Belonging Essay Question 2013 PREDICTION (1 Viewer)

ocatal

HSC
Wouldn't the components of the rubric cover all prescribed texts anyway?

Hezz96

HSC
I think we shouldn't overlook past themes. Relationships was repeated so who says places or time couldn't be. Time is probably unlikely but who knows. As for the speech rumors.. Probably false but I'm fucked if it's true haha! Who am I kidding I'm fucked anyway. I'm doing advanced and hoping for an exam mark of 60..

gee-dee-enn95

HSC
Yes, just like the BoS can ask for two related texts, they can most definitely repeat a theme if they want to.

Communities would work brilliantly for Skryznecki.

macmill

HSC
If the question was "The challenge to belong may be resisted or embraced. How is this explored in your prescribed text and ONE or more texts of your own choosing?" How would you attack it? I have something along the lines of "The challenge to belong is ultimately dominated by influences beyond the realms of one's control. An individual's pursuit heavily relies on positive interaction with others and the world around them, and a significant understanding of one's true identity in order enrich their abilities to be embraced by the people or places."

How would others do it?

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad
If the question was "The challenge to belong may be resisted or embraced. How is this explored in your prescribed text and ONE or more texts of your own choosing?" How would you attack it? I have something along the lines of "The challenge to belong is ultimately dominated by influences beyond the realms of one's control. An individual's pursuit heavily relies on positive interaction with others and the world around them, and a significant understanding of one's true identity in order enrich their abilities to be embraced by the people or places."

How would others do it?
Pretty much...

Although the challenge to belonging may be resisted or embraced, there are circumstances beyond the individuals control which act as a barrier to belong etc

HSC
Communities aren't explored in Skrzynecki either. Only in about 2 of his poems and he still doesn't ""belong"". I don't think the question will be that though. It seems a little unfair if they make it as difficult as last years question since some texts didn't adapt to the question.

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad
Communities aren't explored in Skrzynecki either. Only in about 2 of his poems and he still doesn't ""belong"". I don't think the question will be that though. It seems a little unfair if they make it as difficult as last years question since some texts didn't adapt to the question.
time was incredibly easy for skrzynecki

wish we had that

macmill

HSC
Pretty much...

Although the challenge to belonging may be resisted or embraced, there are circumstances beyond the individuals control which act as a barrier to belong etc
Would it complicate the thesis too much if you added that whilst these notions of identity and relationships can enrich our opportunities, repeat the fact that it can still be out of our hands, or is that already addressed well enough to talk about further in the body or conclusion? Im doing St Pats and Post Card so if I took the argument down the direction that Peter makes weak attempts at establishing relationships and a true sense of identity, and in conjunction with his environment in Australia, he ultimately fails to feel a sense of belonging? Just trying to get my head around the direction I would take which is strong enough to carry through a strong essay

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad
Would it complicate the thesis too much if you added that whilst these notions of identity and relationships can enrich our opportunities, repeat the fact that it can still be out of our hands, or is that already addressed well enough to talk about further in the body or conclusion? Im doing St Pats and Post Card so if I took the argument down the direction that Peter makes weak attempts at establishing relationships and a true sense of identity, and in conjunction with his environment in Australia, he ultimately fails to feel a sense of belonging? Just trying to get my head around the direction I would take which is strong enough to carry through a strong essay
The main focus of your essay will be answering the question about how the challenge of belonging may be resisted or embraced. Though, in the resistance part, you can talk about how it's a conjunction of his choice to resist, and circumstances beyond his control (i.e. he lacks the cultural understanding to form a cultural affiliation).

monsta4lyfe

HSC
Imagine, a years worth of preparation, and question like this appears...

~~"In engaging with a text, the responder may experience and understand possibilities presented by an exclusion from the world the text represents"

To what extent does your study of the concept of Belonging resonate with this statement?

In your response, make detailed reference to your prescribed text and at least ONE other related text of your choosing.~~

A monster of a question, straight from the rubric. No doubt half of the state will be stumped by a question like this.
Apologies if I scared anybody with this post, I made a mistake in thinking this was actually an assessable dot point of the rubric.

Basically, this dot point is asking for a personal response from the audience, for instance, if you're reading 'Diary of a Young Girl' by Anne Frank (for example) and you stumble across the part where she talks about menstruation, and you are a male (awkward >.<), this is what it means by a responder being excluded from the world the text represents. I guess a possibility in this sense is coming to understand girl's feelings when going through menstruation??? (gosh I should've picked a better example :3). And, of course you will know, BoS wont shouldn't know if you're a male or female, therefore making it a non-assessable point from the rubric.

madzvh

HSC
I dont know why people are worried about the question being related to 'Place'. Place can be related to anything in almost any text! i know for our text (Romulus my father) ill be over the moon.

onytae

HSC
Uni Grad
well its last year for belonging, so good luck. Inb4 they specify texts.

hjed

HSC
They totally are, there's the Australian community, his family community, the Polish community, the community of migrants...

An individual's connection to communities significantly influences their belonging to the groups, places and the larger world. This is apparent in Peter Skryznecki's poetic anthology "Immigrant Chronicles" where the poet expertly explores how connections to community strengthen an individual's sense of belonging, whilst disconnection undermines it. This is also apparent in George R. R. Martin's fantasy serries ....

I would talk about the Polish community referred to in Felix Skrzynecki and 10 Mary Street and how this supports his connection to place and family. I would also talk about the migrant's splintered community in Migrant Hostel and how it disconnects him from the world. You could also use in the folk museum or St Patrick's college.

smiggles

HSC
Yeah i hear the Belonging paper was on connections and people.

illbayho

HSC
N/A
Yeah i hear the Belonging paper was on connections and people.
nevertheless we all know an individual's sense of belonging is determined not only by their own choices but also by the attitudes of others. :biggrin:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)