Benefits of advanced and extension english (2 Viewers)

selablad

HSC
9megqyzn said:
so can you get the top bands in standard english?

Am i disadvantaged in anyway if i'm doing standard as opposed to advanced?
Yes you can, and before this turns into yet *another* standard-vs-advanced scaling debate (haha, as lyounamu said, it could go for 10 pages :D), use the search function. You will get about 20 pages of results for it...

Without Wings said:
The English Standard and Advanced dilemma

*English Standard AND Advanced are scaled in the exact same way. When someone says "Don't do standard because it has very poor scaling", it is ENTIRELY wrong.

If 2 identical RAW marks in Standard English and Advanced English will scale to the same scaled mark.

Standard and Advanced English are scaled as one course despite what others say.

But now you will ask "Why is it on the list of scaled means, Advanced and Standard english are different when you said they are scaled the same?"

The answer to this is simple. They are reported separately. i.e. They combine the candidature of English Standard and Advanced and scale it as a single subject, they are then separated and the scaled mean is determined and reported. It just so happens the scaled mean of Standard is typically lower than Advanced. This doesn't mean it scaled any better or worse than Advanced.

Is it possible to get band 6 in Standard English?

Yes it is very much possible it. Most teachers and students would say the board of studies doesn't allow students to get band 6. This is untrue, and has been proved in 2003 (where one student attained a band 6), as well as other years.

But why so little people? It just so happens the students undertaking Standard aren't as acedemically good enough to attain that band.

Source: Guide to Selecting your HSC courses

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
9megqyzn said:
but does it have any advantage when it comes to uai calculations?
More people seem to get band 6s in advanced and since they scale about the same advanced would be better for your UAI.

9megqyzn

HSC
kaz1 said:
More people seem to get band 6s in advanced and since they scale about the same advanced would be better for your UAI.
If they're scaled in the same way, why would it be better?

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
9megqyzn said:
If they're scaled in the same way, why would it be better?
Your more likely to get a band 6 in Advanced becuase only like 20 people get band 6 in standard every year.

9megqyzn

HSC
What can i do if they don't allow me to get into the advanced english course?
I heard that you could call the department.

English head teacher said that only 33 students are allowed to do it (As and Bs). She then went on to say that there are only 3 classes.

Cerry

HSC
You can call the BOS if they won't let you do advanced. However, you're better off talking to the head of English, person in charge of curriculum (usually the Deputy Principal), and maybe even the principal, and trying to convince them. Dealing directly with the BOS is very much a last resort.
The only time they can reasonably prevent you from doing advanced is if you're not getting good marks - if you've got a 50% average, then they probably won't let you do advanced, and there's not a lot you can do about it, because there are actually rules in place about that sort of thing (you also aren't supposed to be doing an extension unless you're a band 5 or 6 in the advanced course). But if there are 34 people who all want to do advanced, and all have the marks to do it, then they can't reasonably say that one of them is going to have to do standard instead.

kaz1 said:
Your more likely to get a band 6 in Advanced becuase only like 20 people get band 6 in standard every year.
Which is because there are only about 20 people who write at a band 6 standard each year. There's some weird story going around that it's because the BOS won't let more people than that get a band 6, and it's not true (our English teacher is a senior marker at HSC, we've had this conversation with her).

Schoey93

HSC
The benefits of doing Advanced English and/OR English Extension 1 OR even Extension 2 are very clear ...the big dilema is whether to choose between Standard and Advanced, not whether to choose ENGEX or not.

Obviously, if you get A's or B's in Year 10 English, you are a student that's very capable and you have the ability to achieve a BAND 5 or BAND 6 in HSC English.

My Year 9 English Teacher, who also happens to be the school's English Coordinator, Mrs Sewell, said,
"Advanced is still quite a difficult course, but Extension is extremely challenging [for students who don't do well in Advanced English]."

So, yeah. If you want to do Advanced English and you are a B student for English, then you have to work harder than an A student would. SIMPLE.
I reckon: - If you get an A in Year 10 English Semester 1, do Advanced, and if your teacher says that you are "capable", do English Extension.

There's no point in dumbing down just to be lazy so that you can do well in 10 units and not count English to your UAI, ENGLISH SHOULD COUNT.

It is the most useful subject (if you end up working in an English speaking country), as you will have to speak and understand English in every single job that you ever do.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
I agree wth you Cerry. There is just as much chance as getting a band 6 in general as there is in advanced really. They do basically the same exam just different core content questions that you have studied IN class. And those in the general english have chosen it for the reason that they are not that good at english/don't like it. You can't really expect the same amount of people in advanced and general to remember the same amount of information.... those in general most likely won't because they have chosen general because they are bad at it or don't like it (resulting in bad marks).

Schoey93

HSC
Aquawhite said:
I agree wth you Cerry. There is just as much chance as getting a band 6 in general as there is in advanced really. They do basically the same exam just different core content questions that you have studied IN class. And those in the general english have chosen it for the reason that they are not that good at english/don't like it. You can't really expect the same amount of people in advanced and general to remember the same amount of information.... those in general most likely won't because they have chosen general because they are bad at it or don't like it (resulting in bad marks).
WRONG!

You don't HAVE to choose English (Standard) just because you don't like English subjects. E.g. What about all those people who study ENGAD/ENGEX, but are ambitious and still they really HATE English and average low grade B's? Hm?

You have a very one-sided view, my friend ...you appear to think you know someting but then you don't take into account other perspectives. :)

OK. Can someone pls acknowledge this post by sending me a message, I craving att right now lolz :D

Bye, no offence, man, the Internet got the better of me. My apologies if you in fact are NOT a man. :D

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
Schoey93 said:
WRONG!

You don't HAVE to choose English (Standard) just because you don't like English subjects. E.g. What about all those people who study ENGAD/ENGEX, but are ambitious and still they really HATE English and average low grade B's? Hm?

You have a very one-sided view, my friend ...you appear to think you know someting but then you don't take into account other perspectives. :)

OK. Can someone pls acknowledge this post by sending me a message, I craving att right now lolz :D

Bye, no offence, man, the Internet got the better of me. My apologies if you in fact are NOT a man. :D
I know I did not take into account all perspectives... how could I? I am one person :). I was really just talking about the majority... sure there are the ambitious people who still take advanced and ext 1 english when they are not great at english, but I was simply referring to the majority.

I would love to ext 1 english because I think the english language has so much to explore and understand... (most of it I am yet to understand). English is like a science in many respects, it requires much investigation and deeper meaning (maybe not science on the deeper meaning). I find english extremely interesting... but I can't always get the hang of it properly.

9megqyzn

HSC
Cerry said:
You can call the BOS if they won't let you do advanced. However, you're better off talking to the head of English, person in charge of curriculum (usually the Deputy Principal), and maybe even the principal, and trying to convince them. Dealing directly with the BOS is very much a last resort.
The only time they can reasonably prevent you from doing advanced is if you're not getting good marks - if you've got a 50% average, then they probably won't let you do advanced, and there's not a lot you can do about it, because there are actually rules in place about that sort of thing (you also aren't supposed to be doing an extension unless you're a band 5 or 6 in the advanced course). But if there are 34 people who all want to do advanced, and all have the marks to do it, then they can't reasonably say that one of them is going to have to do standard instead.

Which is because there are only about 20 people who write at a band 6 standard each year. There's some weird story going around that it's because the BOS won't let more people than that get a band 6, and it's not true (our English teacher is a senior marker at HSC, we've had this conversation with her).
I'm boarder-lining within the high C range and 90+ people at my school want to do the bloody course.

nerdsforever

hsc zomg
HSC
9megqyzn said:
What can i do if they don't allow me to get into the advanced english course?
I heard that you could call the department.

English head teacher said that only 33 students are allowed to do it (As and Bs). She then went on to say that there are only 3 classes.
I'm in the same situation ... Only A's and B's can do it and there arethree A's plus 20 B's. Which is just stupid because I dont think only 23 people would be allowed to do Advanced English.

nerdsforever

hsc zomg
HSC
sikhman said:
i know that standard and advanced are scaled as one subject....but advanced will be a little harder (i assume) and possibly more interesting...
If Standard is easier, then wouldnt it be better to do Standard than Advanced, since they are scaled the same.

I'm so confused. Here people are saying its harder to get 70 in Standard than 70 in Advacned. But Standard is supposed to be easier!

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
I believe that there are no restrictions on subjects for my preliminary choices. (except the obvious maths ext and english ext). You don't need to get a certain grade to do advanced or general. The teachers might recommend not the do the course because you would struggle too much but there are no restrictions put in place. Everyone else's school's seem really strict :D

addikaye03

The A-Team
HSC
Aquawhite said:
I believe that there are no restrictions on subjects for my preliminary choices. (except the obvious maths ext and english ext). You don't need to get a certain grade to do advanced or general. The teachers might recommend not the do the course because you would struggle too much but there are no restrictions put in place. Everyone else's school's seem really strict :D
Yes they scale the same but it harder to get say a 90 in english standard ( which 0.02% of the state do) than advanced ( where its sometinhg like 8.5%). i chose std. cos i don't particularly like english, which i entirely regret since i found out about the aggregate of marks. imo, do advanced for yr 11 and if u dont like it move to stardard.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
I plan on doing advanced :). I really like english, I'm just not the best at it! :(

I suppose the reason that there are very small amounts of people that get really high in standard is because the people in Standard aren't good at it/can't get a grasp of how to write well (how the markers want you to).

agirlinatutu

Im just not ready...
HSC
Schoey93 said:
WRONG!

Dude your not god almighty. Why would someone take an ext English if they hated English? The standard course is easier than Advanced and you dont have to study Shakespeare. What the majority of people do is take standard because its simple. If you dont like something, then why are you going to put the extra effort in if you dont want to. However there is always an exception to every rule

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
agirlinatutu said:
Dude your not god almighty. Why would someone take an ext English if they hated English? The standard course is easier than Advanced and you dont have to study Shakespeare. What the majority of people do is take standard because its simple. If you dont like something, then why are you going to put the extra effort in if you dont want to. However there is always an exception to every rule
Thanks for backing me up there. :)

nerdsforever

hsc zomg
HSC
addikaye03 said:
Yes they scale the same but it harder to get say a 90 in english standard ( which 0.02% of the state do) than advanced ( where its sometinhg like 8.5%). i chose std. cos i don't particularly like english, which i entirely regret since i found out about the aggregate of marks. imo, do advanced for yr 11 and if u dont like it move to stardard.
Why is it harder to get 90 if it's easier? It's just like Maths say. Isn't it easier to get 80 in General Maths than say 80 in Ext 1.

nerdsforever

hsc zomg
HSC
ohhh. so people in standard are just more shit in English so its harder to get good marks. wow. Why do they even put it in levels and make it so complicated with all the scaling? Why cant they just have a common level and if you're crap at it, you're crap. If good, your good

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)