• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Beating the James Ruseans (1 Viewer)

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
Rofl .. im his friend.. not raph :p
and im not stoned often enuf to be aneek

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
+Po1ntDeXt3r+ said:
ok ill tell im alvin :p
I know the name but i dont know who you are exactly ;)

But yeah, well what do you expect me to say when you say the person "least likely" to do med eh?

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
tru.. but then .. i think i meant ppl with scores over 90 :p

hehe muahaha its ok.. pfft.. ruse seems so long ago.. damn..

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
+Po1ntDeXt3r+ said:
tru.. but then .. i think i meant ppl with scores over 90 :p

hehe muahaha its ok.. pfft.. ruse seems so long ago.. damn..
ah ic, not 90 divided by 2.

gotcha :p

thewhitecomet

HSC
I think my Grade might be able to match Ruse in 06. we're supposed to be the smartest grade for 8 years at Sydney High and we're owning the yr12s in the combined subjects. Just last year, Ruse accepted a whole band of morons from my grade. i remember all the way up to 2000, my school was 3rd. then the new principal came in and we've been slipping. 2006 has to be the year.

mirun100

HSC
How can u say those guys who went were morons. Alan was dux of our school you idiot. Btw I just saw yuwun on the forum.

A l

HSC
N/A
thewhitecomet said:
I think my Grade might be able to match Ruse in 06. we're supposed to be the smartest grade for 8 years at Sydney High and we're owning the yr12s in the combined subjects. Just last year, Ruse accepted a whole band of morons from my grade. i remember all the way up to 2000, my school was 3rd. then the new principal came in and we've been slipping. 2006 has to be the year.
Dream on!
Your school stole our principal!!! He made your school's rank slip from the top 5 when he came into your school, while he made our school's rank slip from the top 20 when he left our school. We both would have been better off if both our old princpals stayed where they were.
James Ruse Agricultural High School probably won't be beaten for a while I think. I think the school that the held the top spot before James Ruse Agricultural High School was Sydney Grammar School. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong)
The general trend for James Ruse Agricultural High School is that the number of Distinguished Achievers and All Rounders increase every year and their target is to beat that number in the next year. I reckon by 2006, the percentage of distinguished achievers may rise up to 75%-80%.

PS: say hi to Mi Zhou and George Zhang for me!

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
We were in year 6 when we applied for High. When High was ranked 3rd. Hopefully we will move back inside the top 10 this year.

thewhitecomet said:

Yes gg. :rolleyes:

thewhitecomet

HSC
yeah jaggar's been up to something. but c'mon 06 has to be the year! yuwun? what's up with that guy? seriously mirun, that guy's not exactly brainy. last year i beat him in every single comp, yearly and half yearly. i still can't believe ruse accepted him. Top 10? is that what you're hoping for? wen our grade made it, we freakin used to be 3rd! and if our class of 06 isn't in the top 5 i'd be major pissed. i think our school should just expel the deadbeats. stop dragging us down matthew cousins.

PS. Bob Dowdell is a bastard

Last edited:

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
thewhitecomet said:
then the new principal came in and we've been slipping.
It's not exactly Jaggar's fault that the ranks slipped. The introduction of the new HSC in 2001 was a major factor, in that most of the teachers didn't know how to get the students to write band 6 answers. Only now has it been somewhat fixed. Plus the English department is shocking, but I heard that the teacher that replaced Selway is very good.

A l said:
We both would have been better off if both our old princpals stayed where they were.
Not really. Stratford had to go.

Meldrum

Banned
HSC
Most Ruseans have reverted to effectively ignoring Adv English by doing X1 and X2.

By doing 12 units you can make X1 and X2 count as your compulsory English units which proves a hell of a lot easier than 2 sepparate papers.

thewhitecomet

HSC
i heard that only 85 ppl from Ruse each year can do 4 U maths, i find that ridiculous. Ruse is maths central and only 85? i bet at least 150 people there are capable of the subject.. even my school offers 100-120 or so places.

Meldrum

Banned
HSC
Wow. My post was completly unrelated to Maths.

But my school only offers 4 places. That way we have ultra good X1 and Maths classes.

danza108

HSC
High offers 120 places for X2 maths, but that is ridicious. There is a misperception that since u go to High, u have to do X2. there are more doing X2 than doing 2u or 3u combined, thats just stupid. it should be cut at about 60-75, coz the guys doing X2 who are at the bottom, wont do well and this will affect the whole cohort. Last yr a guy came 70odd and got a makr of 69 for x2, thats just stupid. and what is all of this that 2006 will be the year? How the hell can u judge a grade? There are 200 of you, how can you all bring it up? Its always the same, the average uai's will remain at the same mark, maybe a change +/- 2 points at most.

But how do you judge that ur grade is better? SC results? thats no reliable at all, hands up those who studied for the SC? they sau my grade 05 is one of the best to come thru high, but i dont believe it. We were a very sporting year, 4th at hotr, 2nd in tennis n all, and acedemic we are meant to be the best for some time. bigelow, the ht teacher of maths, said the maths cohort this yr is the "one of the best at High in 20 yrs", thats a huge call to make, i was talkin to jaggar during my interview he hopes "for 75-90 over 96, making an average uai of 95". A lot fo this is all purely talk, you can only judge a grade by the hsc results, and anyway each grade will have their freaks (ie in ur one Vinh Pham) and you will have ur drop kicks who do not want to do any work, ist all the same.

As for the accerlated cohorts, the mod yr 11 one is really good, and they will do well, but i dont think ur maths one is that great, i do 4u, but i hear the 2u aint that great, they shouldnt be accerelated 4 classes, should ahve kept it at 2, like we did last yr. You guys will get guys who wont try who are in the B and 2 classes and bring down the yr 12 2u group. Anyway thats my two cents, i just hate ppl who keep on telling me "our grade is better than others... ohh we will do so well.. we are smarter" blah blah blah.. judge by the hsc... not before it.

Last edited:

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
You have to consider the fact that people should be allowed to do what they want to do, not doing what the school believes would be in its best interest ie gaining the highest average possible. While I agree that people doing MX2 only because they think scaling will pull them up should be dropped, those who truly want to do the subject should be allowed to. I understand that not everyone is suited to do the subject, but they should be given the freedom to do what they want rather than what the school dictates so that it can gain the highest average possible.

Bigelow is an idiot. Last year he declared that Ivan Guo was undoubtedly the best maths person in high school in Australia, he was without any competition in olympiads, and that his only problem is with easy exams and making silly mistakes. While I do not doubt the ability and relative position of Ivan, he is certainly not in a class of his own, Laurie Field managed to push him most of the way. Whilst looking at the HSC results it might seem disappointing to see him coming only 6th, the fact that his internal rank was equal first is what brought him down, despite him clearly having a lead over Philip Yang, in terms of raw marks. It is the school's fault that both of them got the same internal rank and as a result Ivan failed to show his true potential in that even if he did top the external exam he would not have come first in state unless Philip also came first or second.

The acceleration of 2u maths in my opinion is quite useless. Assuming that most of the accelerants will do MX2 the 2u mark will do nothing except increase the number of band 6 the school receives. It would be far wiser to spend the entire two years teaching the top end MX2 and making sure that everyone gets a good mark instead, which will do far greater good to the average UAI than accelerating anyone in 2u.

The predominant problem with High is its English department. The performance of the school in English is somewhat shocking, considering that only about top 30 get band 6 in 2u English. That needs to be improved. There is no quick fix, and the problem would require some time to be resolved.

I must stress that the above are just my personal opinions. I understand that there will be some of you that won't agree with me on these issues, and I have no intention to put forward a view that everyone agrees on.

thewhitecomet

HSC
yeah i agree. i really think people should be able to do whatever they want, i think there's plenty of guys in the lower 5 maths classes who can cope with 4U but they can't do it. and what if they just flunked their half yearly and got stuck in there? i feel sorry for a couple of them who really wanna do well. anyways, i have bigelow he's a great teacher! i admit he's prone to boasting about his students etc but i don't think he's one for lying and the maths department is probably the most able one in the school. science has like 6-7 teachers, english is a mess and i can't really speak for the rest. there's teachers in High who should really have been sacked decades ago.

btw, what'd u guys get in ur UAIs?

Last edited:

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
In addition, what about those people who fluked their way into the top class? Without mentioning specific names, one person got into the top class for prelim simply because he was conveniently sick when the half yearly, yearly and class placement exams were on, and was given an estimate far higher than his ability warranted. And due to reluctancy to change people between classes he managed to stay there for the HSC.

I don't know whether Bigelow is a good teacher, it just seems he's very up himself and respected nobody (except Ivan). I assume he's now going on about how Vinh is going to be the next Ivan, and then Anthony Morris when he leaves. The comment from Bigelow about Ivan being peerless was really naive for those who know it, there were plenty of capable people in NSW. The maths department is definitely able, bar Nesbitt, who really isn't qualified to teach any prelim/HSC maths. Personally I prefer Choy, he might be strict but it was the only way that got me to do any work. The science department does have a few teachers that are not so good, but there are also plenty of top notch teachers like Kay and Coan.

thewhitecomet said:
btw, what'd u guys get in ur UAIs?
As for the UAI of class of 2004, all I know is that Philip Yang and Clem Lau both got 99.95 and Ivan on 99.80. That's about it, I never really paid much attention to UAI. Apparently it was a big let down compared to 2003. I personally don't view the UAI as some measure of intelligence or academic ability, rather as how many band 6 you get, which in English and sciences is how well you bs to the markers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)