BEng/BSc or BA/BSc ?? (1 Viewer)

skim993

HSC
Hey guys, I'm currently doing the BEng (Civil)/BDesArch and I'm hating the Architecture with a passion! I can easily drop the Architecture but I want to consider my other options because I don't see myself doing/enjoying straight Civil Engineering for the next 3 years.

So here's the dilemma: I was thinking of either of the combined degrees engineering/science or arts/science.

Arts/Science because I want to take up a language in the arts, and maybe government and international relations, linguistics, sociology etc.; I can go for mid-year entry; it's a 4 year degree. But people have told me that you can go into this degree and come out with nothing if you don't really know what you're going to do with it. I also have intentions to try out for post-grad Medicine, so the time factor is important for me...

Engineering/Science because, well, I'm technically already doing the Civil Engineering (though I haven't actually started doing any Engineering subjects) and it's been stressed upon me that in terms of career stability, Engineering is one of your best bets. With that said, I don't know whether I'd enjoy it THAT much- I chose the BEng/BDesArch because I thought I would really enjoy Architecture but I'm finding maths to be my little bit of heaven at the moment... so yeah.

If you guys have any wise words to relay to me, it would be much appreciated! Also, if anyone could tell me a bit more about what Civil Eng is like? That would also be cool :)

shakky

HSC
Irony is, I'm doing Arts/Science, and planning to transfer to Eng/Science. ahaha. And I have plans to do post grad med/pharmacy/dentistry. But I checked out the engineering site, and I'm not sure If i wanna hang out for 5 years. Besides I've only done 2 u maths and no physics. But in terms of Arts/Science, I feel that it would be a good prep for medicine not only clinically but professionally. At least I can combine a clinical science such as Neuroscience or Physiology with a good arts subject like music or english to broaden my horizons. I guess the nature of the Medicine is also based on social science and communication as much as it is on science. However Engineering (especially biomed) would open up many doors, even after you graduate from medical school. You have a better chance at biomedical research, and you would have greater understanding of the medical industry even before you start medicine. And Engineering is in demand, so you will get definitely get a job. Both degree's in my opinion appear very rewarding. I hope that helped in anyway :)

skim993

HSC
Thanks Shakky! You're right- I think doing Arts/Science will definitely prep you better for GAMSAT. But I was interested in doing it mainly because I would actually enjoy doing such subjects. It's just that a lot of people frown upon two such 'fluffy' subjects. If I wanted to do Eng/Science I would have to stick with Civil Engineering, otherwise I would waste time...

Also, if you're thinking of transferring into the Eng/Science, I strongly recommend going through maths and physics. I'm doing physics now and it's a LOT more concentrated than in high school haha

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)