.

P

pLuvia

its funny though all the ex - selective people who come to my school have all become full dumb shits very ironic~

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
sikeveo said:
sefton will never go well. Look at the demographics and socio economic status of its location.
What about James Ruse? I mean the "socio economic status of its location" is nowhere near as high as the city of Sydney, yet they manage to top the state for nine years in a row. Also, when Jaggar was in control of our school, Sefton did go well and was usually in the top 20. Once he left, he took our good students with him.

Well for my school, just about everyone (besides the community people) comes from the Fairfield/Cabramatta region. I've noticed a lack of curry people in our grade because the school is bombarded by SE asian people who are pumped out of that region. Our grade mainly consists of lebs, asians and 'aussies'. (Actually come to think of it I don't think we have any more than 5 curry people in our grade)
Anyway, we could have been at least in the top 30 if we were a fully selective school and not a semi-selective school. The only reason we're so crap is because of our english. We were never taught the norms of writing and analysing text types properly and analysing with language techniques because they assumed we knew them since Year 7. Pff...As if we did! All we did during our junior years in English was either closely study a text or study a theme/concept periodically.
On the other hand, we're alright for a selective school in Maths (DA in Maths is usually similar to that of Fort Street) and we managed the top 30 in Maths last year. That's pretty good for a semi-selective school and good compared to our overall rank. Compare the pair:
In English, it is pretty much a bludge. Hardly any homework is given out. There are hardly any exams other than assessment tasks and we are not encouraged to study because according to the teachers, English cannot be studied until senior years. Even if we actually do an exam, we don't go through it at all after we get it back. There's only comments which always say good work and the mistakes we make are hardly corrected and gone through as a class.
In Maths, we're constantly working. Textbook exercises are always there to be completed. We are constantly writing notes and having topic tests every fortnight or so in addition to assessment tasks and they always tell us to study hard for everything. (Merit awards for top 3 lol) After every topic test or any other test, we take time to go through it and correct our mistakes and we LEARN FROM THEM.
Sefton is crap for a selective school, I know that. Sefton is only good for a top semi-selective school.

Either way, if my school doesn't do well, at least I know that I can do well.

I reckon that James Ruse, North Sydney Girls, North Sydney Boys, Sydney Girls and Hornsby Girls will revolve around the top 5, with Sydney Grammar and Baulkham Hills not too far behind. I think Sydney Boys may hover around the low teens and occasionally enter the top 10, with Fort Street and Sydney Technical hovering around the top 20. If you think not, then prove me wrong...

ViRtUaL

1/cosC GSXR1000
HSC
Trebla said:
I reckon that James Ruse, North Sydney Girls, North Sydney Boys, Sydney Girls and Hornsby Girls will revolve around the top 5, with Sydney Grammar and Baulkham Hills not too far behind. I think Sydney Boys may hover around the low teens and occasionally enter the top 10, with Fort Street and Sydney Technical hovering around the top 20. If you think not, then prove me wrong...
Low teens?? Top 10 easily for SBHS class of 06. u seriously have no idea how good we are compared to previous years man, all the teachers are saying it, the deputy principal and principal are saying it, etc. We beat the year 10s overall when we were in yr 9 in the westpac maths comp thingo. And as for Mi Zhou (the guy with the goatie around his adams apple), yeah he did quite well in all of his subjects and i think he came like top 30 overall in the half yearly, but he was by far the best performing new guy in our grade and 1 of lyk only 2 or 3 new guys taken in purely based on their academic talents - mi, ashley (LOL), and i think george zhang. educational scheme my ass. And where did Hornsby girls come from? High's been beating them for ages.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)