Beginning the search for the next Vice-Chancellor (1 Viewer)

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
Received this today:

I am writing to you today to tell you that Professor Steven Schwartz has informed the University Council that he will be retiring as Vice-Chancellor at the end of next year after seven successful years in the role.

We are very sorry we have not been able to entice him to saddle up for another term, but after more than 15 years as a Vice-Chancellor at three universities here and in the UK it is not surprising that he and his family have other plans.

Professor Schwartz has had a brilliant career both as an academic and as a university administrator and will leave huge shoes to be filled.

During his leadership the University has grown enormously both in size and stature. We have recently been ranked 4th in Australia in terms of research at the highest level, almost a billion dollars has been invested in infrastructure designed to either improve student learning or promote research collaboration with industry and our curriculum has been redesigned to foster practical wisdom in our graduates.

The University will now conduct a world-wide search for a new Vice-Chancellor. We are looking for an inspirational leader, with strong management skills, who can continue to build Macquarie University as an ideal community of scholars, renowned around the world for the quality of its teaching and research.

We are expecting to have an impressive field of both internal and external candidates to choose from.

Michael Egan
Chancellor
Thoughts?

Atlas

HSC
N/A
Received this today:

Thoughts?
I wonder what the new Vice-Chancellor will write about in their blogs... and what the union on campus will use as their next target (all of those caricatures of Schwartz will no longer be relevant for their cause anymore)

Azure - what are your thoughts?

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
Hopefully the next dude will get rid of that absurd people/planet requirement.
I quite like the people planet requirements. I found them both to be nice breaks from my area of study and they're usually easy marks anyway (choose them wisely)

I wonder what the new Vice-Chancellor will write about in their blogs... and what the union on campus will use as their next target (all of those caricatures of Schwartz will no longer be relevant for their cause anymore)

Azure - what are your thoughts?
I'm not sure yet. Despite a lot of the hate, I think Schwartz has done a relatively good job in terms of moving the university forward. There are however areas where in my opinion he has also failed. What I'd like to see is more attention paid to the law school and to a lesser degree the parking situation (despite what they are saying it is not getting better). I'm hoping for somebody to be appointed externally. I think this is what we need at the moment, especially in dealing with the underfunding of the law school, but also in terms of bringing new ideas to the university.

andyfg88

HSC
N/A
I quite like the people planet requirements. I found them both to be nice breaks from my area of study and they're usually easy marks anyway (choose them wisely)

I'm not sure yet. Despite a lot of the hate, I think Schwartz has done a relatively good job in terms of moving the university forward. There are however areas where in my opinion he has also failed. What I'd like to see is more attention paid to the law school and to a lesser degree the parking situation (despite what they are saying it is not getting better). I'm hoping for somebody to be appointed externally. I think this is what we need at the moment, especially in dealing with the underfunding of the law school, but also in terms of bringing new ideas to the university.
Sorry I should have specified, they should allow General Credit Points to be delegated to People/Planet units. I got mine exempt after a long hard battle.

I totally agree about the law school thing though. Hopefully the next guy/girl recognises the importance of fixing it up.

Atlas

HSC
N/A
I fully agree with this. More funding of law school + resolve parking situation = happy dd24
Question about the parking - which carparks are you talking about and what times?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)