• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Beijing Olympics 2008 Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

stazi

Nightman
HSC
closing ceremony is pretty shit thus far. doubt it'll get called the best games ever, although technically, it may have been the best: huge budgets for everything

Zrap

glock9
HSC
You know what would be fuckin freaky,
if a bomb just went off in the birds nest, during the closing ceremony

karoooh

HSC
I don't remember the closing ceremony ever being great.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
haha awesome. We are still the best.

Cyan_phoeniX

HSC
N/A
'Exceptional games.' I guess they have to think of something quote-worthy each Olympics now, given what they started in Sydney :p

Does anyone else also find it unnecessary to sing the Greece Anthem at the end? I know it began in Greece and all, but they should stick to formal celebrations of the host country and the country-in-waiting.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Cyan_phoeniX said:
'Exceptional games.' I guess they have to think of something quote-worthy each Olympics now, given what they started in Sydney :p

Does anyone else also find it unnecessary to sing the Greece Anthem at the end? I know it began in Greece and all, but they should stick to formal celebrations of the host country and the country-in-waiting.
im quite sure they always come up with such a quote: sydney didnt start it

stazi

Nightman
HSC
hahahah does anyone else get the irony of the football and david beckham?

Great Britain isn't able to have a football team in the olympic games as they don't have an amateur soccer body (or something of that nature)

stazi

Nightman
HSC
oh wait: theyve confirmed that therell be a team in 2012 for the first time. my bad

goony

i am here to ride bike
HSC
whoa, father time hasn't been kind to jimmy page. Barely recognized him

karoooh

HSC
Agree about the flowers. These singers, though, are not.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
bored. bye thread. See you in 4 years.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
stazi said:
oh wait: theyve confirmed that therell be a team in 2012 for the first time. my bad

It will be a team hopefully made up of players from throughout the United Kingdom, namely England, Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales, but if the Scots, Welsh and Northern Irish don't want to join for fear of being asked to compete in other international competitions as a United Kingdom team, then the football team will only be England representing the entire UK.

atreus

HSC
the closing was pretty lame. except for the number of people, there was nothing else that spectacular and the singing was annoying. london could easily beat these games. their venues will be better (except for their main stadium, which does not look anywhere near as impressive as the birds nest) and they will definitely be freer games.

the quote thing was started by rogge in athens. he said that unlike samaranch, he would never say that any games were the 'best', but would come up with a descriptive name, so athens had 'dream' games and beijing had 'exceptional' games.

as for the greek flag, etc. it's all part of the tradition that has been building over time. the whole idea of marching, a torch relay, a flag to pass on between host cities have been added on over time, and i think it should stay. after all, the games were intended to be held in greece every year, but de coubertin wanted them held in france at least once, and then everyone else said why not just continue with it moving round the world.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
lol 'freer'? i'm sure that london would also be very tight with security as they combat the likelihood of terrorism, which is probably much higher in london given the makeup of the population. Furthermore, London won't be able to get as many volunteers as China.

A High Way Man

all ova da world
HSC
Samaranch used to say that every games was the 'best games ever'. Rogge stated beforehand he would not continue this tradition. It's pretty arbitrary.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
nah, Rogge said: "since the aussie olympics were amazingly l33t and will never be bettered, I'll never call another games the best ever"

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
atreus said:
the closing was pretty lame. except for the number of people, there was nothing else that spectacular and the singing was annoying. london could easily beat these games. their venues will be better (except for their main stadium, which does not look anywhere near as impressive as the birds nest) and they will definitely be freer games.
London will not have the same manpower or funds that the Chinese had at their disposal, and the traffic around London will also be one of the major issues, something which was very well controlled in Beijing I thought, the advantages of having a certain government seems to have paid off.

And dude, the ending had Jackie Chan...and David Beckham kicking a football awkwardly...biggest let down ever. Thought he'd at least be doing free kicks into some awesome setup...but yeah.

Did it feel like all the singing/playing was also lip-synched? A few times I was questioning if Jimmy was actually playing there... :(

Anyone else see how small Lauren Jackson looked when she hugged Yao Ming? Fark that guys tall

atreus

HSC
obviously after what happened in 2005 and because its the olympics there will be tight security. i meant freer in terms of the atmosphere, but also to some extent that londoners will probably not have to fill in an application form to protest.

london will not have as many volunteers/peoplepower, but i doubt anyone is expecting any country to have more manpower than china.

is london changing the logo, or are they sticking with the one that looks like lisa simpson giving a blow job?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)