Being called into work. (1 Viewer)

Lennie

^CoSMic DoRiS^^ said:
i never feel bad about saying no, especially when they call you at 8:30 and want you there by nine on a sunday morning! ffs im barely awake and i was looking forward to doing other stuff. grrr. plus they never seem to get that i cant miraculously make a half hour trip in 5 minutes, no matter how hard i try. however if they give me enough notice, like say a couple hours, i would say yes for the sake of getting paid.

Sounds VERY familiar....

I hate how you say 'yes' to one or two extra shifts, and suddenly they are calling you up everyday....

Lennie

William_Lawry said:
if i get called into work we get an extra $5 an hour so for $24 an hour im more than happy... i just hate it when your at work and have plans afterwards and they deliberately keep you back, i dnt mind if they say can u stay back an extra hour etc etc
That sucks. But then again, you get paid $24 per hour....

Everyday, the latest my work rosters people on till, is 5.30pm.

Yet, no-one has ever left earlier than 6 o'clock.

You would make plans, and they would be all like "you should know by now that 5.30pm means after 6pm"

They are too cheap to change the rosters, just in case we actually finish on time one day, and they have to pay us all....

mishka

HSC
N/A
at my old job (kmart) my manager was really intimidating. she didn't even have to say her name because her voice is so unique lol.

so when she rang up to ask, she'd never say who it was, it was always something along the lines of "now, listen, I'm really pressed for people today and I was hoping to count on you to come in and fill in a gap for me". What do you say to that?? :p

Most of the time it was "I guess I could do 4 hours" but once I lied because "I had a big HSC assessment due the next day" (my PIP) and I was "spending the afternoon editing" the final copy. That same final copy was already on my teacher's desk waiting to be sent away!!! :D

addict

'Specal' Member
HSC
i said no today, my boss called while i was still in bed feeling shit n mum came n woke me up. she wanted me to work today, from asap till close... i need the money, but i had never felt that shit when i woke up, i crawled back into bed for 3 hrs after i called back n said i couldn't... i'm like the reliable call in girl n it gives me the shits, n today of all days, it would've been dead anyway cos of the rain pissing down

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
Argonaut said:
I hated it when I was called in while I was a cashier. Mostly because they threatened to cut my hours if I didn't accept, and by cutting my hours, I mean I wouldn't be working for a month. Hell, I wasn't working for two when I raised the issue of the head supervisor's daughter being absoltely hopeless and that she shouldn't have even been considered for the role of supervisor (she hadn't even finished her three months of induction before she became a full supervisor), so I was loathe to say yes to any extra shifts. I also remember being called in and forgotten about because it was so busy and I ended up doing six hours instead of three. Then the aforementioned supervisor's daughter told the supevisor at the time that I'd only been there an hour, so I ended up doing nine hours without a single break. You can tell why I didn't take any more extra work, even if my roster did take a hit.
thats so crappy :s

TaEkWoNdObArBiE

Mmmm....kinky
HSC
I always feel bad when I have to call in sick. Like I had a fever that was close to 39 degrees and when I called in to say I couldn't go they guilt tripped me like crazy complaining they were 'short staffed.'
And then, when they call my mobile while I'm at school and I get out and hear the message I hear a pleading in my managers voice and I get guilty for even THINKING about saying no.
I'm a sucker.

choco

love the mini xxl!
HSC
yeah so am i especially if your new...the worst thing to do is be difficult..but my manager msgs me for shifts...he doesn't ring! its easier that way to say no ..

Mejc

CSAK AZ ETO
HSC
Yeah im the same but the last time the rang i was like i have a massive exam for uni the next day and she did the guilt trip and i went i would go otherwise etc. but she was kool with (thank goodness it was the other chick in charge otherwise she would hae been like well im hear from 5-17 etc) and was like screw woolies you education is more important

soha

a splendid one to behold
HSC
ok i was given a thank you card and 2 movie tickets coz i always and i mean ALWAYS go to work when they call
it got to the point where they would call me to come into to work when i was already working..and my mum would say she snot at home..shes actually at work..like wtf?
i get called into come in early atleast once a week
and i get called to work all the time
i cant say no..especially coz i need the money and everytime my work calls i try and ignore the call and not answer..but i cnat do that eitehr
oh wellz..

Cityboy

HSC
Why do you all feel guilty to say no, the only reason the managers are ringing you up is to a cheaper staff member on and save on labour costs.

TaEkWoNdObArBiE

Mmmm....kinky
HSC
Hmmm...well, today I got called into work...the story goes as follows...
I was in bed, at 7:10 i hear my mum screaming 'Soraya, soraya!' she barges into my room and goes, 'get up, phone for u' so I pick it up and I'm like...'hello' it was one of my supervisors calling me in to work from 10-2...i could barely process what they were asking so I just said 'okay' and went back to sleep...
I thought it had been a dream until my mum woke me up before she went to work...'hurry up soraya...you only have an hour and a half to get ready for work!'

MEH...

soha

a splendid one to behold
HSC
TaEkWoNdObArBiE said:
Hmmm...well, today I got called into work...the story goes as follows...
I was in bed, at 7:10 i hear my mum screaming 'Soraya, soraya!' she barges into my room and goes, 'get up, phone for u' so I pick it up and I'm like...'hello' it was one of my supervisors calling me in to work from 10-2...i could barely process what they were asking so I just said 'okay' and went back to sleep...
I thought it had been a dream until my mum woke me up before she went to work...'hurry up soraya...you only have an hour and a half to get ready for work!'

MEH...
are u egyptian?

soha

a splendid one to behold
HSC
TaEkWoNdObArBiE said:
lol...no 'h' on the end :p...and there i was...thinking i was unusual and unique :p
well u are for a ittalion, armenian to be called soraya
just like me..i dont know of anyone who is called soha
i feel unique but ive been told heaps and heaps of ppl are..:(

TaEkWoNdObArBiE

Mmmm....kinky
HSC
soha said:
i feel unique but ive been told heaps and heaps of ppl are..:(
Soha, we should start a 'we are unique' club. But then we wouldn't be unique, cause we would be part of club.
What a shit idea....courtesy of MOI

soha

a splendid one to behold
HSC
TaEkWoNdObArBiE said:
Soha, we should start a 'we are unique' club. But then we wouldn't be unique, cause we would be part of club.
What a shit idea....courtesy of MOI
lmao.........

Cyph

espresso me up!
HSC
EnterNameHere said:
At my work, they tend to put the guilt trip on you, something shocking, if you refuse.

What do you say in these sorts of situations??
Heh, my work is very good at doing that.

I can remember a period of time for 6 weeks all I got was 2x 3 hour shifts with midnight being the stating the time! They rang me up on a public holiday asking me if I could start work ASAP for a 3 hour shift (no double time or anything, just the flat rate). As much as the money would have been nice due to the small amount of hours I was getting (about 10), I just declined saying I'd had a few drinks.

I've refused other shifts when they've rang me up saying I had plans or I was busy...

I tend to get 20-30 hours a week now because they know I'm reliable and will turn up I guess.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)