• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Becoming a paramedic? (2 Viewers)

Ribbon

My sister has been accepeted into the ambulance service. Apparently they get thousands of applicants for only 20 or 30 places. She has a medical science degree from the university of sydney which probably helped in getting selected but there are no prerequisites to the job except after you have accepted you have to have obtained your heavy rigid vehicle license before training starts. Starting salary for a trainee is something like $37000 a year.

Mack I cannot think of any reputable site that would have pictures of the kindof things you would face. Bascially, as bad as you can imagine it, you will see it. Check out www.rotten.com and look at the pictures of the train wrecks ect. if you need to know if you can hack it. I know a mechanic who worked in the ambulance who told me they sometimes had to take the back of the ambulences apart to clean all the blood out from under everything...

inasero

Reborn
HSC
i know monash uni has a bachelor of paramedic studies, one of the few unis in australia to offer it...

but yeah these days people are getting more and mroe qualified so you're better off betting a degree

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
heavy rig licence?!
are you sure?
would that be 18wheelers?!
geez some of them have like 11gears

Alex_H86

CEO of BoS...
HSC
Even if you are stationed at a small country town, you will still see horrific things,, actually it's probably worse, because there is a large chance that you will see someone you know, or family, etc. I have been thinking about this occupation too, but it would be very demanding, and I dunno if I could handle it.

mack

Banned
HSC
I agree with that. Because they still have cars and weapons, etc in country towns, and wherever there are cars, there are going to be car accidents, wherever there are weapons, there are going to be murders, assaults, etc. Doesnt matter where you are at all really.

Ribbon

redslert said:
heavy rig licence?!
are you sure?
would that be 18wheelers?!
geez some of them have like 11gears
sorry my mistake it is light rigid vehicle license - I'm pretty sure thats the right one - its the one that lets you drive full sized buses...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)