• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Beijing vs Athens vs Sydney opening ceremony (1 Viewer)

Which was had the best opening ceremony?

• Total voters

Snaykew

:)
HSC
N/A
But getting to host the Olympics is muscle flexing anyway. Why not flex some more during the opening ceremony?

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Sore winners? But still, there are sore losers. Russia just invades a little backwater though

Snaykew

HSC
N/A
Iron said:
Sore winners? But still, there are sore losers. Russia just invades a little backwater though
They want to become a superpower again, I suppose. It's what superpowers do. o/

Admiral Nelson said:
I love the seven token Greeks who voted for Athens.
I voted for all of them because it let me. :D

-tal-

HSC
Iron said:
We were humble, humourous, warm, welcoming. It was the ideal Olympics, not muscle flexing
Could not agree more! Bloody Beijing was freaking showing off throughout the whole ceremony. At first, the synchronicity of everything was kinda cool, and the whole lights thing was too.

Then everything got boring, the same crap over and over again. Synchronised this, synchronised that. No creativity. And, there was no big bang at the end. Bloody showing off how "big" they were, and how many people they had. Bloody Beijing. Incredibly boring.

Am determined to hate China now. It's ok if any other country wins, as long as it's not the USA or China (for giving me an absolutely shitty opening ceremony).

sundirtwater

HSC
bejing did have the WOW factor

but after awhile you couldn't help but notice that most of the WOW was displayed through A GIANT SCREEN!?!?!?!?!?!
definatley shows how technology is taking over the world!!!!:jedi:
hehe

loved the drums...
and the idea of the athletes walking footsteps on the canvas

L-esky

HSC
the Beijing opening was really impressive.
That's all I can say. I didn't expect that much but was incredibly impressed.

always.dreaming

sporadic attendee
HSC
N/A
At the time I thought the Sydney OC was pretty cool. Mind you i was only 9. It wasn't amazing, but it had its highlights - the problem was that they were so few and far between. As soon as the drag queens, floating jelly fish and tap dancers came out I was like "DAMMIT SYDNEY, you have such a rich and vibrant culture to draw upon...why did you have to draw your inspiration from the mardigras :("

A lot of time was filled with annoying and irrelevant crap. As someone mentioned before: bike riding kangaroo’s ?? Someone also had the brilliant idea of making Dawn Fraser the unofficial ambassador of Australian Sport. Firstly why THE HELL isn't she dead yet? And secondly, WTF?? I hate her, seeing her sitting next to the IOC president, chatting away and eye fucking him at every chance made me cringe. She's an old bitch who has contributed little, if anything to Australia and thinks that she has some god given right to have a say on anything and everything regarding Australian sport. The tragedy is that when she dies, a state funeral will probably be conducted, at the tax payer’s expense, celebrating the life of someone who has given so little and yet demanded so much of Australia :mad:

Anyway Athens was devoid of any mention of Dawn, which made it instantly popular in my books. It was colourful, and I liked how a story unfolded as the night went on. It seemed more precise and planned than Sydney and carried a degree of elegance that Beijing couldn’t match. However it was a bit bland and took some time to get going – Beijing seemed to be at set at such a higher tempo, regardless of when you tuned in there was always something amazing happening (unlike Sydney or Athens). And as a teenage male, high-tempo-amazing anything spells success for me.

Last edited:

MissSarajevo

HSC
Beijing Opening was better than Sydney or Athens , except air pollution. But they allege that the fireworks outside and over the stadium were computer generated LOL!

Snaykew

HSC
N/A
MissSarajevo said:
Beijing Opening was better than Sydney or Athens , except air pollution. But they allege that the fireworks outside and over the stadium were computer generated LOL!
The part where there was an forward moving overhead view of fireworks going off as the camera came past was fake. But that was outside the stadium.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
I'm sick of this comparing, it's usually by fuckwits.

Fuckwit: "Yeah you only stole Nikki Webster, and our fireworks display"
Me: .... We INVENTED fireworks.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
ur_inner_child said:
I'm sick of this comparing, it's usually by fuckwits.

Fuckwit: "Yeah you only stole Nikki Webster, and our fireworks display"
Me: .... We INVENTED fireworks.
nah u guys didn't really steal nikki webster, our one actually did the singing herself. Yours was a pretty doll lip synching for the uglier girl.

Snaykew

HSC
N/A
i don't hate or discriminate against anyone but China is the modern day fascist, as was in 1939 with Nazi Germany!
Hahahahaha, oh man, love Youtube comments.

Garygaz

HSC
Beijing = fail

Fake singer (That little girl you saw, wasn't singing live and the recording was of a different girl who they dumped at the last minute because she wasn't cute enough)

Shit air quality

Fake fireworks

Rent-a-crowd of people's army who were pretty much cheer leaders.

GG for the fake atmosphere...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)