Beazley's visa values plan (1 Viewer)

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
ALP struggles to get a grip on values debate

[...]But the most telling comment [in caucus] came from former immigration minister Robert Ray, a Labor right-winger who rarely speaks in the partyroom.

Ray indicated that the proposal to make all visitors answer a pledge was a dud and asked if it was going to be dropped "this week or next?"

It was this week.

Beazley yesterday dropped the plan for all visitors to sign on to Australian values. The Opposition Leader now wants intending permanent residents to "understand" our values before they come.

*Minka*

HSC
lengy said:
Do you speak English? Do you hold 'Australian' values? Then you don't have anything to worry about.
Yes, but I didn't speak a word of English when I first came to Australia. I spoke a few others, but not English and it seems now that people wouldn't have wanted me here knowing that.

HSC
I think something similar to the citizenship pledge mentioned by Generator would be a better idea than making immigrants subscribe to 'Australian vaues' (whatever they are).
The issue of enforceability also arises - how is the government going to ensure that immigrants abide by such a pledge?

Bloody sick of Beazley....to be ironic - It's Time...

L

littlewing69

It's depressing to watch both sides squabble over the redneck vote.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)