• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

benefits of a defrag? (1 Viewer)

HSC
what does it do? do u get more free space? is ur pc faster? how long does it take? defragging on 98 took fckin forever...

MedNez

:o>---<
HSC
N/A
It speeds up the time it takes to do any hard drive related functions as it takes all the 'fragments' and 'bits and pieces' and puts them in an orderly fashion. It should speed up your computer if it is heavily fragmented.

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
i dotyn tihnk it gives more space. not that i have noticed. maybe 1 or 2 mbs but i didnt notice

tomorrows_angel

tomorrow is too soon...
HSC
SashatheMan said:
i dotyn tihnk it gives more space. not that i have noticed. maybe 1 or 2 mbs but i didnt notice
that's part of the main point of a defrag isn't it? it has listed free space before and free space afterwards. at least mine does. i can usually clear up a few gigs.

sunny

meh.
HSC
tomorrows_angel said:
that's part of the main point of a defrag isn't it?
Not exactly. The main point of a defrag is to (re)speed up file access.

tomorrows_angel said:
it has listed free space before and free space afterwards. at least mine does. i can usually clear up a few gigs.
That is extremely unusual.....actually shouldn't be happening at all, at least not in the extreme of gigabytes of space recovered.

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
thank you wise one.

i was hoping to clear up heaps fo space aswell, but found that it didnt really clear up anythign except sort stuff out

tomorrows_angel

tomorrow is too soon...
HSC
hmm well my computer is kind of rooted. last time i cleared up nearly 2 gigs. when i defrag again i'll post what it's done.

Jago

el oh el donkaments
HSC
when i defrags the file space was EXACTLY the same :/

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
tomorrows_angel said:
that's part of the main point of a defrag isn't it? it has listed free space before and free space afterwards. at least mine does. i can usually clear up a few gigs.
what program were you using?

santaslayer

HSC
Defragging an 80Gig drive takes me about 45mins..

It's noticably quicker. (Files jump up quicker), but that speediness doesnt last too long.

Defragging puts your files into segments doesnt it? So files aren't all over the place, which comes from deleting, modifying and installing files.

luke stuart

HSC
i use o&o defrag, it takes me about 1-2 hours to defrag a 120gb hard drive. coz i download a bit all of my stuff is fragmented so it defrag 1-2 times a week. speeds up my comp heaps.

p.s. o&o defrag is heaps good

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
imagine a library all messed up and you are trying to search for one exact book but have to go every where to look for it this takes time, but if everything was organised this will take much less time

defragmenting sorts things back in order, therefore faster

santaslayer

HSC
On the default XP Defrag software, it has an "Analyse" button which I assume, is to detect whether a defrag is necessary right? Should I ignore it if it says I do not need to defrag?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)