• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Beergirl's Round 1 Wrap Up (NRL) (1 Viewer)

Suney_J

Not a member
HSC
but at least its good 2 see for the knight that they're not always relying on johns this year, well from what ive seen in the opening match

Pace Setter

Well a significant portion of the side are origin and national reps, and really, we havent been as reliant on Johns in the last year than people have made us out to be. We played OK at the end of the year without him.

The argument for the knights wanting to be like the Roosters is correct, though only in defence, just like every other team since the establishment of the on-rushing defence. However, the general style of game that we play is certainly not an attempt to copy the Roosters, as with the attacking flair of the team which is easily of the highest quality.

Theres a reason why the Knights supporters base is so large and passionate. If we started playing a boringish, Rooster's-style defensive game, we would probably bore and eventually lose a lot of the current fans.

copious

Linbo rox my sox
HSC
you want attacking and unpredictable flair, up the warriors!

beergirl

polka dots are cool
HSC
Originally posted by Loz#1
Nice argument but Andrew Johns admitted it himself in his Sunday Telegraph column. You lose.
It's like all my worst nightmares come true... lol

you see... in my experience.. there has always been this rivarly... I'm like the bitch who sits in the middle of the roosters supporters geeing them up lol... ohh they get fiesty, those supporters... oh the funnies... It's not like I'm even geeing them up either lol... Like i would go sit in the middle of any other teams supporters and we would all get along.. but those roosters supporters... geez! Lol

Blah to the article lol... it's not happening, it's not happening *sits and corner and rocks back and forth* lol... Honestly i dont think its possible to be exactly like the roosters.. no two teams can play alike... no two players play the same way... and also... how many players aspire to play like andrew johns and actually gladly admit that... The point is, there will always be new ways to approach the game as it is getting faster and players are getting fitter, the only way you can build on this is to develop on something/someone elses approach...

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
Originally posted by Pace Setter
Well a significant portion of the side are origin and national reps, and really, we havent been as reliant on Johns in the last year than people have made us out to be. We played OK at the end of the year without him.

The argument for the knights wanting to be like the Roosters is correct, though only in defence, just like every other team since the establishment of the on-rushing defence. However, the general style of game that we play is certainly not an attempt to copy the Roosters, as with the attacking flair of the team which is easily of the highest quality.

Theres a reason why the Knights supporters base is so large and passionate. If we started playing a boringish, Rooster's-style defensive game, we would probably bore and eventually lose a lot of the current fans.

with all that attacking flair, they still somehow end up scoring less tries and pts than the boring roosters last season

Pace Setter

Thats because
1. The Roosters played in the final and therefore had more games
2. When you've got poor defence the opposition have more opportunities to score, better chance of putting on pressure/momentum, and therefore, gaining more possession of the ball, thus limiting attacking opportunities in the first place.
3. Poor stamina also leads to 2.
4. I'd say( correct me if im wrong) that the majority of the Rooster's tries last year were against teams that they had already hammered defensively early in the game, thus tiring them out and creating weaker/easier lines to attack. I will reiterate that the reason for the Rooster's success in the last couple of years has been their ability to run down teams that they have tired through the employment of the on-rushing defence, a format of play unseen and one that would probably have been disallowed in previous years.

The Knights, on the other hand, scored the majority of their tries early on when the other team was still fresh, primarily through their attacking prowess, and unlike the Roosters, tired quite quickly late in the game. As I've said before, the first round match showed that this years Knights probably has better stamina and defence, and I will say again that this year we've probably got a better chance of winning the premiership than the last time we won it-2001, as long as we dont lose the attacking prowess of recent years.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)