• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Becoming a partner (1 Viewer)

L

LaraB

seremify007 said:
I heard minority groups have better odds of being made partner for obvious reasons :p ... alot of firms have details on their newest appointed partners on their websites so maybe go check that out :)
Well... what industry are you referring to? and which minority group/s are you talking about? Because that's just bs in a huge number of areas and with regards to a large number of minority groups Eg - in certain industries you would never find an openly homosexual person as a partner, women are absent from upper levels in many industries despite making up the majority of the labour force in those areas, there are next to no indigenous persons who are partners in firms not specifically geared towards providing services for indigenous people etc..

And just because minorities are up there doesn't mean it didn't take them longer to get there on average... in addition, a lot of firms that have so called "high minority proporitions" in upper levels of the business have a far greater number of those individuals in the business to start with.. so i mean, if they have 1 asian guy, 1 indian girl, 1 muslim older woman and 1 WASP as partners - it doens't mean that minorties are more sought after, especially if the firm is made up of 1 asian guy, 1 muslim older woman, 1 WASP and 2987 Indian girls becuase the proportion at the top is outa whack with the total composition of their employee base.

You can't just say that minority groups have better chances of making partner simply because firms have info about 'minority staff' all over their websites and publications - of course they're going to make themselves appear as 'demographically correct' as possible.

There is a big difference between marketing campaigns that position a company as an 'employer of choice' and actually implementing true diversity management and selection etc in practice.

Have a read of some of the online info or publications of EOWA, DIMIA, Office of the Dir. or EO in Public sector Employment, ABS, or even website of non-finance industries... publications of these bodies directly contradict any claims that minorities have 'better odds' of making partner...

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
LaraB said:
Well... what industry are you referring to? and which minority group/s are you talking about? Because that's just bs in a huge number of areas and with regards to a large number of minority groups Eg - in certain industries you would never find an openly homosexual person as a partner, women are absent from upper levels in many industries despite making up the majority of the labour force in those areas, there are next to no indigenous persons who are partners in firms not specifically geared towards providing services for indigenous people etc..
You got really worked up over that didn't you?

Yes the reality is that minority groups are under represented in higher level positions- but then as a firm, if say 10% of people are <insert designation of choice>, why should the firm go out and make sure they have 50% of people, or even a more fair 10% of their people being <insert same designation>.

What I'm saying is, because of the past where minority groups have been under represented, firms and companies are also on the lookout to promote them- but naturally, one can never really know if what they say is going to eventuate into anything.

The line I used was referring to a joke that because of their under representation, minority groups, even if they aren't equal in ability to those in the majority, may be promoted purely for advertising/marketing/equal employment sake and hence have a better chance. It wasn't intended to be taken too seriously.

EDIT: Forgot to mention I'm generally talking about Accounting as that is my industry, and this is the Commerce/Business board.

L

LaraB

seremify007 said:
You got really worked up over that didn't you?

Yes the reality is that minority groups are under represented in higher level positions- but then as a firm, if say 10% of people are <insert designation of choice>, why should the firm go out and make sure they have 50% of people, or even a more fair 10% of their people being <insert same designation>.

What I'm saying is, because of the past where minority groups have been under represented, firms and companies are also on the lookout to promote them- but naturally, one can never really know if what they say is going to eventuate into anything.

The line I used was referring to a joke that because of their under representation, minority groups, even if they aren't equal in ability to those in the majority, may be promoted purely for advertising/marketing/equal employment sake and hence have a better chance. It wasn't intended to be taken too seriously.

EDIT: Forgot to mention I'm generally talking about Accounting as that is my industry, and this is the Commerce/Business board.
Which is why i asked what industry etc you were referring to as this is not correct in a general sense so what i said is true.

Just because i said a statement you made was bs doesn't mean i'm getting 'worked up' over it. It is of no consequence to me or anyone else what your opinino is on the matter because stats and real egs show otherwise so its pretty meaningless.

If you didn't intend it to be taken seriously you should've indicated that because what you said didn't seem like a 'joke' at all because it wasn't exactly funny... it just sounded like a statement of opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I'm pretty sure the ":p" made it obvious but then I guess anything on the net can be misinterpretted.

Btw by 'worked up' I was referring to your very lengthy post in comparison my short post. And I'm not stupid enough (nor despo enough to prove a point) to refer to my current and past firms I have worked at.

L

LaraB

seremify007 said:
I'm pretty sure the ":p" made it obvious but then I guess anything on the net can be misinterpretted.

Btw by 'worked up' I was referring to your very lengthy post in comparison my short post. And I'm not stupid enough (nor despo enough to prove a point) to refer to my current and past firms I have worked at.
Sorry.. didn't realise length equates to emotion... :confused:

You current and past firms - out of interest, what might they be? and what positions did you hold? You only finished HSC last year so you can't have had THAT substantive of an employment history in any 'meaningful' position...

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
It's not that length equates to emotion, but just my short post was meant to be indicative of a 'passing comment' rather than any meaningful or serious debate. Anyhow, I don't know enough on the topic to discuss it any further whereas I think you've done quite a bit of research into the subject, possibly fuelled by personal interest I'd say? Anything which I think, I think because of what I've seen with my own eyes, and what I've read- but who's to say that what I read, wasn't just a bunch of BS?

Btw, I would rather not disclose where I have worked in the past, but I'll be joining PwC this year. You are correct in assuming they weren't meaningful positions, but enough to get a good feel for the respective firms.

L

LaraB

seremify007 said:
It's not that length equates to emotion, but just my short post was meant to be indicative of a 'passing comment' rather than any meaningful or serious debate. Anyhow, I don't know enough on the topic to discuss it any further whereas I think you've done quite a bit of research into the subject, possibly fuelled by personal interest I'd say? Anything which I think, I think because of what I've seen with my own eyes, and what I've read- but who's to say that what I read, wasn't just a bunch of BS?

Btw, I would rather not disclose where I have worked in the past, but I'll be joining PwC this year. You are correct in assuming they weren't meaningful positions, but enough to get a good feel for the respective firms.

No i haven't done 'personal interest based' research - this kinda crap is what i do at uni for my non-law degree... i have little personal interest in it atm because this kinda crap will effect my career but that's not gonna be for at least another 5 years by the time i graduate and do my PLT etc...

Are you at PWC in their accounting/commerce internship/scheme?.. just guessing you probably are since that's where countless Baulko people go...? seems like a majority of those doing anything finance/eco related from baulko head straight to there or E&Y.... at least in my year and year prior...

EDIT: lol and ps re your earlier post "i am talking about accounting and this is the commerce/business board" - well that's why i asked what industry you are talking about. Simply becaus eit's the commerce/business area doesn't equate to finance aspects of business:p i mean.. business includes virtually every company that exists since HRM, IR, marketing etc are all "business" areas:)

Last edited by a moderator:

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Fine fine fine :p I know it could've applied to anything; but in the current climate of this board talking about Big4 and IB alot, it is very focussed on Accounting/Investment Banking- especially when the subject matter was "partner"- and yes I'm aware there are partners in other industries too!

I'm on the cadetship scheme (ie. full time employment)- similar program to Shirman (KPMG) and Nancy (EY) from your grade. Surprisingly my grade had 9 or so people receiving offer(s)-, but only 5 accepted.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)