Being shortsighted....how worse can it get?? (1 Viewer)

Kulazzi

HSC
My grandmother had glaucoma and my father got diagnosed with it last year or so, luckily it's not very bad but he has to take these special eyedrops every night to prevent further damage. So it's genetic :(

nic56

Sheep Station (farm 4city ppl) 50 km NW of Wentwor
HSC
i noticed i couldnt read the bored when i was in year 10 (2004) . No one in my family wuld believe me. It wasnt until november last year (2005) that i finally went and go my eyes tested. i nearly fell over when they told me my presciption. it was 1.25 in my right or sumthing like than and then even worse in my left eye bout 1.75 i think. I was struggling to see the board again. I went back and got my eyes tested again about a month ago and both eyes has gotton worse, left eye 2.25 and right eye 1.75. I wear glasses and prescription sunglasses for school and everyday and wear daily contacts for sport. thank goodness for sumone inventing contacts. I was really surprises that my eyes had become so bad in such a short time. I thought as i got older they may have gotten better.
thats my dribble about my poor eye sight that doesnt seem to be that bad after reading some of the others.
Nicola

vorahk

HSC
sitting at the front all the time can get annoying..feels nerdy, get picked to do stuff and sometimes you go with your friends at the back then you screw up coz you cant see or get behind from copying slowly.

its fucking annoying.

CieL

HSC
nic56 said:
i noticed i couldnt read the bored when i was in year 10 (2004) . No one in my family wuld believe me. It wasnt until november last year (2005) that i finally went and go my eyes tested. i nearly fell over when they told me my presciption. it was 1.25 in my right or sumthing like than and then even worse in my left eye bout 1.75 i think. I was struggling to see the board again. I went back and got my eyes tested again about a month ago and both eyes has gotton worse, left eye 2.25 and right eye 1.75. I wear glasses and prescription sunglasses for school and everyday and wear daily contacts for sport. thank goodness for sumone inventing contacts. I was really surprises that my eyes had become so bad in such a short time. I thought as i got older they may have gotten better.
thats my dribble about my poor eye sight that doesnt seem to be that bad after reading some of the others.
Nicola
Well, during puberty the constant changes in growth is somewhat related to vision... the eyeball is changing shape at a rapid growth and during that time your eyesight can diminish at a very fast pace... This is when usually optoms prescribe you hard lenses which basically tries to force your vision back to normal.. or at least slow down the crazy growth..

Your vision is pretty much at a stable state after your growth spurt (which is different age for boys and girls)...

But note that not everyone's vision is linked to growth

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
i use to be 2.75 both eyes when i had my eyesight test done way back when i was in year 6
since then though, ive been accustomed to wearing hard contacts, which ensures that my eyesight couldn't get any worse....only better
and its done the job and i have now perfect 20/20 vision

LynH1326

HSC
I started out with -0.25 in 2003 and now i'm up to -2
It's now at the point that I cannot do anything with long distances without wearning my glasses, so I miss life before I had them. But at least I don't squint anymore!

At least I can get contacts now =) but because my perscription isn't "bad" Medicare won't give me any money back! BOO! Oh well, I won't be wearing contacts all the time, only times that I want to go out without having a set of frames.

All in all, I like my glasses (they have clip-on sunnies) and they make me look older... I'm almost 18 and people think i'm only 15 when i'm not wearing my glasses.....

*hopeful*

HSC
i started out with 3 and 2.75 when was 9 or 10 yrs old, now im 5.25 and 5.00
it sucks so bad to have shit eyesight, i cant live without contacts or glasses....

i've been thinking a bit about laser surgery maybe in a couple of years or sumfn

RTTTYTR

HSC
CSI: CRIMES ™ said:
damn thats bad, isnt there like laser treatment, i heard some kind of treatment that you sleep with some kind of contacts(it helps to shape your eye lense i think) and during the day you can take it off and dont need glasses and your eyes are perfect (cost kind of like how you get braces, around those prices)
Is laser eye surgery guaranteed yet?

AntiHyper

Revered Member
HSC
There is a minimum age at which you can get a laser eye surgery. It is not 18, they believe that your eyes are still developing beyond 18 years old. You also need to show that your eyesight has been stable for at least 12 months.

If it's below $5k, then it's a good investment imo. Get it while you're young to maximise the benifit. Do one eye at a time, so at least you can still see while it's healing.

CieL

HSC
AntiHyper said:
There is a minimum age at which you can get a laser eye surgery. It is not 18, they believe that your eyes are still developing beyond 18 years old. You also need to show that your eyesight has been stable for at least 12 months.

If it's below $5k, then it's a good investment imo. Get it while you're young to maximise the benifit. Do one eye at a time, so at least you can still see while it's healing.
You need to show it's stable for >12 months?
My mum had vision correction surgery soon after she went in for her initial booking... cept it wasn't for Lasik...

Not sure about Lasik, but my mum's procudure was way over $5k lol...

And it's compulsory to do one eye at a time, due to fear of contamination... if they screw up one eye then at least you still have a chance to see in the other, however crude that might sound...

LynH1326

HSC
The only thing i know about laser surgery is that you have to be at least 25, but it depends on the surgeon. I think they have to do a few tests to make sure that the lasering will make things better or not, and if your eyes are stable enough. I think there are some things that they are not allowed to laser...
I think I'll stick with my glasses and contacts =)

Nickonaa

HSC
im short sighted and the weirdest thing is my left eye is much more blurry than my right :l

electrolysis

congenital schmuck
HSC
im short sighted as well, and have been since year 2 :)
and it aint that bad...

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
My friend is super short sighted... without her glasses she can't clearly see anything, unless she leans forward so that she's about 1/2 a hand away from what she's trying to see =='

I am also short sighted, but i'm not that bad XD

Mz.Utai

HSC
oh believe me it can get really bad i was legally blind n was wearing hard contact lenses. my left eye was completely stuffed but after operations i am now wearing -1 lense which is great

Woteva636

HSC
i'm also short sighted, but in my glasses the right lense is twice as strong as the left one, i have no idea why (well, i guess my right eye is more stuffed, but i dont know why that is)

Uncle

Banned
HSC
gouge your short sighted eye with a table spoon.
do the same with a person wtih a good eye and use it as your new eyeball
tada.

edit:

omg who did this to my dog???

Last edited:

izzy88

HSC
i'm shortsighted- about -2.5 in the left and -3.5 in the right. I wear contacts most of the time now- i have one's which you just leave in for a month- they're great! hopefully my eyes have stopped deteriorating now- they were getting worse through school but i think they've steadied up a bit.

What i find interesting is that my sister (two years younger) and I have exactly the same prescription!

d3vilz

HSC
Uni Grad
my Ray Ban glasses are:
Left - 1
Right - 1.5

electrolysis

congenital schmuck
HSC
my eyes have been getting worse and worse over the years...
currently: left: -4
right: -3.5
I remember the days when both eyes were > -2 each eye...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)