Belonging & Emily Dickinson ideas (1 Viewer)

R1NA92

HSC
I'm trying to practise essays with a strong belonging thesis and relating it to emily dickinson. This is what i've put together so far. Any feedback, criticism or ideas would be appreciated!:) In particular, my thesis and my techniques with Dickinson and her poems.

To belong relates to an achievement of the self, providing that there is no means of criteria whereby individuals should ‘evaluate themselves’. Rather, belonging is built on the foundation of ironically existing as holistically situational. With members of society acting in accordance with the need for human association, we have witnessed others who have repelled these intrinsic inclinations and instead have achieved distinctive contentment in reclusion, such as that found in Emily Dickinson.
With this concept in mind, we can apply the notion of belonging unconditionally with extreme flexibility in determining the value of belonging in a variety of situations. In all situations of belonging, the concept originates and adjourns in the same place, within ourselves. This is essentially apparent in the works of Emily Dickinson through the adoption of her secluded living; where her isolation was a means of achieving purity in her works. Solidarity or rather, lack of can be regarded as a factor of the milieu which assists as a stepping stone to begin to sketch the differing degrees and manner of which one can belong.
In highlighting concepts of belonging existing as an achievement of the self, poems that will be addressed include Poem 82 – I had been hungry all the years and Poem 67 – I died for beauty but was scarce, as they explore the search and troubles apparent in achieving accord. In Poem 82 – I had been hungry all the years, explores an extensive metaphor of identifying the path taken towards self-discovery. This allows for the relation to belonging and its achievement.

Emily Dickinson uses death as the end of her world, as absolution however in ‘I died for beauty’ we can see that death has almost initiated the poem. With,
‘I died for beauty but was scarce/​
Adjusted in the tomb,/​
When one who died for truth was lain/​
In an adjoining room.’​
However, there becomes the exploration of the journey towards laying still. Even though death has united the two in embarking into this conversation, utilisation of words such as ‘tomb’ promotes not suffocation or entrapment but ideas of sanctuary, security and rest – here peace is achieved through the technique of domestic imagery.

tris123

HSC
1. you dont need to number the poems, you introduce them by the first line.
2. "Rather, belonging is built on the foundation of ironically existing as holistically situational" - that isn't ironic.
3. mentioning her isolation is good background information however you need specific contextual concerns (i.e. the emergence of the women's rights movement and how she used this to challenge the patriarchy's poetic norms)
4. you are writing two-dimensionally. Yes her isolation offered liberation from the conventional poetic confines, however she still desires to belong (a narrow fellow in the grass)
5. sikhman said the language was 'verbose'. Once you have a good argument i strongly advise to use big words as hsc markers mark on linguistic impression

(pm me if you want to trade belonging essays)

2009vanp

HSC
Quotes from the poems themselves could be helpful, other than that its pretty good

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)