Beggars (1 Viewer)

Kittikhun

HSC
Out of curiosity, do you guys give money to people who ask you on the street? I have given away probably $50 since I have been going to Sydney (espeically down George St and at Redfern) this year to people who I believe are genuinely destitute however two days ago this scrawny middle aged poorly dressed and poor sanitized man asked me for some change at Minto station to go to Granville since he was bankrupt. I gave him $3 thinking that that this would suffice and saw him going to the line up behind a pretty long queue for his ticket. My train, whose route to the city was via the East Hills line (which isn't the line to go to Granville), then arrived 30 seconds later and I got on only to find him hop on into the same carriage as mine with his eyes averting mine in shame and a wallet in his hand! He went upstairs hastily and sat in the furthest seat away from me with his back to me. He then gave me a quick sly peep before averting his eyes away from mine when I stared at him back in disbelief and indignation. I didn't do anything to him though guessing that he must have been pretty desperate to commit such a dishonest and immoral act and he was in a pretty poor state and had an air of being ostracised by society or being a recluse (he sat on the end closest to the aisle whilst the other end closest to the window was free). Then I started to think and wonder about my actions and whether they were right or wrong. In the end I was neutral with this thought but I still just felt cheated and an ass for wasting that money since it wasn't mine but my parents.

So how do you know if someone begging for money is genuinely homeless and destitute? And if they are to the contrary to this and nothing but avaricious, dishonest, impassive and exploitative liars and cheats how do you say 'no' whilst also being polite? I've heard stories where some certain beggars will follow you if you say no and will only get off your back when you-
1). start hinting aggravation
2). tell them to go away in an offensive and coarse way
3). threaten to call the police
4). give them the stare and hint at using violence against them.

Thanks.

alex09hsc

HSC
Sounds like you got off easy.

When I was about 13 some druggo came up to me with a bike and told me to buy it for 100 dollars. I clearly stated I didn't have any money with me let alone 100 dollars, but he wouldn't give up. He wouldnt let go of me:(

philphie

Banned
HSC
i give them food coupons so they can't use it on alc or drugs, unless they trade the big mac...

i volunteer with night patrol so i know which ones ar ehe bad ones and which are the good ones. off duty the bad ones i never give them anything. when we're on duty we're specifically told not to give anyone money because this encourages begging and assault.

johony

HSC
i don't give money away directly, ever. OP are you from out of sydney?

johony

HSC
bleh fair enough, i find it strange when people refer to the city as 'sydney' even though it is technically correct

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)