Best Economics Textbook (2 Viewers)

ForbiddenND

HSC
SOOOOO many different opinions lol, so simply which combination of economic textbooks is best for year 11?

ttong

HSC
SOOOOO many different opinions lol, so simply which combination of economic textbooks is best for year 11?
honestly dont waste ur money on eco. txtbks for yr 11 (unless u really want to), save it for year 12 and start shopping. jst stick to the one ur school uses for now. for the record dixon and riley is a pretty good combo in my opinion, well for yr 12. cant say for yr 11 since i only used dixon

HSC
is the Cambridge Economics book any good?

We use that at school because our teacher said Dixon was too generalised and did not provide enough detail and Riley was in too much detail.

But sometimes, in class the teacher uses the Dixon and Riley books for making class notes.

dux&src

just a star-crossed lover
HSC
Hi, at school we use Tim Riley's textbooks..but I'm wondering if there are any textbooks/study guides/pocket books/etc that you would recommend to me, for prelim economics?..

because atm i have nothing for economics..:(

thanks.

supermike

HSC
N/A
enough about textbooks, guys!

what about study guides?

can anyone recommend some ?

or r they really not that necessary ???

ths

DarrenHomie

HSC
Re: What is the best HSC economics textbook? and workbook?

Are u guys serious buying all 3 textbooks???
i agree with pungpui past papers are the way to go. Even tho our school lets us hire the text book they give us for the year, past papers give u a better insight to what they are asking. I wouldnt go out and buy 3 text books, to many papers n too much money haha.

mrcalkin

Banned
HSC

leading edge workbook is pretty good

absorber

HSC

I'd like to think that Riley, with its bombardment of information, should be more useful than Dixon.
However, I reckon that Dixon's much better for understanding...Generally if I don't understand a concept in Dixon I look to Riley. I find Riley much more cumbersome and tiring, and at times I reckon it probably over complicates things. Riley seems to be more mathematics-based

studentcheese

HSC
The Tim Riley editions are all the same! Gah ~ wasted all my money for nothing.

Economist

HSC
For workbooks the best one I found was the Economic Skills and Activities Workbook for Prelim and also one for HSC by Stokes.

He also has a website with a lot of good stuff.

index

He wrote the syllabus so he should know what he is doing.:music:

chris1515

HSC
1. Excel Economics - gives a brief understanding of the course and explains everything simply

2. Tim Reily - gets into heaps of depth and helps to learn above and beyond the course. Helps to get into the higher bands

3. Past Papers - priceless, the more you do the better

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
leading edge textbook is good for content, but the questions in it are so...:( vague

Nikkay75

Flashbackk
HSC
1. Excel Economics - gives a brief understanding of the course and explains everything simply

2. Tim Reily - gets into heaps of depth and helps to learn above and beyond the course. Helps to get into the higher bands

3. Past Papers - priceless, the more you do the better

I couldn't agree more. This is the path I have been undertaking in my economics study. I'm surprised by the variety of responses to the Reilly textbook, I feel that it addresses the syllabus points and has a great deal depth in each topic. I do own the excel book but as previously mentioned it is only really a source to help you develop a basic understanding. I wouldn't advise anyone using this primarially to study for the HSC exams.

HSC
Economics books

I'm studying economics and i currently use
asutralian in the global economy by tim dixon plus workbk
i'm looking for another book to suppliment this text....does anybody know id the EXCEL HSC economics is good???

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
Re: Economics books

its a good cram book, but not good for learning concepts and stuff

manutd8

HSC

I'm studying economics and i currently use
asutralian in the global economy by tim dixon plus workbk
i'm looking for another book to suppliment this text....does anybody know id the EXCEL HSC economics is good???
its a terrible study guide dude. leadingedge economics study guide is pretty good.

Last edited:

zabra

HSC

it's ok but very simple and does not go into enough detail

Without Wings

Super Moderator
HSC
N/A

btw i'm new to this site, and i want to post a thread but i have no idea how, can someone explain?
To create a new thread:
Go to the forum you wish to create the thread in (eg: School forum)
In the top, left hand corner you will see a button "New Thread" click this.
Then complete the page that comes up with the content of the thread.

Note: There are some forums which are 'closed' i.e you cannot post new threads in these. In these forums the "New Thread" button will not appear.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)