Being an INPUTS (Bachelor of Business) student (1 Viewer)

Sathius005

HSC
Uni Grad
The first thing I want to say is that the University of Technology, Sydney is a top five per cent business school in the world accredited by the Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB). The University of Technology, Sydney is tantamount to James Ruse High school (a selective school) when you compare UTS to the high school system.

I want to talk about the Sub Prime University Student Market (SPUSM) or more commonly known as the Educational Access Scheme. I am a former Bachelor of Business student (INPUTS) at the University of Technology, Sydney. I tendered my resignation in autumn 2013 after achieving a pass average. The reason why I quit was because Bachelor of Business was putting massive pressure on my health. I had entered a quasi- Depression. I lost touch with appetite and was psychologically drained and battered to the ground. Bachelor of Business took the piss out of me. I lost motivation to study and was encountering Mission Impossible. I needed to be able to handle 4 unit and 3 unit maths to be able to understand Accounting for Business Decisions A and Fundamentals of Business Finance.

As a result of kickbacks from the federal Australian government, the University of Technology, Sydney (UTS) introduced the INPUTS Educational Access Scheme. Approximately ten per cent of UTS Bachelor of Business students come from the INPUTS system. The INPUTS system is for high school graduates who are very talented but come from disadvantaged backgrounds. I qualified for the INPUTS EAS as a result of getting 88 per cent in Economics in high school and coming eight in 2 unit Advanced English at Epping Boys High School in the pre- final exam.

I got an ATAR of 77.75 in my HSC in 2008. Because I came from a disadvantaged background I qualified for the INPUTS EAS and my ATAR got raised to 92.75. I was ranked last out of the students who entered Bachelor of Business at UTS. Technically I am meant to come last in every subject for my Bachelor of Business. Notwithstanding that I managed to dux (come first) in Business Law and Ethics (BLE) at UTS in autumn 2010, when I did one subject each semester. My result of 85 per cent in BLE would get scaled up to a result of 100 per cent when you compare UTS to a top fifty per cent business school in the world.

My time at UTS has had it days of sunshine as well as days of rain. My high point was High Distinction in Business Law and Ethics (85 per cent; ranked first), Credit in Marketing Foundations (70 per cent; ranked in the top 51 per cent), Credit in Managing People and Organisations (66 per cent; ranked second last out of two thousand students) and Pass in Economics for Business (54 per cent; ranked seventh last out of 2000 students). Since 2009 I only completed 4 subjects and had two and a half years of leave of absence. My low point was getting 27 per cent in Marketing Foundations (second last out of 2000 students) when I first did the subject (the lowest mark in Marketing Foundations at UTS was 16 per cent).

I am ranked last in 2 units Advanced Mathematics at UTS Bachelor of Business cohort with a mark of 75 per cent. The average mark for 2 units Advanced Mathematics at UTS is 98 per cent. Ninety five per cent of UTS Bachelor of Business students have completed 3 units Maths. Eighty per cent of Bachelor of Business students have completed 4 units maths. I come from a low SES background. I was unable to afford the high quality maths tutors that most High School students get.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pete1555

HSC
I want to do Bachelor of Business at UTS, and I'm currently doing general mathematics... :( . I also will be applying for EAS to gain an extra 10 marks to be able to get in the course (that is if I dont get 90+)

will_

HSC
Uni Grad
i am really sorry to hear how things have not worked out for you personally, despite doing really well in business law/ethics.

although uts business is managable to most and is relatively stress-free compared to the demanding subjects such as engineering, law etc.

builder2818

HSC
You're quitting? Oh No - you only had 9-10 years to go at one subject a semester. How the hell are you going to end up as CEO of Goldman Sachs now?

How can you think that you need 3 or 4 unit maths to do Accounting A and B? It's all 1 + 1 simple maths. Geez, I finished school in 1998 and I did what was called back then - Maths In Society, which is probably the same as General Maths today.

I guess good luck in whatever you decide to do, you quit this easily with uni, you are bound to quit many more times in your life when the going gets a little tough.

nhoustonrocks

HSC
Uni Grad
And the point of this thread is....?

Don't really know how you needed to know 4 unit for accounting A and finance? I did general maths and managed just fine - the hardest math in accounting is basic addition.

And WTF "95% of business students do 3 unit". Most would have done general or 2 unit. Anyone smart enough to do 3/4 unit would have gone to USYD/UNSW.

There is so much shit here I really dont know where to start...

KidDang

HSC
Uni Grad
You were doing 1 subject per semester.. but it pressured your health and sent you into a state of depression 0-0

What
the

goobypls

HSC
I think WTF just about sums up this post, can't even be bothered counting all the things that are wrong about it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)