Benefits of taking advanced units? (1 Viewer)

HowToNoob101

HSC
Hi there, I'm currently an undergrad student doing Bc of advanced science and is taking the advanced math units for semister 1 (1901 and 1902).
Right now I'm finding the lectures going a bit too fast, and I'm not understanding some parts fully, so I'm thinking of dropping from the advanced unit tot the normal one. The thing that is stopping me from doing so is that I heard advanced units have scaling involved? Just like how 4u in HSC scares much better compared to 2u. Is this true?
Also is taking advanced math units compulsory for the Bc of advanced science degree? (I heard it's not)

Thank you

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Generally it has some benefit in future courses ("units") later on.

Another BoS'er once said that they did a higher maths course than a friend and a year later they came across something which was barely new to the maths student who did the higher course the year before, but was challenging and very hard for the student who did the lower maths course the year before.

In this case, due to the fact that the workload increased as the stuff was being expanded on a year later compared to the stuff before, it would be much harder to learn the topic while catching up with what other students in the same course have already done and mastered.

But if you have difficulties, then just do the normal and not advanced one.

I don't know about USyd but generally it would be a good investment to do the advanced streams if you are doing advanced science.

bangladesh

HSC
I do math1901 and math1902 as well and i kinda faced a similar problem around a week ago, However, when i asked my tutor, He straight up said that 'It's definitely worth doing Advanced units' He said that he doesn't know how scaling works but he said that there are FAR more D's and HD's in advanced units than there are in normal units so Lets just hope he's right, or i'm fucked :)

adii

HSC
Uni Grad
I do math1901 and math1902 as well and i kinda faced a similar problem around a week ago, However, when i asked my tutor, He straight up said that 'It's definitely worth doing Advanced units' He said that he doesn't know how scaling works but he said that there are FAR more D's and HD's in advanced units than there are in normal units so Lets just hope he's right, or i'm fucked :)
^

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Are you planning to do your Adv major in mathematics? If so it is worth doing the first year Adv units.

But if you are Adv majoring in something else, you may find normal maths sufficient.

HowToNoob101

HSC
Are you planning to do your Adv major in mathematics? If so it is worth doing the first year Adv units.

But if you are Adv majoring in something else, you may find normal maths sufficient.
No, I'm only taking these advanced units because I thought I had to. As in I thought they're compulsory for the advanced science degree.

Last edited:

HowToNoob101

HSC
But isn't that just because there are more smart people in advanced? So it's reasonable that there are moer D and HDs.

bangladesh

HSC
But isn't that just because there are more smart people in advanced? So it's reasonable that there are moer D and HDs.
The course is quite challenging for all the 'smart' people just like the normal course is challenging for 'less smart' people. I heard that apparently 4 years ago the exam was so insanely difficult that a 40% raw would be a HD

HowToNoob101

HSC
The course is quite challenging for all the 'smart' people just like the normal course is challenging for 'less smart' people. I heard that apparently 4 years ago the exam was so insanely difficult that a 40% raw would be a HD
I see, so basically there do exist some sort of scaling right? I asked some 3rd year students and they said all that units are the same, there is no scaling involved - the lecturer also mentioned this in the first lecture.

funnytomato

HSC
I see, so basically there do exist some sort of scaling right? I asked some 3rd year students and they said all that units are the same, there is no scaling involved - the lecturer also mentioned this in the first lecture.
If I were you , I wouldn't be worried about 'scaling' (if it exists)

what I can say from experience is that you should take units you like and/or you need

the "need" part is probably easier to explain:
for your adv sci degree , if your major does not require a lot of maths background, for example chemistry,
normal level would be sufficient.
If you major is maths or physics , it's recommended that you choose the advanced unit

the "like" part: if you're feeling uncomfortable with the pace of the advanced unit , you should definitely change to normal level
(provided that you don't need the adv unit)

Last edited:

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
No, I'm only taking these advanced units because I thought I had to. As in I thought they're compulsory for the advanced science degree.
Nah you don't have to, you can do any level of maths in adv sci as long as you check the first years maths unit box.

Considering you are finding it a bit fast/overwhelming and aren't doing a math major, I would recommend normal, especially if you are juggling other SSP/Adv units. As a first semmer, it would probs be best to not be overwhelmed.

But isn't the date where you subs are completely locked very soon?

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
The scaling system has changed at USyd - it has all been removed, at least, the bell curve system is long gone (setting 65 as the mean for chemistry, for example). Also, in previous years, there were a lot more D/HDs in advanced units in any subject.

I suspect that they will still need to adjust marks such as setting D/HDs using some sort of standards based means such as setting raw marks needed for certain final mark ranges but that's speculation.

HowToNoob101

HSC
The scaling system has changed at USyd - it has all been removed, at least, the bell curve system is long gone (setting 65 as the mean for chemistry, for example). Also, in previous years, there were a lot more D/HDs in advanced units in any subject.

I suspect that they will still need to adjust marks such as setting D/HDs using some sort of standards based means such as setting raw marks needed for certain final mark ranges but that's speculation.
Nah you don't have to, you can do any level of maths in adv sci as long as you check the first years maths unit box.
I might just change to the standard version then, as I'm planning on majoring in Chemistry.
Thank you all for your help!

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I might just change to the standard version then, as I'm planning on majoring in Chemistry.
Thank you all for your help!
At this stage, nobody really knows how the scaling will work out - most likely, it will be standard based (eg 60% raw for distinction etc) of some sort but we can't tell until the end of this semester. Generally speaking, it's best to just do the advanced unit, especially if it's what you plan to major in.

bangladesh

HSC
At this stage, nobody really knows how the scaling will work out - most likely, it will be standard based (eg 60% raw for distinction etc) of some sort but we can't tell until the end of this semester. Generally speaking, it's best to just do the advanced unit, especially if it's what you plan to major in.
How about if your aim is to simply get as high as a GPA or WAM as you can?

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
How about if your aim is to simply get as high as a GPA or WAM as you can?
At this stage, it's unclear as to how marks will scale due to the changes made at the university.

With that said, SCIWAM only counts in second and third year and it's best to do the hardest units in first year to ensure you have a strong foundation for later years which will probably pay itself off.

bangladesh

HSC
At this stage, it's unclear as to how marks will scale due to the changes made at the university.

With that said, SCIWAM only counts in second and third year and it's best to do the hardest units in first year to ensure you have a strong foundation for later years which will probably pay itself off.
Oh, where the changes made this year? Because i looked at some stats for i think Chem1901 and over 60% either got a D or HD for 2012.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)